Probiotics

A healthy body is most important for any child or adult. Discuss all issues related to health in this forum.

Probiotics

Postby schweppes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Happybirdks wrote:Hi schweppes

May I know if there is any shops selling the Cultruelle or ThreeLac brand you mentioned. Personally I am not comfortable buying brands not sold in Singapore. What if it is recalled in their countries due to harmful chemicals? We won't be able to know.

Hi Happybirdks
Sure, I fully understand your concerns. A friend and user of ThreeLac recommended this brand of probiotics to me last year. As it was not available in Spore then, I went online and bought from Amazon.com. So far, quite happy with the purchase.

However, recently I found out that there is this shop in Telok Blangah that sells both Threelac and Culturelle priobiotics. The details are:

Back to Basics Alternative Diet
Blk 88A, Telok Blangah Heights, #01-01
Tel: 6276 0872
Email: orderb2bdiet@yahoo.com.sg

Op hrs: Tues - Fri 11am - 7pm; Sat 11am - 6pm

A box of Culturelle (30 capsules) costs $39 and a box of Threelac (60 sachets) costs $91. Only need to take one capsule OR sachet a day.

Just wish to clarify that a person need not take both products at the same time. They are 2 different brands and I am giving u the prices for both brands for your comparison.

I know the prices are on the high side. If you want to find out more about the two brands, you can google search and go to Amazon.com to read the testimonials and feedback. So far, most of them are positive.

The only downside to the shop, Back 2 Basics is that it is out of the way.Only one bus goes there (sori, can't remember which one) and it is located on the first floor of a Multi-story car park. THe location is inconvenient but I think that's how the owner passed on her savings to customers to keep costs as affordable as possible.

For info, I know Vitakids sells the brand Culturelle too. However, the price at Vitakids is so much higher as they are selling it at $55 (if not mistaken), compared to the Back2Basics shop which sells for only $39. So the inconvenient location to Telok Blangah is worth making a trip because of better pricing.

Actually, the best day to visit the shop is on Saturday as that's when the owner is around to manage the shop. She's rather knowledgeable and would be able to advise u better. She sells other supplments, vitamins and organic food at her shop too.

Btw, just wish to clarify that I do not personally know the owner at Back 2 Basics nor do I have a commercial gain in the recommendation. But as we always say in KSP, good things must share

Hope the above helps. :celebrate:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:33 pm

westmom wrote:Schweppes... I was recommended the brand OMX by Dr Ohhira (Japan) for probiotics. It is for general health and healthy colon. There's a Spore distributor too. Pls let me know whether it is also good through your readings?

Hi Westmom, sorry, have not heard nor come across the product, OMX by Dr Ohhira (Japan) before, so I can't comment.

To find out more information and the efficacy of a particular brand or health product, I wd go to Amazon.com and do a search, and then read the testimonials and feedback of previous users of the product. If the feedback is more positive (than negative), then it says somethin about that particular brand or health product.

I know this is not the most reliable way, but at least some information is better than none at all.

:celebrate:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Happybirdks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am

Hi schweppes

thanks for the info on culturelle and threelac.

seems that the latter is very popular on amazon. however it was also mentioned that some people have certain reaction to it in the beginning, like headaches, tiredness, tummy cramps etc.

do you personally encounter such issues?

Happybirdks
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tree nymph » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 am

Sorry to butt in.

I can also recommend BioGaia probiotics. You can get it from Kinder Clinics at $60+GST. May need a consultation first though before you can get it.

Hi schweppes,

Thanks for the lobang for Back to Basics! I wanted to try culturelle probiotics myself. will check out the place soon.

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:15 am

Happybirdks wrote:Hi schweppes

thanks for the info on culturelle and threelac.

seems that the latter is very popular on amazon. however it was also mentioned that some people have certain reaction to it in the beginning, like headaches, tiredness, tummy cramps etc.

This is usually known as the "healing crisis". In other words, as the probiotics take effect, our bodies go thru a healing crisis or a yeast die-off, where the side effects are headaches, tiredness or tummy cramps. Hw, different individuals may have different reactions to the health product.

This is part of the detox process, where the body gets rid of wastes first before it can regenerate itself.

You can google search "healing crisis" to find out more. I've included one URL link for your convenience, http://www.upwardquest.com/healing-crisis.html

Happybirdks wrote:do you personally encounter such issues?

For my family and myself, we did not suffer from any side effects when we took the probio. Maybe a bit more irritable and grumpy during the healing crisis period. But after that, we were ok.

Actually, a few years back, my dds went thru a healing crisis. But this was not from taking the probio. Their symptoms were being "flu-ey". In other words, it looks like they have the flu and sniffles. Sori... going to sound gross here, but they had thick green mucus running from their nose. This went on for 2 weeks or so. But they were not sick. They were behaving normal, still active and getting into mischief.

I read up about it and checked with a friend and she also mentioned the healing crisis. So, I just gave them lots of water and continued as per normal. Hw, I must qualify that I relied on my own instinct (i think mother's instinct very powerful) and just knew that they were ok. On the other hand, dh was concerned and brought dds to doctor who also said that there was nothing wrong with them.

So, I guess different ppl react differently. But if something does not feel right or if u feel discomfort, then best to stop the product immediately. :celebrate:
Last edited by schweppes on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 am

tree nymph wrote:Sorry to butt in.

I can also recommend BioGaia probiotics. You can get it from Kinder Clinics at $60+GST. May need a consultation first though before you can get it.

Hi tree nymph
Not butting in lah... :lol: Good to share, at least I know what are the other options out there.

tree nymph wrote:Thanks for the lobang for Back to Basics! I wanted to try culturelle probiotics myself. will check out the place soon.

Hope u can find the place. Very out-of-the-way. Or at least for me, since I live in the East :lol:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blobbi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:54 pm

My son is taking probiotics on the advice of a naturopath. The brand is American Health from Vitakids, at +$20 a bottle. He takes 2 tablets a day. This is to improve his nutrition, his numerous little allergies, and hopefully increase his appetite (his size is very kacang cos he didn't sleep or eat much before; I'm forcing him to sleep early these days - lie down and rest also good).

I guess it's good for adults too, but I didn't think about it till I read this thread. Will do more research. Tks, Schweppes!

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:15 pm

pssst Blobbi... u have pm :D

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blobbi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 pm

schweppes wrote:pssst Blobbi... u have pm :D

:udawoman: :udawoman:

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

aiyoh Blobbi... momentarily blinded by your thank yous... but u are most welcome :hugs:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Health