HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.
Samsoon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Post by Samsoon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am

Hi All,

I know this might not be the right forum for my complaint but I am devastated to find some helps.

Recently I was going through divorce procedures. My divorce supposed to be a contested case and I found a lawyer through this website. The agreement signed was 6 to 9k for such contested case. However in the end my case has turned out uncontested, but I was given a huge bill of 7k. I have checked market rate for uncontested case is approx. 2.5 to max 4k. Hence he has grossly overcharged me. After negotiation he still think he is right.

In additional his service is super lousy. There is no meet up and no explanation given. After few emails of complaint, he left my case with a intern who has made so many mistakes.

I already have stressed over my divorce and now l have to be stressed over my lawyer.

Anyone can advice me what should I do?

Thanks
Samsoon

hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Post by hercules » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Samsoon wrote:
I already have stressed over my divorce and now l have to be stressed over my lawyer.

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, try to maintain calm and don't be too stressed coz want to takan a lawyer you need to carry that stamina for a longer haul.

You may explore this for cost dispute:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/For-Public ... te-Resolve

If you want to complain about lawyer's conduct, you may explore this:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/Lawyer-Reg ... Complaints

You may refuse to pay the lawyer and write to him in black and white categorically your reasons of such (whatever your grievances are), giving him a reasonable settlement amount of about $2500 (about market rate for more atas lawyers), telling him that you will send your complaints to the above two channels if necessary.

Most time he will accept.

In the event that he doesn't, then you may proceed with the above (as said, you will need stamina to go through the process of documentation and so just stay calm and go through the motion slowly).

Just to share:

1. one of my friends recently paid $1300 for a non contested divorce case (but outright he informed his lawyer no contest and so fees agreed with the simple forms signed by wife and him).

2. I ever complained about a lawyer for lousy / negligent services successfully to law society (a date was fixed to face him with the mediators). He asked me private for settlement. I received about $10,000 as compensation and withdrew the case to let him off.

It can be done but stamina and don't keep feeling 'pek chik' are what you need to have to pursue justice against unjust lawyer.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by starlight1968sg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 pm

OT: I don't know why some charge exorbitantly, like some professions. Shouldn't there be a range on the fees payable for each category of cases?

Samsoon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Samsoon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

hercules wrote:
Samsoon wrote:

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, try to maintain calm and don't be too stressed coz want to takan a lawyer you need to carry that stamina for a longer haul.

You may explore this for cost dispute:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/For-Public ... te-Resolve

If you want to complain about lawyer's conduct, you may explore this:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/Lawyer-Reg ... Complaints

You may refuse to pay the lawyer and write to him in black and white categorically your reasons of such (whatever your grievances are), giving him a reasonable settlement amount of about $2500 (about market rate for more atas lawyers), telling him that you will send your complaints to the above two channels if necessary.

Most time he will accept.

In the event that he doesn't, then you may proceed with the above (as said, you will need stamina to go through the process of documentation and so just stay calm and go through the motion slowly).

Just to share:

1. one of my friends recently paid $1300 for a non contested divorce case (but outright he informed his lawyer no contest and so fees agreed with the simple forms signed by wife and him).

2. I ever complained about a lawyer for lousy / negligent services successfully to law society (a date was fixed to face him with the mediators). He asked me private for settlement. I received about $10,000 as compensation and withdrew the case to let him off.

It can be done but stamina and don't keep feeling 'pek chik' are what you need to have to pursue justice against unjust lawyer.
Thank you for your valuable reply.

You really sent me a booster advice. Many of them asked me to just paid and move on. However I feel so cheated. I wouldn't want to pay for such a lousy service.

I ever threaten my lawyer that I will file a complaint to law society over his bad service and he asked me to go ahead. So I am not sure for this settlement how it will work. Anyway if he doesn't want to given in, I will definitely go for these two options.

I did contact an officer of law society, complaining my lawyer for overcharging me, he told me that I have to proof in court before they can take action against him. I think the Cost Dispute Resolution have to pay for their service, not sure how much.

Do you mind telling me a bit more about your case? What did your lawyer did wrongly? Did he complete his service before you complaint? If you don't mind can you WhatsApp me at 93864092.

Thanks
Samsoon

hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Post by hercules » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Samsoon wrote:
You really sent me a booster advice. Many of them asked me to just paid and move on. However I feel so cheated. I wouldn't want to pay for such a lousy service.

I ever threaten my lawyer that I will file a complaint to law society over his bad service and he asked me to go ahead. So I am not sure for this settlement how it will work. Anyway if he doesn't want to given in, I will definitely go for these two options.

I did contact an officer of law society, complaining my lawyer for overcharging me, he told me that I have to proof in court before they can take action against him. I think the Cost Dispute Resolution have to pay for their service, not sure how much.

Do you mind telling me a bit more about your case? What did your lawyer did wrongly? Did he complete his service before you complaint? If you don't mind can you WhatsApp me at 93864092.

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, when dealing with lawyers, almost must in black and white to show your documents trail to support your case. Always use calm and 'professional language' without emotions, meaning only stating the facts and nothing else otherwise you maybe judged as 'emotional' later in the eyes of the judge.

Your case is an in-the-process case that I don't know which state you are in now. Perhaps you have signed the Statement of Particulars etc and such documents have been filed with court and you waiting for the judgment paper? I wonder if you are at this juncture, you can still switch to a $1300 lawyer. If yes and you are still in OK talking term with your spouse, then switch lawyer and then deal with the first lawyer.

If you are not in OK talking term with your spouse, then I wonder you can engage the $1300 lawyer to take over the case without his consent. This you have to seek advice from the 'new' lawyer (in my mind it is possible).

Then start to shoot the current lawyer to get back ALL your money if you can prove his bad services.

Never get emotional in your writing to all these 'professional people'.

*I may have to highlight to you first about the differences between a $1300 lawyer and a $2500 lawyer when filing a no contest divorce case.

The $2500 usually has nice office with bigger reception area in Raffles/Shenton etc and he has paralegals to help him with his forms/documents while the $1300 one usually is a one-man-kick person. So when he does the forms and documents, you may have to do a double check to ensure accuracy. Otherwise, the forms and procedures are just straight forward for electronic filing and both parties don't need to appear in court at all while waiting for the final paper to arrive.

You may make free enquries with both $1300 and $2500 lawyers to see whether any of them can take over your case.

Good luck! (take it as a game really)
Last edited by hercules on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samsoon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Samsoon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Hercules,

Thank you for your advise!

I am at final stage where I received interim judgement for divorce. I had already paid the lawyer 2,900/- and he held another deposit of 500/-. Suddenly at the final settlement stage he sent me a bill of S$7k. When I asked him to breakdown the final sum in details. He brushed me off by asking me to refer to the agreement. But the agreement is for contested case.

Yes I will try to write a professional letter.

nigur712
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by nigur712 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am

I truly disclose to you a touch of promoter guidance, about Gibbs wright lawyers they are situated in Brisbane, show up in courts all through Queensland. and only practices in prosecution and debate goals. There are many law offices in Queensland however just a bunch of them primarily focus on litigation.

fraklin28
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fraklin28 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello there,

By cooperating, you'll have better power over the indispensable issues that will be raised during your separation as opposed to surrendering them over to your lawyers or the court. Likewise, you'll wind up sparing a considerable amount of time and cash by not enlisting a separation legal advisor. Likewise, and maybe, in particular, youngsters experiencing a separation regularly have simpler progress if their folks can work out the separation rapidly.

Litigation lawyer