Working With Difficult Colleague

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Working With Difficult Colleague

Postby snowball » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Dear All,

How do you react when you staff keep pushing away jobs that u assigned and pretending very very busy but always on the phone, facebook, ebay when u not around ? :stupid:

Dont tell me to tell the boss, boss will take no action, because boss trust that u can handle such trivial issue since u are the senior. :(

But your staff dont take u as the senior, alway " no big no smaller" ( becos have been long term colleague for more than 8 yrs ) :cry:

Is truth that now, after promotion, is kind of difficult to "enforce" superiortiy , surely she not "fu" u lor :x

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Working With Difficult Colleague

Postby Dark Hope » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:11 pm

snowball wrote:Dear All,

How do you react when you staff keep pushing away jobs that u assigned and pretending very very busy but always on the phone, facebook, ebay when u not around ? :stupid:

Dont tell me to tell the boss, boss will take no action, because boss trust that u can handle such trivial issue since u are the senior. :(

But your staff dont take u as the senior, alway " no big no smaller" ( becos have been long term colleague for more than 8 yrs ) :cry:

Is truth that now, after promotion, is kind of difficult to "enforce" superiortiy , surely she not "fu" u lor :x

maybe you can try treating them for dinner and building the relationship and slowly letting them know your difficulty in your shoe by being sandwich after the promotion. they might think you are using the authority to show acts on them. as times flies slowly things will improve ... never give up .. and all the best Jia Yu!

Dark Hope
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby snowball » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:06 am

I correct myself.

It is not a promotion ( cos salary not increased ) :stupid:

Job with higher responsibility increased :x

Somemore, must cover & responsible for colleagues' duties during their absence :cry:

Come to think of it.....i also don know y i can stay here for so many years :?

But boss is good to me :love:

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

set & communicate mutually agreed Performance Indicators

monitor performance against it

tankee
Site Admin

Postby fussyMummy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 am

snowball wrote:I correct myself.

It is not a promotion ( cos salary not increased ) :stupid:

Job with higher responsibility increased :x

Somemore, must cover & responsible for colleagues' duties during their absence :cry:

Come to think of it.....i also don know y i can stay here for so many years :?

But boss is good to me :love:

your situation is quite similar with me... :celebrate:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasu_pig » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 pm

I take a skeptic view towards relationships in a workplace - colleagues are meant to stay as colleagues, not friends - but friends with ex-colleagues can still remained. Friends cannot be colleagues, becos each has their own personal agenda. To get work done, one has to be affirmative, and sometimes play the "bad guy" unfortunately. Afterall we are all paid to work and to deliver. Each of us has our own responsibilities towards our families.

I also take an alternate view to treat subordinates e.g. meals, gifts etc for a good job done or just "to-build-relationship". The reason being such treats, once started, would be difficult to stop; and the subordinates would progressively expect treats to work (although they are paid in the first place to work). Naturally if one's position is higher than the other, one has to win over their subordinates with their leadership, motivation, competence, and most important of all, the ability to stay firm to "reward" for good performance and to "punish" for poor performance. Rewards in this case would be in the form of recongnition of effort in appraisal reports, grab higher pay inclement or bonus for subordinates etc.

Nevertheless, I believe by the words that one would become more lonely as one climbs higher up the corporate ladder. That's where family comes in, because while it gets increasingly lonely ascenting to the summit, it's the family who would be there to accompany one's journey to the summit and to remain at the summit for as long as possible.

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30 am

:thankyou:

I Love Your message, it really really helps !!! :udaman:

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

fussyMummy wrote:
your situation is quite similar with me... :celebrate:

Hi fussyMummy,

How similar is yours ? care to share & "vent" our frustrations ? :evil:

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cotton candy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am

kiasu_pig wrote:I take a skeptic view towards relationships in a workplace - colleagues are meant to stay as colleagues, not friends - but friends with ex-colleagues can still remained. Friends cannot be colleagues, becos each has their own personal agenda. To get work done, one has to be affirmative, and sometimes play the "bad guy" unfortunately. Afterall we are all paid to work and to deliver. Each of us has our own responsibilities towards our families.

I also take an alternate view to treat subordinates e.g. meals, gifts etc for a good job done or just "to-build-relationship". The reason being such treats, once started, would be difficult to stop; and the subordinates would progressively expect treats to work (although they are paid in the first place to work). Naturally if one's position is higher than the other, one has to win over their subordinates with their leadership, motivation, competence, and most important of all, the ability to stay firm to "reward" for good performance and to "punish" for poor performance. Rewards in this case would be in the form of recongnition of effort in appraisal reports, grab higher pay inclement or bonus for subordinates etc.

Nevertheless, I believe by the words that one would become more lonely as one climbs higher up the corporate ladder. That's where family comes in, because while it gets increasingly lonely ascenting to the summit, it's the family who would be there to accompany one's journey to the summit and to remain at the summit for as long as possible.

Well said~ :salute:

cotton candy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Working With Difficult Colleague

Postby Yong HL » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am

snowball wrote:Dear All,

I suppose you do not appraise this staff during performance appraisal period?

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Relationships