Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

ME TIME!

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Re: ME TIME!

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 pm

That's right, Janet. It's the devil in the details why we engage IDs.

We can do the leg work (apply reno permit with respective authorities, arranging air-con works, disposing debris, etc) just to save some piecemeal works but saving tt little bit might costs us a lot more for mistakes or lacking coordination work.

Not experienced with need to arrange 2nd trip for air-con units to be installed is no big deal, if u're not particular tt the painting works are not neat & some paints get splashed onto yr brand new units. All depends on personal tolerance level for imperfection.

@ slmkhoo It's very long time ago when ppl use to renovate using main contractors & those days either no IDs or it's not popular as yet. Now with accreditation of renovation contractors, a lot of coordination work are made into one-stop accountability.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

slmkhoo wrote:When we got our new flat (20 yrs ago), we did a half-measure. We didn't get an ID but we also didn't want to liaise with all the various contractors ourselves, so we got a "main contractor". He coordinated all the various contractors, many of them his own sub-contractors. Although he didn't design things for us, he was very helpful in giving us advice or reminders based on his experience. We only did very basic stuff, though, less than Janet.

I knew the flat would come with just wall/floor tiles for kitchen, toilets as well as floor tiles for bomb shelter and service yard...but when we opened the main door, we were shocked to see such a bare unit. our first flat was a resale, so it wasn't that bad.
my renovation isn't considered basic, since I had so much carpentry. the rooms are small, so wardrobes had to be customised and built in as those from Ikea do not last. my shoe cabinet with storage for other stuff as well as the matching study table and built in bookshelves is something we didn't get to enjoy in our previous flat. I am grateful I get to enjoy that now.
I wouldn't have survived the madness if i didn't engage an ID. in fact, if we were to move again to a smaller place, my condition is I want to engage the same ID again but I dread to think of the packing.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Estéema wrote:That's right, Janet. It's the devil in the details why we engage IDs.

We can do the leg work (apply reno permit with respective authorities, arranging air-con works, disposing debris, etc) just to save some piecemeal works but saving tt little bit might costs us a lot more for mistakes or lacking coordination work.

Not experienced with need to arrange 2nd trip for air-con units to be installed is no big deal, if u're not particular tt the painting works are not neat & some paints get splashed onto yr brand new units. All depends on personal tolerance level for imperfection.

esteema,
I didn't even have to apply for reno permit...ID arranged that for me as well as the city gas guy who came to switch on the gas. my flat doesn't have a palace or hotel design...that would have cost even more. i didn't have a tv console and shelving...the tv area is the one place we hardly spend time in. however I am particular about the air con pipes being laid properly as well as the colour coordination of the wardrobes. what I want is a comfortable and spacious feeling. I just feel very blessed the entire renovation went smoothly.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Exactly as Janet highlighted. One benefit is having an experienced ID do space planning & seamless color match of entire home, rather than ad hoc & uncoordinated purchases.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 pm

janet88 wrote:
Estéema wrote:That's right, Janet. It's the devil in the details why we engage IDs.

esteema,
I didn't even have to apply for reno permit...ID arranged that for me as well as the city gas guy who came to switch on the gas. my flat doesn't have a palace or hotel design...that would have cost even more. i didn't have a tv console and shelving...the tv area is the one place we hardly spend time in. however I am particular about the air con pipes being laid properly as well as the colour coordination of the wardrobes. what I want is a comfortable and spacious feeling. I just feel very blessed the entire renovation went smoothly.

Yes, yes. That's what u pay IDs for - do ALL legwork & advices incl application of permits.

My BIL didn't do much reno to the terrace home except he thot, just get a small contractor to extend the backyard with concrete cover. He didn't realize need to apply for permit fr various authorities & ended up being issued a stop order, before the extension can proceed. Some permits takes more than 6mths approval! Derailed his plan to move in before Christmas.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Estéema wrote:Exactly as Janet highlighted. One benefit is having an experienced ID do space planning & seamless color match of entire home, rather than ad hoc & uncoordinated purchases.

I did my share of homework by checking out designs of kids' rooms, hall, master bed room toilet and master bed room in qanvast. in the end, I realised it was a minimalist with a little Scandinavia feel I wanted.
for the whole flat to look coordinated, I couldn't have done so without the ID. I do not want a glossy finish as I have a phobia of finger prints...but I didn't want the matt wood surface to look so plain. adding some groove lines changed the whole feel.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

some contractors are good in carpentry while some are good with wet work. if I get a contractor to renovate, he would probably sub to this and that contractor...in the end I don't know who is working or doing what. I may not even get to move in as planned.
I didn't install window grilles, just had windows in the service yard in case the rain wets the clothes. the guy who installed the windows applied for hdb approval while ID applied for overall permit.
all the legwork involved is crazy, thank goodness I didn't have to do it.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm scared of groove lines leh. Dirt & grimes might get trapped in the long run.

Yes, I like the minimalist look too. I chose the glass surface for kitchen as I find this easier to clean. For all elsewhere, I opted for woodgrains for that warm feel

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am

slmkhoo wrote:When we got our new flat (20 yrs ago), we did a half-measure. We didn't get an ID but we also didn't want to liaise with all the various contractors ourselves, so we got a "main contractor". He coordinated all the various contractors, many of them his own sub-contractors. Although he didn't design things for us, he was very helpful in giving us advice or reminders based on his experience. We only did very basic stuff, though, less than Janet.

I think it is still fairly common to get a main contractor. People who do so fall into two categories, those with a good eye, know what they want and have an interest in renovation and enjoy doing the legwork; those who only want minimal work done and see no point in getting an id. Good communication and fair payment is key.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 am

sleepy wrote:I chose to DIY. Huge savings versus engaging ID.
Just the window grill alone ID mark up with a huge margin. I was quoted $5k+ by ID while direct factory price was half of that. For wetwork I feel that there is no need to engage ID because there is no design involved so purely mark up by ID for helping you to make phone calls to contractor

For carpentry and soft furnishing, then maybe ID does help especially If you do not know what you want. If you already have a pretty good idea what you would like then you can design your own and coordinate with carpenter and choose your own curtains/lightings.

I happen to rent a place a few blocks from my house at that time so it was convenient for me to supervise renovation on a daily basis and I also don't mind coordinating with various parties to get things done.

How are you, sleepy? :smile: days should be good ya?

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Relationships

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres