Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

ME TIME!

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Re: ME TIME!

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Estéema wrote:Absolutely agree. It's a gigantor project for entire house reno! Not to be undertaken any less than 10 years, so must try ensure no slip ups. Phew!

it's indeed a massive project because we are talking about the WHOLE flat and every single detail.
as we will be staying in the place, there is a need to pay attention to all the details :sweat: the flat comes bare.
having a reliable ID really helps a lot...I don't have to coordinate separate contractors like plumber, electrician, wet work, air con individually. thinking back, it was indeed exciting especially after seeing everything discussed become real in front of my eyes.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:51 pm

What The wrote:Is getting ID expensive or should just DIY everything myself for my new home?

DIY would be cheaper I guess...but it's a big headache having to liaise individually with different contractors - when to bring in carpenter, air con guy, electrician, painter and plumber. having an ID solves all these problems. not only that, he would also have ideas planning the design of the flat. I had an enjoyable time planning what I would want in my flat...towards the tail end, I did got burnt out partially because of daughter's mid year exam. so I left it to the ID. he settled everything for me. what a relief.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

janet88 wrote:
What The wrote:Is getting ID expensive or should just DIY everything myself for my new home?

DIY would be cheaper I guess...but it's a big headache having to liaise individually with different contractors - when to bring in carpenter, air con guy, electrician, painter and plumber. having an ID solves all these problems. not only that, he would also have ideas planning the design of the flat. I had an enjoyable time planning what I would want in my flat...towards the tail end, I did got burnt out partially because of daughter's mid year exam. so I left it to the ID. he settled everything for me. what a relief.

Usually, a house move is alr energy sapping & gets me burnt out as I age.

ID indeed helps to coordinate all the sub-works. Without the ID, u cld be getting yr air-cond guy at the wrong timing, resulting the one contractor getting into the way of ano or necessitating either unpainted edges or pay for 2nd round of touch-up. The masonry may hv completed their tiling before yr air-con piping hv a chance to connect & hide unsightly pipings, etc.

Engaging the services for ID may not be cheaper, but a good ID can save u alot of headaches & regrets. On good months, an ID can earn more than 20K fr cuts fr every item u use (ceramics, carpentry, parquet or even vinyls, electrical works).

I was shocked to know my ID was juggling abt 13 projects at different scale & diff stages of completion!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:03 pm

I chose to DIY. Huge savings versus engaging ID.
Just the window grill alone ID mark up with a huge margin. I was quoted $5k+ by ID while direct factory price was half of that. For wetwork I feel that there is no need to engage ID because there is no design involved so purely mark up by ID for helping you to make phone calls to contractor

For carpentry and soft furnishing, then maybe ID does help especially If you do not know what you want. If you already have a pretty good idea what you would like then you can design your own and coordinate with carpenter and choose your own curtains/lightings.

I happen to rent a place a few blocks from my house at that time so it was convenient for me to supervise renovation on a daily basis and I also don't mind coordinating with various parties to get things done.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Some areas of work is not as simple as coordinating reno works w/o ID. It might seem simple enuf to get the grilles up & self-supervise.

Most ppl hv no experience with how water leveling is & rqmt wrt to ensure waterproofing, alignment & depth of kitchen cabinets, load of electrical powerpoints, etc.

When I did our kitchen cabinets years ago as a single caregiver to my parent, I was almost fleeced off costs of tiles as I specified paying for heavy duty tiles, but thankful to scouting ard I learnt how to tell the diff. I went up to my apt when the tiles arrd to noticed it wasn't heavy duty tiles, but the supplier insisted it was exactly what I've paid for. In those days, there wasn't CASE & I sent a legal letter before I got the tiles I specified for.

Then there was the issue of quality of wood. Thankful my bff was an eagle-eyed auditor & noticed slight sagging in the upper hung. Discovered carpenter used inferior quality wood & spent fretful time getting just rectifications. Years later, after having learnt my painful lesson, we chose German kitchen system & didn't regret since.

There's a lot to coordinate & unless u're savvy with hob & hood measurements to fit with yr carpenter, most carpenters are craftsmen, not ID savvy. Even choosing & fitting kitchen basin & faucets. I prefer to farm the headache out to experienced IDs.

For our last reno, we decided to select a trusted accredited company but also hv to get ID who's known & experienced ID.

Furnishings & deco? Of course I'll like freehand to do what I like.

Just sharing based on several reno experiences.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 pm

ME time tmr; thinking what to do and what to cook for tmr

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Just completed a soft & light as air Japanese Cheesecake. Waiting for family to wipe it all up tmr (if not tonite). :drool: :dancing:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 pm

these 2 days food dont go well with kids. they dont like siew mai. they dont like frozen fish. I quickly went to CS just now bought a kampong chicken and 2 pandan cakes on offer. Going to cook ABC chicken soup first thing tomorrow morning. only I eat the chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, so sad. dd is looking for spongy cake dont quite like the more dense cake now. I gotta learn making softer cake. today is my lucky day tho :lol:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 pm

janet88 wrote:

When we got our new flat (20 yrs ago), we did a half-measure. We didn't get an ID but we also didn't want to liaise with all the various contractors ourselves, so we got a "main contractor". He coordinated all the various contractors, many of them his own sub-contractors. Although he didn't design things for us, he was very helpful in giving us advice or reminders based on his experience. We only did very basic stuff, though, less than Janet.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Estéema wrote:ID indeed helps to coordinate all the sub-works. Without the ID, u cld be getting yr air-cond guy at the wrong timing, resulting the one contractor getting into the way of ano or necessitating either unpainted edges or pay for 2nd round of touch-up. The masonry may hv completed their tiling before yr air-con piping hv a chance to connect & hide unsightly pipings, etc.

Engaging the services for ID may not be cheaper, but a good ID can save u alot of headaches & regrets. On good months, an ID can earn more than 20K fr cuts fr every item u use (ceramics, carpentry, parquet or even vinyls, electrical works).

I was shocked to know my ID was juggling abt 13 projects at different scale & diff stages of completion!

which contractor to come in and who starts work followed by the next...a reliable ID helps save a lot of time and stress of renovating. the masonry guy was stuck at a project when my flat was ready to start work since there weren't any major defects, so the ID arranged for the air con guy to do the trunking work first as well as hiding all the pipes before masonry guy started work. that whole week, nobody else can do anything.

clearing all the rubbish is a standardised charge - $250 for 3x. ID will arrange for the guys from town council to clear the rubbish
accordingly. when the masonry work was completed, carpenter came to take measurements as well as electrician. it is hard work coordinating all this. when the painting was completed, the air con guy would need to come back to install the units.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Relationships

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres