[Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
Post Reply
lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7617
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:118

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by lee_yl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Yes, once or twice I forgot that someone in the family is still coughing so I cooked chicken. After eating the chicken, I do not think their cough got worse (although my mum always claims it does).

As for cold stuff, i once bought 50c ice-cream cone on a super hot day when I picked up the girls (McDonald’s opposite school), and the following day, I had to fork out $50 to bring DD2 to see GP. The same thing happens 2-3 times cos I forgot over time :clubmyself:
So no cold drinks/ice-cream on super hot days.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16296
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:161

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

lee_yl wrote:Yes, once or twice I forgot that someone in the family is still coughing so I cooked chicken. After eating the chicken, I do not think their cough got worse (although my mum always claims it does).

As for cold stuff, i once bought 50c ice-cream cone on a super hot day when I picked up the girls (McDonald’s opposite school), and the following day, I had to fork out $50 to bring DD2 to see GP. The same thing happens 2-3 times cos I forgot over time :clubmyself:
So no cold drinks/ice-cream on super hot days.
Even when not coughing?

My MIL has this 'rule' like cannot wash hands or whatever after coming home on a hot day. Nothing to do with white spots

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11498
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:227

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:29 am

Nebbermind wrote:
lee_yl wrote:So no cold drinks/ice-cream on super hot days.
Even when not coughing?

My MIL has this 'rule' like cannot wash hands or whatever after coming home on a hot day. Nothing to do with white spots
Some people are susceptible to sharp changes of temperature. Again, I think it's personal sensitivity. Those who aren't sensitive don't need to follow the same restrictions.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16296
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:161

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Some people are susceptible to sharp changes of temperature. Again, I think it's personal sensitivity. Those who aren't sensitive don't need to follow the same restrictions.
Ya, just sharing.
I'm just glad I didn't grow up with so many 'restrictions', for better or for worse.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11498
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:227

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

Nebbermind wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Some people are susceptible to sharp changes of temperature. Again, I think it's personal sensitivity. Those who aren't sensitive don't need to follow the same restrictions.
Ya, just sharing.
I'm just glad I didn't grow up with so many 'restrictions', for better or for worse.
I was asthmatic when young, and I grew up with lots of restrictions! Luckily, I outgrew the asthma, and my parents were happy to drop the restrictions over the years. I went through several years of quite bad eczema as well, when I had to be careful what I touched. Again, that wore off over the years, and I'm much less sensitive (and therefore much less careful) now. I try not to impose restrictions on my family as long as whatever-it-is doesn't seem to affect them.


MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 12230
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:50

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I was asthmatic when young too. dont remember controlling chicken intake just that take more of food/soup that could give 'heat' to body.

I heard from grandma's time that chicken will kinda prolonged/worsen the cough but I personally dont really follow. touch wood so far dont remember any family members having prolonged cough.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7468
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:77

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm

My mom was diagnosed to have asthma when she was 77 years old. It explains why her coughs usually are very long although she never had an asthma attack in her life. I guess it is good to check with respiratory specialist if often have lingering coughs.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16296
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:161

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm

ngl2010 wrote:My mom was diagnosed to have asthma when she was 77 years old. It explains why her coughs usually are very long although she never had an asthma attack in her life. I guess it is good to check with respiratory specialist if often have lingering coughs.
How long did the cough linger? Who suggested going to the specialist? Never occured to me that one can get asthma way into adulthood.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11498
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:227

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:My mom was diagnosed to have asthma when she was 77 years old. It explains why her coughs usually are very long although she never had an asthma attack in her life. I guess it is good to check with respiratory specialist if often have lingering coughs.
How long did the cough linger? Who suggested going to the specialist? Never occured to me that one can get asthma way into adulthood.
Yes, asthma can start later in life. I've been warned that since I was asthmatic in my youth, it's likely to come back one day. As in many ailments, your GP should be your first port of call. They are able to diagnose and control asthma. No need to see a specialist unless it's a very severe or complicated case.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7468
Joined: Tue May 24,
Total Likes:77

Re: [Fact or Myth] Cough and Chicken

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:My mom was diagnosed to have asthma when she was 77 years old. It explains why her coughs usually are very long although she never had an asthma attack in her life. I guess it is good to check with respiratory specialist if often have lingering coughs.
How long did the cough linger? Who suggested going to the specialist? Never occured to me that one can get asthma way into adulthood.
It was diagnosed when she was hospitalised. Usually her cough lingers for at least 3 weeks.

Post Reply