How do you spend your weekends?

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

How do you spend your weekends?

Postby Pan8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Just wondering how do you spend your weekends and holidays?
with your spouse and kids only?
with in-laws , relatives , friends etc...

Is it normal that your in-laws (mil/ fil/sil/bil etc....) or your own slibings to be join in your family activities every Sat & Sun?

Are you neglecting others if you are spend every weekends with the same group of people?

As a working parent sometimes I find it very hard to juggle between parents /in-laws / slibings / friends / kids's schoolwork.

My in-laws constantly want to join us every weekend that left me no time to rest and my kids not much time to do their schoolwork.

Are they being selfish?

Pan8888
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby EatNonStop » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm

pan8888 wrote :
Just wondering how do you spend your weekends and holidays?

Is it normal that your in-laws (mil/ fil/sil/bil etc....) or your own slibings to be join in your family activities every Sat & Sun?

Are you neglecting others if you are spend every weekends with the same group of people?

As a working parent sometimes I find it very hard to juggle between parents /in-laws / slibings / friends / kids's schoolwork.

My hubby has a group of University friends which he keeps in touch till now. The Men's wives became good frens thus my family is always outing with this circle of friends which I am very glad to have.
My mil hates to go Zoo, watch movies or any form of physical activities. Haha....then I always plan ahead weekends programs with these activities lor which mean my mil will automatic volunteer not to join in. :celebrate:
I normally have quarterly gatherings with ex-colleagues and friends but only weekdays after work. Thus I will ask hubby to arrange earlier knock off time to look after kids.
As for my kids, everyday 30mins to 1 hour for school work and assessment after dinner. Any extra homework will need to finish in the weekends morning before we go outing cos they will be too tired after the event.
I pick up baking and cooking interest which is a form of stress release for me whenever I feel down or demoralize of something. Seeing the "fruits" after the baking/cooking will light me up. Thus it will be good if you divert some attention to something you feel good after doing so you wont feel down maybe perhaps exercsing?

Everyday is not a rosy day, with many responsibilities and roles to play like wife/mother/daughter/dil/ftwm/tutor/friend etc.plus many other "unnessary noises eg mil nonsenses" adding in..its almost impossible to catch up on everything . Lighten your heart and I believe you can figure out a time management that best suit you. :D

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EatNonStop » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm

By the way, I am maidless and never be able to meet mil "expections"...I dun really care what she thinks of me cos I far able to manage household cores compare to her the other dil and her own daughter thus she better dun complaint which she never infront of me but "thru" kids which actually I very detest...still figuring out how I should manage that :|

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How do you spend your weekends?

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Pan8888 wrote:Just wondering how do you spend your weekends and holidays?

My in-laws constantly want to join us every weekend that left me no time to rest and my kids not much time to do their schoolwork.

Are they being selfish?

Our Sunday dinner is alway family time with FIL, and BIL's fam. unless once a while we can't make it (eg meeting up with friends), den it's off. it has become a norm to us. usually we meet up with friends on sat or weekday nites. if kids got work not finished, we either bring the work there to do or go home earlier. i think it's good family bonding time esp for the kids.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Our weekends are filled with ferrying kids for enrichment classes and CCAs.

We also take to playing badminton on saturday evening with my hubby's siblings and bils. So effectively our evening are with them but it's good as we exercise together. Once a month, we would have a family gathering at our place since pils stay with us.

On sunday, it's more with my parents in the noon as kids have enrichment classes near their house.

When exams are round the corner, sunday night also need to be allocated for studying.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:11 pm

My kids still do not have much homework. Will get them to finish whatever homework they have on Friday night.

Saturday is golf day for DH. I will send the kids for their enrichment and thereafter run my errands, groceries, banking, etc. Pick kids up from their class, have lunch, head home, put away the groceries while the kids practise their piano and learn whatever spelling or tingxie they have. Late afternoon, we will head to my parents place and stay there till after dinner.

