Addiction or Choice?

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Addiction or Choice?

Postby lisadrome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Addiction and Diesease

I would not feel comfortable using the term “diesease” when discussing reasons why a person exhibits addictive behavior. I would prefer to use the term biologically predisposed along with choices a person makes in how they exhibit addictive behavior. Addiction can comes in all forms and a person can be addicted to almost anything in today’s society.The question of why people use addictive substances lies at the heart of the reason of how use precipitates into abuse and dependence.

People may be embarrassed to admit that they suffer from something like depression and feel that drug use is more acceptable in their peer group.Many things cross my mind when writting a blog on addiction.... one of which we as a society view addiction as somewhat a social acceptance or in a teenagers' point of view seen as 'popular' and 'common-thing'.This could be due to fact that addiction seems to connotate with 'being part of the social-norm' in television, among peers and even in the family or community one gets influenced. Just to name a few additions; glue-sniffing, shopping, internet, smoking, high alchohol consumption, gambling, caffeine, taking drugs, but it reality it all boils down to one question- are these a Choice if not just an Addiction which SHEILDS me.Seeing in view of an addiction, one is more likely to seek refuge by this term 'addiction' as a 'SHIELD' but really is it?? Only you will know it!

What kind of addictions are you facing and how are you seeing it as a Choice?

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Is Choice = Self Control?

Postby lisadrome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Here's a story to relate to...

My cousin's dad is an alcoholic and from their side of the family sadly I can completely see that the next generation in their family are most likely to be genetically predisposed to the effects of alcohol. Luckily for my cousin, she had a higher tolerances although her brother who actually has gotten into quite a bit of trouble due to his inability to control his own actions especially with drinking and driving.

So why is it not about self- control then-- well my cousin said knew from a very young age that she didn't want to follow in her father's patterns and have just maintained a distance from various types 'traps' that could eventually result to getting addicted to alcohol. This includes anything from avoiding binge party drinking where she escaped from falling a prey to the unfortunate social consequence that both her family members are enduring.

Similarly, its not about self-control its about not needing an excuse to prove and get pity for their unfortunate sickness.

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hihikitty » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:07 am

Another point to share. Children with ADHD if they are not taught self control skills from young are more likely to pick up addictive habits like smoking and alcoholics when they grow into adulthood.

hihikitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

HI kitty

Postby lisadrome » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:01 pm

I didn't know that :?
Is there someone whom you know who has ADHD>?

I read somewhere and found that children with ADHD are likely to make very risky choices-- i believe this include addictions too...

Thanks for sharing kitty...

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Relationships