Do you bring yr parents/inlaws for tours/travelling?

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Do you bring yr parents/inlaws for tours/travelling?

Postby mummyJune » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

hi everyone, how often do you bring yr parents & inlaws to travel? do you fork out for their expenses as well?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Do you bring yr parents/inlaws for tours/travelling?

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi,

We do. Reason being that I am the only child so my parents can only depend on me. Meanwhile for pils, we stay together and quite pai seh to only bring my parents and not them. We used to do alternate year. Eg. this yr, go with my parents, then next year, bring my pils.

But starting from last year, we decided to bring all them together. So last year, we did a F&E in HK with 9 of us. (Pils, parents, 3 kids + us). This year, we are going to do Taiwan but this time round, one of my sils is joining us so that will be 13 of us. Sounds fun.

Obviously we've to pay for them. Eg. airfare and accomodation. For my parents, I also have to cater additional spending $ for them.

Hubby and I once had a conversation on this. He was like... if not for holidays, we can save $x every year. I was like... his parents are already in their mid 70's and my parents in their 60's. How many more 10, 20 years do they have that we can bring them for hols??? So don't think so much, do it while we can.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummyJune » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:02 pm

my & hubby plan to visit japan again. this time with 2kids & he plans to bring his parents & my parents along. obviously, we ve to pay for all of them, but i was thinking whether is it ok to get my brother to sponsor abit for my parents ...

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:08 pm

mummyJune wrote:my & hubby plan to visit japan again. this time with 2kids & he plans to bring his parents & my parents along. obviously, we ve to pay for all of them, but i was thinking whether is it ok to get my brother to sponsor abit for my parents ...

It really depends on. When my sil & family brought my pils for hols during the period when we brought my parents + kids to australia, my hubby wanted to pay for my pils' tour fare but my sil's hubby declined the offer.

Knowing my hubby, I know he is the "generous" type but some people might not think that way and tend to be more calculative. So you probably know your brother better. But I observed one good trait about my sils (hubby is the only son). Historically when my pils are go on holiday, all of them will visit my pils and give them pocket money for the holidays. Of course, the pocket money will range based on their income level.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 pm

We kinda make it a point to go on a holiday a year with my parents. Some trips we pay others they pay on their own. All 3 siblings will chip in. I don't see anything wrong to ask the siblings to chip in. But if they refuse cannot get upset with them oso lah.

So far we have not gone on any holidays with my PILs but we have been paying for their trips when they do go on holidays. DH brought his parents to Thailand once and he said that's it, he's not going to travel with them ever again. haha.

We'll be heading to Korea this Dec with my parents, my siblings, their families and in-laws of my elder sis. :imcool:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

the last time i went away with my dad was like 20 years ago. dad was relunctant to travel because he was always worried about my mum and handicapped sister. but i knew he was very happy to see his sister in china when we went there about 20 years ago.

so far for dh's mum, we know that one of the sisters charged the cost of mil's air tickets to the joint account (everyone chipped in monthly a sum of money for the mum's expenses) when mil travelled with her and family. but for the rest of the children, whoever took her on a trip paid for her expenses out of their own pockets.

dh paid for the air tickets including those of sil and nephews (mil cant travel alone) whenever they visited us. if mil is on a trip with any one of her kids, dh would also giave her some $$$. we never ask if her kids give her $$$ when she travels with us.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 am

Yes, we do travel with PILs and SIL regularly, and DH pays for everyone. Money wise, don't think too much, after all it's our parents right? Just travel within budget.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurfette3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:20 pm

We travel with my parents once in about 2-3 years to give them a treat. My in-laws like
to travel on their own. Since it is once in 2-3 years, we try to bring them to places like Australia or places where they would like to go. But we do not do it every year as we also want our own family time to bond.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pinkitty » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 am

Since we got married and had kids, it became a habit to bring our in-laws for a holiday once a yr, it became our way of saying thanks to them for helping us look after our kids... and I find it a great bonding time..

This year, we are thinking of going japan... but not sure how to plan yet

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pinkitty » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:35 am

Since we got married and had kids, it became a habit to bring our in-laws for a holiday once a yr, it became our way of saying thanks to them for helping us look after our kids... and I find it a great bonding time..

This year, we are thinking of going japan... but not sure how to plan yet

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Relationships