Sundays, swimming lessons for them in the morning. Sometimes we will meet up with my friends who have kids the same age group as mine. Other times we will bring them cyling or roller blading, whatever catches our fancy. Once in a while, PILs will want to come over so when PILs come over, I usually find something to do, like bake (you know need to relieve stress :P )

So still quite leisurely for now.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pan8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:24 pm

We have enrichment class on both Sat & Sunday (morning to afternoon)
So most of the time we will head back home to rest and let the kids to finish whatever homework and after that dinner at PIL house (every wkend)

Sometimes we will go outing with my owm parent or sliblings.
What boil me up :x is that no matter where we go or if I bring kids out alone without DH.
My mil or DH will insist that I need to rush back to have dinner with them. So I have to end everthing at 6pm.
After dinner, me and my kids will have to stay until 10pm in order to entertain them and let my kids played with sil kids.
Or sometimes, sil will come up with programme after dinner that we have to join in too. (after a wholeday outside and poor kids didn't take their bath) :stupid:

Mostly my mil or sil planned programme without my consent that we have to go after my kids classes. Really think they are lunatic :x
Show no respect for others.

Especially mil and sil think that I'm also free to go as and when they decided.
* ps: I'm a working parent who need to fetch kids everyday that got no time to do housework.
Sil is wrking too but got maid and her kids r small, so plenty of time to play.

Now I pray hard :pray: that sil and mil got their own friends to go out. Stop sticking to us like glue everyweek.
And DH will understand my feeling too. (put me and kids infront of others first) :?:

:cry:

Pan8888
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby teh_oh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi,

Just to share my typical weekends.

I am a Sahm, situation much better than Ftwm in this aspect.

I try to schedule visiting of In-Laws during the weekdays as we stay quite near to their place. Our usual schedule is one weekday visit after the children dismiss from school and one Saturday dinner.

Saturday morning is outing day (eg brunch/lunching out), afternoon let the child catch up on his outstanding work and evening dinner with In Laws and 'Games Night' (we play board games after dinner or child plays chess with grandparents).

Sundays morning, we will do some revision then leave for enrichment classes. After fetching my children from enrichment class, I will hang out at my mum's place while my husband chill out at the Ya Kun nearby or do some shopping (yes, he loves to shop to destress :D ). I'll try to schedule visiting my mum on weekdays too as and when my husband is convenient to fetch us so as to free up Sundays.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Week-ends are busy! The kids have music, football, swimming on the week-ends. We also have cellgroup meetings on Sat evenings and we head for church on Sunday mornings. Fortunately, most of these activities are near our home so we don't have to spend all our time criss-crossing the island. We are often able to spend pockets of time resting at home. No homework etc. we just let the kids play.

As my mum and in laws come round to our place during the week, we aren't obliged to meet up with them over the weekend. My parents used to try to get us to go back, but after countless times of me rejecting them (bad daughter!), they have given up asking! DH works really long hours, and we only have the week-ends as a family, so I don't really want to spend it with my parents, especially since we already see my mum several times a week.

We always eat out. I used to cook over the week-ends, but DH would rather spend time with me than have me slaving in the kitchen. Or maybe it's a hint that he doesn't like my cooking!!!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby LOLMum » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

currently for me, kids and i will go to my sis's house for dinner on sat nite (to spend time with both my sisters and honestly i want to take a break from cooking and washing up).

sat and sun are free days for us except for ds who has chinese tuition at home on sat afternoon. but as dd has lots of homework, project, she prefers to stay at home and do them cum chat with her friends (london and local) on the internet.

ds will spread out his homework over the 2 days and he likes to swim and play with his toys. both my kids dont really like to go out that much.

if dh is around, he would prefer to stay at home too to relax and maybe pick a quarrel or two with dd (he's neat and she's messy accoding to their own standard).

sometimes we will meet friends but most of the time, we perfer to be on our own and be lazy. we can stay indoor for the whole 2 days and loving it.
Last edited by LOLMum on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Relationships