Side Effects of Lasik?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.
mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: Side Effects of Lasik?

Post by mummychua » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 am

i did lasik more than 10yrs ago. it is a successful surgery although i did have a little side effect from it like dry eyes and not that fantastic night vision due to halo. but then i had these problems even before the surgery. the freedom i got from the surgery outweigh the inconvenient.

this is certainly a cosmetics surgery where one should put in serious thoughts before signing on the consent form.

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Gilian039 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm

My husband underwent lasik a year ago. His dry eyes did trouble him a bit for 3 months, after that he is absolutely thrilled with his vision now.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:244

Post by floppy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
vinegar wrote:I hv done lasik abt 20yrs ago. Last yr i started to wear spec due to 老花。not sure if that is side effect of lasik or old age.
Age. You had 20 years which is good. My husband only did Lasik at 40 yrs old so he didn't have so many years before presbyopia hit.
I had close to 20 years of goodness as well. Lasik was the best investment I had made.
Unfortunately, I can also feel my presbyopia setting in.

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Michy79 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 am

I had Lasik on both eyes. I was 20/400 in my left and off the chart in my right eye. After Lasik, I was 20/20 in my left and 20/10 in my right. However I was light sensitive four about 2 years after the procedure.

Vanz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Vanz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 am

I had Lasik in 2015 and it was the best decision I ever made. 1. Lasers correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. You are awake. No medications are given. 2. The actual surgery does not hurt. You will feel pressure from the suction cup on your eye but that is not painful. 3. After Lasik, my vision went to 20/15... even better than 20/20!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by Estéema » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 am

Vanz wrote:I had Lasik in 2015 and it was the best decision I ever made. 1. Lasers correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. You are awake. No medications are given. 2. The actual surgery does not hurt. You will feel pressure from the suction cup on your eye but that is not painful. 3. After Lasik, my vision went to 20/15... even better than 20/20!
Isn't this over-correction? That's not good

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by Estéema » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 pm

I've never opt for lasik even when I was working with the ophthalmologists years back.

Have you wonder why eye surgeons are wearing glasses & almost none get eyesight corrected by lasik? Lots of risks involved.

Risks of LASIK include:

Dry eyes. LASIK surgery causes a temporary decrease in tear production. For the first six months or so after your surgery, your eyes may feel unusually dry as they heal. Dry eyes can reduce the quality of your vision.

Your eye doctor might recommend that you use eyedrops during this time. If you experience severe dry eyes, you could opt for another procedure to get special plugs put in your tear ducts to prevent your tears from draining away from the surface of your eyes.

Glare, halos and double vision. After surgery you may have difficulty seeing at night. You might notice glare, halos around bright lights or double vision. This generally lasts a few days to a few weeks.

Even when a good visual result is measured under standard testing conditions, your vision in dim light (such as at dusk or in fog) may be reduced to a greater degree after the surgery than before the surgery.

Undercorrections. If the laser removes too little tissue from your eye, you won't get the clearer vision results you were hoping for. Undercorrections are more common for people who are nearsighted. You may need another LASIK procedure within a year to remove more tissue.

Overcorrections. It's also possible that the laser will remove too much tissue from your eye. Overcorrections may be more difficult to fix than undercorrections.

Astigmatism. Astigmatism can be caused by uneven tissue removal. It may require additional surgery, glasses or contact lenses.
Flap problems. Folding back or removing the flap from the front of your eye during surgery can cause complications, including infection and excess tears. The outermost corneal tissue layer (epithelium) may grow abnormally underneath the flap during the healing process.

Vision loss or changes. Rarely, you may experience loss of vision due to surgical complications. Some people also may not see as sharply or clearly as previously.

Abv are for your discernment & consideration before embarking.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 pm

SNEC and other private practitioners are always organizing public talks on Eyesight corrections.
I have attended the SNEC talks, paid a nominal fee of $5/-with light refreshments provided.

The speaker is usually a senior surgeon who wears glasses. His reason for not undergoing lasik himself is the costs was still high donkey years ago. Whereas now he has aged and would be experiencing presbyopia soon, so no point correcting shortsightedness via lasik.

Look out for the SNEC talk published in the Straits Times.

doodbug
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by doodbug » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm

The older ophthalmologists tend to be bespectacled but among the younger ones, a good number of them (and other doctors as well) have undergone Lasik.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 am