Less expensive GP in Sengkang?

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Less expensive GP in Sengkang?

Postby Devnahouse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm looking for an alternative less expensive GP around Sengkang area. Our usual clinic Healthway at Rivervale Plaza is charging rocket price. My DH last visit for a skin infection problem, came back with a antiseptic cream and moisturiser, cost is $45!. Our second last visit for DD cough was close to $90!

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby schweppes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Wow! That sounds expensive. What about Raffles Medical Group at Compass Point? We used to stay in Punggol and my family wd go there whenever we fall ill. I thought the rates were quite reasonable - usually about $30 for consultation and medication.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Less expensive GP in Sengkang?

Postby KingRascal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

wow..but was the visit for cough done at the evening hours or weekend/PH? Most clinics do impose an inflated fees for such timings.

yup, RMG charges reasonable rates.

Devnahouse wrote:I'm looking for an alternative less expensive GP around Sengkang area. Our usual clinic Healthway at Rivervale Plaza is charging rocket price. My DH last visit for a skin infection problem, came back with a antiseptic cream and moisturiser, cost is $45!. Our second last visit for DD cough was close to $90!

KingRascal
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby concern2 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Have you tried Rivervale Mall instead of Plaza? I think Doc. Lee is the most empathetic Doc I've ever come across. Whenever I bring my kids there, he'd ask if I have still have the medication he's going to prescribe (e.g. paracetemol). If I have enough of it, he'll not prescribe.

On one occasion, my whole family was sick and he specially prescribed me something which won't cause drowsiness, knowing I'd have to attend to the kids at night.

However, the downside of it all is that he's the most popular house Doc there, so there's often a long queue...

My bills had never cost anything that high...

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Devnahouse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Can't remember the timing we went for her persistent cough but I know we went at non-peak hour. The young doctor prescribed about 5 types of other medications for my daughter even though her syndrome was just cough. And my husband, the one who brought her there never questioned why. :roll: In the end she recovered but little due to the medicine.

The cost at healthway is always high. It has raised its fees from $28 + to $30-40 range and recently, easily cross $50 for a simple diagnosis. I also suspected they inflated a few dollars as well for Civil Service Card's patients

I went to Raffles medical @ Compass Point a few times before. Queue was long. I find the usual stationed doctor is a man of few words and like very low morale. Not sure whether he is still there.

GP around Hougang Mall, Hougang Plaza? I think there is one called Seah Clinic near to 2 coffee shop, is the GP ok? Anyone visited?

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:20 am

I stay at Punggol.

There's 2 clinics I've tried around SK/PG and I think the charges are reasonable.

Buangkok Medical Centre (opp. the 24hour NTUC)
Look out for the female doc (Dr. Elaine). She very nice and patient, especially with children. My boy loves her. Price is still alright compared to the other clinics in this area. Long clinic opening hours, 8am - 11pm. However, there are surcharges if you go after 8pm.

My Family Clinic (Punggol) - at 301 Punggol Central (Same block as the new Sheng Siong)
Female doc only available on Thursday night. Rest of the time is a male doc who is very detailed. Price is alright too. Only open in the morning and evenings. Charges in the evenings slightly more exp.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Devnahouse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks parents for your advice/recommendation.

We visited Dr Lee at Rivervale Mall instead due to it's proximity. Price was fifty plus. Though not lower than $50 but in general Dr Lee appears to be much professional, equivalent to Dr Tang of Healthway. We will definitely go to Dr Lee again if needed.

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby carebear » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Just want to know how do you choose a family doctor?
Which is more important?
Price
Gender of the doctor
Outlook of the clinic
Clinic assistants?

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Medico2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Devanhouse,
For affordability, i suggest you avoid the big medical groups like healthway and RMJ because:
1) they charge GST
2) Basic consultation is higher than smaller GP outfits because they need to pay the salary of the employed doctor (the dr usually doesnt have a stake in the clinic...just a regular salaried worker) plus they are a listed company, so need high profits to pay shareholders!
I rather see GPs who own the clinic because they provide better personalised service and more dedicated to patient care since the owner-GP has to fight for his rice bowl.

Medico2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Vevey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:29 pm

U can try Olive Tree at Blk 303 SK.
His med is quite effective even tho he is a man of few (choice) words & usually no sitting space in the run-down clinic (can wait at coffeeshop or playground instead).

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Health