Auction 2013-4: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

KiasuParents.com holds regular auctions to give away valuable products to the highest bidders, not with cash, but with KiasuPoints! Earn your KiasuPoints by contributing just your opinions to the community and get a chance bid for great products!

Auction 2013-4: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Auction Date: Fri 3 May 2013
Auction Time: 2200hrs (10pm)
Prize: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (WIFI, no ads edition)
Starting Bid Price: 1 KP$
Bid Timer: 15 seconds

To play in the Auction, you must go to the online auction page. Click here to access the page. You may continue to discuss about the Auction in this thread.

To find out how to play in our Kiasu Auctions, click here.

To find out how you can earn KiasuPoint$, click here.

-----

Thanks to everyone who have participated in our trial Auctions and helped us test and fine-tune our new Kiasu Auction platform! We are now ready for our first full Auction with real prizes!

At stake is the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. Tom's Hardware describes it as possibly the best e-book reader in the market. I have used it personally, and concur with that observation. It is a must have for the ardent reader, especially if reading in bed at night is a habit you cannot quite get rid of! And in my humble opinion, it is much better to give a child a Kindle e-book reader than an iPad or other tablets, because the child can only use it to read, and not get addicted to games or acquire undesirable social habits. Also, the e-ink display is less taxing on the eyes, allowing kids to read for as long as they want with no more stress on their eyes as would paper-based books. Even better, the device is lighter than a paperback, so it won't take up weight at all as you lug it around.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Auction 2013-4: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm

The Paperwhites are here! My fingers are itching so bad to open them... but they are only for the Kiasu Auction Winners :). Win the Auctions and you can pick them up immediately (and save them from my itchy fingers :evil: ).

The first one is on this Friday night, 10:00pm sharp. Bid timer set at 15s. Load up on your KiasuPoints and shoot away!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm

chief,

A stupid qn. This kindle got 3G?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:chief,

A stupid qn. This kindle got 3G?

No 3G, just Wifi. I'm not sure if 3G on an ebook reader makes a lot of sense, and I always turn off the wifi on my device to conserve power. If you need to sync on the go, you can always tether the device to your smartphone's 3G via its wifi connection, or use a mifi dongle which works with any wifi device.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed May 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Initially I was not interested in the kindle but now :drool: after watching the product launch by amazon LOL

Holding on to the mantra that I love turning pages of a real book LOL

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:Initially I was not interested in the kindle but now :drool: after watching the product launch by amazon LOL

The e-reader is a much better gift for a child than a tablet. OK, it doesn't give the reader the satisfaction of turning a page, but it beats having to bring along heavy books on trips and lessons. No Angry birds for kids to get get addicted to, either :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:Initially I was not interested in the kindle but now :drool: after watching the product launch by amazon LOL

The e-reader is a much better gift for a child than a tablet. OK, it doesn't give the reader the satisfaction of turning a page, but it beats having to bring along heavy books on trips and lessons. No Angry birds for kids to get get addicted to, either :)

My kids have never played Angry Birds heehee.

I do like the features on the Kindle, things I never even realised I wanted LOL.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

Is it suitable for a P2 boy? Too early to get him hooked onto gadgets?

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm

TheAnswer wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:

Is it suitable for a P2 boy? Too early to get him hooked onto gadgets?

You can bid the prize for yourself :evil:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Chief.. Is the Auction at 2100hrs (9pm) or 2200hrs (10pm)? You wrote "2100hrs (10pm)"...

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Kiasu Auctions