Do you have a good relationship with you children?

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Re: Do you have a good relationship with you children?

Postby KS_me » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 pm

I heard many ppl talk about this and I'm worrying myself too. When kids turned teen, they really detach from us? When did you realised this happen? at what age and what circumstances you feel it that way?

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby irene800 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm

hey Wan Ting, I think for teens when they are going thru puberty, they are often at a stage of self discovery, going thru a lot of emotions and all. so i think if you realised that the relationship is not as close as before, give him some space to breathe and just be a friend for him. i think all teens need space(: but remember to be around for him so that when he runs into any problems, he know that you'll be there.

irene800
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 am

ESP boys, they donch like to be treated like little kids in the public so sometimes they will keep a distance from their parents, ESP mom.

If u wanna get into their world, perhaps have some private time together, like over a quiet meal, or a frappe at the cafe....treat them like what u would treat your friends. Find out what they are interested in, rather than tell them what you want them to be interested in. Let them know u r interested I their well being rather than imposing your views on them. They will appreciate.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bellatklim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Don't judge them whenever you have a conversation with them.
Give an order that sound more like a suggesstion.
Give ideas of how they can handle their teenage issues and let them work it out.
Give them the space to think out of the box as long as they are on track or let them make small mistakes and learn form it.

If you find that you really cannot get into their world find an aunt or uncle that he likes to hang out with and seek their assistant to do so.

Sometimes reasoning and logic chat with them works alot better than anything else.

Hope this is helpful :)

Bellatklim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Bellatklim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Don't judge them whenever you have a conversation with them.
Give ideas of how they can handle their teenage issues and let them work it out.
Give them the space to think out of the box as long as they are on track or let them make small mistakes and learn form it.

If you find that you really cannot get into their world find an aunt or uncle that he likes to hang out with and seek their assistant to do so.

Sometimes reasoning and logic chat with them works alot better than anything else.

Bellatklim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Bellatklim wrote:Don't judge them whenever you have a conversation with them.

Wah! U insurance or property agent? Your pic very pro leh! :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pattyng » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree with the others, he needs space and trusts from you, adolescent period is one where these teenagers just want to explore and experience life, having their own identity. Nevertheless, do communicate with him intimately, not in a pressurizing way or perhaps do some travelling/activities with him?

pattyng
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Boys in transition into young men should be treated differently. They may be more quiet and dislike being touched. I was like that when growing up. My son is like that too. My wife keeps talking to him as if he is a primary school kid although he is already as tall as me and speaks with a deep voice.

But less communication does not mean that he does not love his mother and his family. He appreciates it when you are with him at home although he does not say much. Instead of trying to hold his hand or cuddle him, just give him a playful punch on his arm. Get him to help you do some things at home, like carrying heavier stuff and make him feel useful. Ask him for advice on things like which handphone to upgrade to, and what movies are nice.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby toddles » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Bellatklim wrote:Don't judge them whenever you have a conversation with them.

Wah! U insurance or property agent? Your pic very pro leh! :wink:

Then yr pix very....?

in case I kena :spank: for being :offtopic:, I'd say yup, mums need to be very conscious that we treat our kids in an age appropriate way... somehow mums seem to always be caught in a time warp, even when their kids become parents :yikes: still treating them like kids... :sweat:

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm

toddles wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
Bellatklim wrote:Hope this is helpful :)

in case I kena :spank: for being :offtopic:, I'd say yup, mums need to be very conscious that we treat our kids in an age appropriate way... somehow mums seem to always be caught in a time warp, even when their kids become parents :yikes: still treating them like kids... :sweat:

yeah. Good gracious, my mother nags like mad when I misplaced my keys (they were in my pants, in the washing machine) :frustrated: hallo I'm no longer a kid, I misplace my stuff from time to time, get over it already

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Relationships