BGR for a 13 year old

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.
jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Re: BGR for a 13 year old

Post by jetsetter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:This leads me to a question....
Say for the child is about 15yrs old.
If you are acquainted with your child's friend's parent (possibly thru your child), and come to know that your child's friend is in a BGR, would you inform the parent ? What if it nothing serious, nothing hanky panky?

And conversely , you want to be informed if your child did not confide in you?

I won't inform the other side. I'll just monitor at my end.

If that friend comes from a troubled background, I'll tell my child to end it. If friend comes from a respectable family, I won't wanna be involved because I know it's just puppy love. But if the other side comes complaining to me abt my child, then I'll intervene and tell my child to end the r/s and walk away with his head up high.

There're tell-tales signs that parents can spot, even if the child doesn't open up to you. Teenagers (esp girls) under "kissing spells" will appear pretty drugged/spaced out all day long. You can look out for love bites too. Or check their HP history (or diaries) discreetly.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Post by Funz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:On the other hand I wonder , if DD were to be linked up with someone, and if she doesnt share it with me, even though we are pretty close, wouldnt I want to know?

I would want to know. But I will also want DD to tell me herself when she is ready.

Unless the guy is totally unsuitable or of questionable morals, I really would prefer not the hear from others.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:41 pm

jetsetter wrote:
TheAnswer wrote:
jetsetter wrote:13yo is way too young for BGR, though I had quite a lot of secret admirers at that age!

I dunno if I had a lot of admirers when I was 13-18.. But I had a lot of gfs who hated me :shrug:

That problem I didn't hv. My gfs loved me deep deep... :smile:

If they hated you, they are not real friend la.
Last edited by sleepy on Mon May 05, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttlkbs
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by ttlkbs » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Seem that this is a norm in the school as I knew there are a few couples in the campus and all of them are very opened about their relationship. They posted pics in instagram, FB etc. They are very different from us at this age. Just like my DS always says, our eras are different. We had been through this growing phase of life too and the only difference is we hid such bgr from our parents but the kids nowadays announced to the whole world (except to the parents officially).
He knows his mother will stalk him in instagram n fb but he is not worried at all.
O level is drawing near, thinking hard how to touch on this sensitive topic to him who is now at the rebellious age?

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

jetsetter wrote:13yo is way too young for BGR, though I had quite a lot of secret admirers at that age!

Woaaahhhhh! ......... you must be very pretty at that time? :drool:

Beatrice_NoQ
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Beatrice_NoQ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:26 pm

No.. 13 is definitely too young. However, if the kid wants to secretly start dating behind the parents' back, it's not something we can control. Perhaps, establish an open line of communication so you will be able to keep track of the relationship's progression?

Ovencookies
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Ovencookies » Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 am

ya too young! plus the kids at this age may be very curious if you know what I mean. definitely must keep under close observation :boogie: