Wife Relief

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Wife Relief

Postby concern2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 am

Wife relief is $2000. Does anyone know how the figure is derived? Is this all a wife needs to survive if she is a full-time SAHM? S$5.80 a day?? (2000 divided by 365 days)? Can anyone enlighten me?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Wife Relief

Postby Andaiz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm

concern2 wrote:Wife relief is $2000. Does anyone know how the figure is derived? Is this all a wife needs to survive if she is a full-time SAHM? S$5.80 a day?? (2000 divided by 365 days)? Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't know how that is calculated...but I'm just wondering, there's must be some mistake in the calculation, the Foreign Worker Levy bit is more than that right?

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Wife relief

Postby concern2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Yeah. It says: "You can claim up to $4,080 (if you qualify for the lower levy of $170 per month) or $6,360 for the Year of Assessment 2009."

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 pm

concern2 wrote:Wife relief is $2000. Does anyone know how the figure is derived? Is this all a wife needs to survive if she is a full-time SAHM? S$5.80 a day?? (2000 divided by 365 days)? Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't think that's the basis for calculation. At the end of the day, if you have children, that's where the big deductions are. So now you know who is more important...... :wink:

But seriously, at the end of the day, none of the deductions are meant to completely make up the cost of operations or shortfalls. Otherwise, one might argue that SAHM/D last drawn salary should be fully deductible against spouse income tax, as an example of how far one might stretch the idea.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:08 pm

3Boys wrote:I don't think that's the basis for calculation. At the end of the day, if you have children, that's where the big deductions are. So now you know who is more important...... :wink:

But seriously, at the end of the day, none of the deductions are meant to completely make up the cost of operations or shortfalls. Otherwise, one might argue that SAHM/D last drawn salary should be fully deductible against spouse income tax, as an example of how far one might stretch the idea.

I think sashimi can share about what he thinks of this relief as some years back, me and DD were worth only about 2K. If we really use my last drawn salary back then..... :drool:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:20 pm

schellen wrote:
3Boys wrote:I don't think that's the basis for calculation. At the end of the day, if you have children, that's where the big deductions are. So now you know who is more important...... :wink:

I think sashimi can share about what he thinks of this relief as some years back, me and DD were worth only about 2K. If we really use my last drawn salary back then..... :drool:

Yup, 2 sides to every coin, and the govt has a difficult tasks of balancing the needs of all constituents....

Am certainly thankful it is pretty pro-family now (relatively) as opposed to many years back.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

wife relief will not be that high cos govt's aim is to get more women to join the work force. if the relief is too attractive, more women may leave the work force to be SAHMs. And maid levy relief is so much higher precisely for that reason also to make employing a maid more affordable to that women can join the workforce or continue working.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:21 am

Funz wrote:wife relief will not be that high cos govt's aim is to get more women to join the work force. if the relief is too attractive, more women may leave the work force to be SAHMs. And maid levy relief is so much higher precisely for that reason also to make employing a maid more affordable to that women can join the workforce or continue working.

And they want us to have more kids AND spend more time with the kids. :roll:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 am

schellen wrote:
Funz wrote:wife relief will not be that high cos govt's aim is to get more women to join the work force. if the relief is too attractive, more women may leave the work force to be SAHMs. And maid levy relief is so much higher precisely for that reason also to make employing a maid more affordable to that women can join the workforce or continue working.

And they want us to have more kids AND spend more time with the kids. :roll:

Haha. Yah. Well they can argue that with more women folks joining the workforce, then there will be enuf labour in the workforce and as such, there is no need for individuals to be working overtime all the time. Simplistic view lah.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Andaiz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 am

Funz wrote: Yah. Well they can argue that with more women folks joining the workforce, then there will be enuf labour in the workforce and as such, there is no need for individuals to be working overtime all the time. Simplistic view lah.

Haiz....should realize by now you can't have your cake and eat it!
FTWM's will always have to compete on an uneven keel!!

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Relationships