My colleague told us that her birthday is coming.....

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

My colleague told us that her birthday is coming.....

Postby xueyan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 am

Hi, would like to hear what you guys think.

I have this colleague that tell us that her birthday is coming and ask us to go for lunch in a nearby restaurant. Is she implying that we should treat her?

As she is leaving the company, she is also openly asking whether we are planning a farewell for her.

If I am not keen in both occasion, how should I reject her?

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: My colleague told us that her birthday is coming.....

Postby hquek » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 pm

umm, say happy birthday, all the best; and make lunch appts on those days.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby auntieM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Aiyoh.. .so thick one ahh.. :laugh:
Agree with hquek, just wish her, give her the lamest excuse you can think of and 'siam' ah.. ... :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Such colleagues are so annoying :faint:

For me, I will wish her all the best and happy birthday..That's all.. No gifts.. I can't really stand adults asking for celebrations! :siao:

My students do remind me of their birthdays sometimes but they are kids and teenagers so my reaction is positive.. I will get them a personal gift and make a card for them..

Paiseh.. If they are adults, my reaction will be totally negative :razz:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Depending on how well you know her, maybe she just wants company to celebrate her birthday but willing to pay for the feast? As adults, usually you ask people to join you in a party but with no invitation cards.

If I were you, I would say, "Oh you are throwing a party? No problem, since you would be busy selecting the menu to treat us, we will buy you the cake!"

That settles it right? You get your "inexpensive"(a fraction of the cake price) lunch and she gets people to celebrate together with her. If she turns it down, you win too...no need to reject.

I have already given you an idea, I am sure you now know how to deal with the farewell lunch.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Did she offend anyone during her stint or was she an idle worker that wasn't a good team mate? Was she a nasty superior that stepped on everyone's toes?

To me, nasty or idle doesn't matter; it's always a kind gesture to treat an outgoing colleague. When 2 of my laziest colleagues left us some years ago, everyone avoided talking abt their farewells even as their last day approached. Even my big boss purposely went on leave.

People hated them because they went "AWOL" during the most gruelling period of that year when we celebrated our org's anniversary. I was the only one who took them out for a farewell meal...They could be horrid and irresponsible co-workers, but they are still nice friends. Plus, who knows I might just cross paths with them in the future?

If your dept really loathes spending more than an hour with her on her birthday, I've a suggestion: buy a simple Polar birthday cake and a card signed by everyone. Surprise her 1 day before her last (last day she'll be busy doing clearance) before lunch time at 11am. Everyone present in the office can wish her Happy Birthday and pass her that card. That's it. No need to bear an hour to face her or treat her at the restaurant.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:08 am

auntieM wrote:Aiyoh.. .so thick one ahh.. :laugh:
Agree with hquek, just wish her, give her the lamest excuse you can think of and 'siam' ah.. ... :wink:

wah!!! skin so thick ah...request for birthday and farewell treat.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dolphinsiah » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am

jetsetter wrote:Did she offend anyone during her stint or was she an idle worker that wasn't a good team mate? Was she a nasty superior that stepped on everyone's toes?

To me, nasty or idle doesn't matter; it's always a kind gesture to treat an outgoing colleague. When 2 of my laziest colleagues left us some years ago, everyone avoided talking abt their farewells even as their last day approached. Even my big boss purposely went on leave.

People hated them because they went "AWOL" during the most gruelling period of that year when we celebrated our org's anniversary. I was the only one who took them out for a farewell meal...They could be horrid and irresponsible co-workers, but they are still nice friends. Plus, who knows I might just cross paths with them in the future?

If your dept really loathes spending more than an hour with her on her birthday, I've a suggestion: buy a simple Polar birthday cake and a card signed by everyone. Surprise her 1 day before her last (last day she'll be busy doing clearance) before lunch time at 11am. Everyone present in the office can wish her Happy Birthday and pass her that card. That's it. No need to bear an hour to face her or treat her at the restaurant.

This is a good idea! Next time 再见还是朋友! :xedfingers:

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dolphinsiah » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 pm

jetsetter wrote:Did she offend anyone during her stint or was she an idle worker that wasn't a good team mate? Was she a nasty superior that stepped on everyone's toes?

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:33 pm

dolphinsiah wrote:

:goodpost:

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Relationships