ME TIME!

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Re: ME TIME!

Postby jetsetter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 am

Imp75 wrote:dunno where to post this qn so pls pardon me. Are the Raffles Place $ changers open today (Fri) at lunch hours? Someone reminded me they are closed for mosque time?

Yes, bureau de change owned by Indian muslims are all closed until 2-3pm thereabouts.

There are a couple of Chinese ones u can go to.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

like that no good rates le.....

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am

starlight1968sg wrote:tks slmkhoo for the info on ezlink card.

Looking forward to ME time during the weekend to watch Korean tv drama Punch.

me too, waiting for Punch on TV
i dun intend to watch on line coz i like excitement of being "Punch" every Sat n sun night - "We" time for both dh n I in front of tv hugging sugar drinks n crackers.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Funz wrote:Employers are slowly, very slowly coming round to the idea of hiring more flexi or part-timers and on contracts. Some industries are more desperate than others so cast your net wider and a little further.

To me, I stay at home, I have 0 income, if I can work, especially during the hours when kids are in school, even if I were to take home only a few hundred dollars it is still a few hundred dollars more so why not. Along with that, I stay engaged, I may have a more active social life and that may open more doors in future.

Agree with you. I wait for the day when employers see PT workers as equivalent to FT in skills and value-add, just with limited hours (after all, pay and benefits are pro-rated too). The reality is that many contract jobs come without benefits, and even "permanent" PT jobs are not as secure as FT jobs, as I have just discovered. What has galled me a bit is the staff meeting I attended this morning where it was announced that we are likely to meet our targets for the FY and so the bonuses will be better (because I won't get any even though I will have have worked almost the whole FY, and one of my projects was actually named as one that contributed quite a bit to the target!). I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to gain experience in a new field, and hopefully will land another job soon, but I don't like the way I have been forced to leave.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Are you able to fight for the bonus? How long more to the full FY? Under normal circumstances, if you were to resign, how many months notice are you suppose to give?

I am not sure about your company as I have always worked in MNCs. It is not that easy to terminate a staff. They have to show cause for termination and if it due to performance, they must have spoken to and worked with the staff to improve, failing which there should be a probation period given before termination and all these have to be documented. If due to company's performance, or job redundancy, there should usually be a notice period given for staff to seek alternative employment or severance package of sorts.

I don't know, I just feel that sometimes companies take advantage of the staff's fear of being 'fired' to avoid having to compensate or simply to because it is the easier way out.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lee_yl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:35 pm

So asked to "resign" and leave without any compensation will not be reflected in MOM's retrenchment statistics, right? So the retrenchment figures could be worse than reported? :nailbite: Seems like economy not doing very good.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Funz wrote:Are you able to fight for the bonus? How long more to the full FY? Under normal circumstances, if you were to resign, how many months notice are you suppose to give?

I am not sure about your company as I have always worked in MNCs. It is not that easy to terminate a staff. They have to show cause for termination and if it due to performance, they must have spoken to and worked with the staff to improve, failing which there should be a probation period given before termination and all these have to be documented. If due to company's performance, or job redundancy, there should usually be a notice period given for staff to seek alternative employment or severance package of sorts.

I don't know, I just feel that sometimes companies take advantage of the staff's fear of being 'fired' to avoid having to compensate or simply to because it is the easier way out.

My last day is 10 Mar, and FY ends on 31 Mar. Not sure if I have the energy to fight for the bonus as it's paid around October - so far away that they and I will probably forget by the time it comes round. Under the employment contract, notice is 1 mth by either party. Yes, MNCs and bigger organisations have better HR practices; this is a family-owned and operated SME and basically run by the big boss. And yes, I was given 2 hrs to decide whether to resign or be terminated. And termination, without any elaboration, would probably be interpreted by any prospective employer in a bad light. In this case, no compensation is due under the contract, or even under MOM's best practices as I only worked there under 2 yrs. Not sure if MOM has any guidelines about bonuses. Generally, if you aren't there when it's paid, you won't get any, and on paper, I tendered a resignation so it will seem that it was of my own volition.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 pm

lee_yl wrote:So asked to "resign" and leave without any compensation will not be reflected in MOM's retrenchment statistics, right? So the retrenchment figures could be worse than reported? :nailbite: Seems like economy not doing very good.

that's true...when employees are asked to resign, the real retrenchment figures could be much higher. management put themselves in a good light by saying that being retrenched doesn't look good for the employee.
the economy is not doing well, this is definite

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 am

My ofc is still employing pple :)

ME time
Woke up a bit late and now sipping coffee

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 am

very nice morning weather. had a freshly oven baked buns for morning breakfast. hands getting dry. those johnson baby lotion cant seem to work on me anymore. need to find stronger hand lotion.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Relationships