Page 1 of 1

HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am
by Samsoon
Hi All,

I know this might not be the right forum for my complaint but I am devastated to find some helps.

Recently I was going through divorce procedures. My divorce supposed to be a contested case and I found a lawyer through this website. The agreement signed was 6 to 9k for such contested case. However in the end my case has turned out uncontested, but I was given a huge bill of 7k. I have checked market rate for uncontested case is approx. 2.5 to max 4k. Hence he has grossly overcharged me. After negotiation he still think he is right.

In additional his service is super lousy. There is no meet up and no explanation given. After few emails of complaint, he left my case with a intern who has made so many mistakes.

I already have stressed over my divorce and now l have to be stressed over my lawyer.

Anyone can advice me what should I do?

Thanks
Samsoon

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:51 am
by starlight1968sg

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm
by hercules
Samsoon wrote:
I already have stressed over my divorce and now l have to be stressed over my lawyer.

Anyone can advice me what should I do?

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, try to maintain calm and don't be too stressed coz want to takan a lawyer you need to carry that stamina for a longer haul.

You may explore this for cost dispute:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/For-Public ... te-Resolve

If you want to complain about lawyer's conduct, you may explore this:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/Lawyer-Reg ... Complaints

You may refuse to pay the lawyer and write to him in black and white categorically your reasons of such (whatever your grievances are), giving him a reasonable settlement amount of about $2500 (about market rate for more atas lawyers), telling him that you will send your complaints to the above two channels if necessary.

Most time he will accept.

In the event that he doesn't, then you may proceed with the above (as said, you will need stamina to go through the process of documentation and so just stay calm and go through the motion slowly).

Just to share:

1. one of my friends recently paid $1300 for a non contested divorce case (but outright he informed his lawyer no contest and so fees agreed with the simple forms signed by wife and him).

2. I ever complained about a lawyer for lousy / negligent services successfully to law society (a date was fixed to face him with the mediators). He asked me private for settlement. I received about $10,000 as compensation and withdrew the case to let him off.

It can be done but stamina and don't keep feeling 'pek chik' are what you need to have to pursue justice against unjust lawyer.

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 pm
by starlight1968sg
OT: I don't know why some charge exorbitantly, like some professions. Shouldn't there be a range on the fees payable for each category of cases?

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am
by Samsoon
hercules wrote:
Samsoon wrote:
I already have stressed over my divorce and now l have to be stressed over my lawyer.

Anyone can advice me what should I do?

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, try to maintain calm and don't be too stressed coz want to takan a lawyer you need to carry that stamina for a longer haul.

You may explore this for cost dispute:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/For-Public ... te-Resolve

If you want to complain about lawyer's conduct, you may explore this:

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/Lawyer-Reg ... Complaints

You may refuse to pay the lawyer and write to him in black and white categorically your reasons of such (whatever your grievances are), giving him a reasonable settlement amount of about $2500 (about market rate for more atas lawyers), telling him that you will send your complaints to the above two channels if necessary.

Most time he will accept.

In the event that he doesn't, then you may proceed with the above (as said, you will need stamina to go through the process of documentation and so just stay calm and go through the motion slowly).

Just to share:

1. one of my friends recently paid $1300 for a non contested divorce case (but outright he informed his lawyer no contest and so fees agreed with the simple forms signed by wife and him).

2. I ever complained about a lawyer for lousy / negligent services successfully to law society (a date was fixed to face him with the mediators). He asked me private for settlement. I received about $10,000 as compensation and withdrew the case to let him off.

It can be done but stamina and don't keep feeling 'pek chik' are what you need to have to pursue justice against unjust lawyer.
Thank you for your valuable reply.

You really sent me a booster advice. Many of them asked me to just paid and move on. However I feel so cheated. I wouldn't want to pay for such a lousy service.

I ever threaten my lawyer that I will file a complaint to law society over his bad service and he asked me to go ahead. So I am not sure for this settlement how it will work. Anyway if he doesn't want to given in, I will definitely go for these two options.

I did contact an officer of law society, complaining my lawyer for overcharging me, he told me that I have to proof in court before they can take action against him. I think the Cost Dispute Resolution have to pay for their service, not sure how much.

Do you mind telling me a bit more about your case? What did your lawyer did wrongly? Did he complete his service before you complaint? If you don't mind can you WhatsApp me at 93864092.

Thanks
Samsoon

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm
by hercules
Samsoon wrote:
You really sent me a booster advice. Many of them asked me to just paid and move on. However I feel so cheated. I wouldn't want to pay for such a lousy service.

I ever threaten my lawyer that I will file a complaint to law society over his bad service and he asked me to go ahead. So I am not sure for this settlement how it will work. Anyway if he doesn't want to given in, I will definitely go for these two options.

I did contact an officer of law society, complaining my lawyer for overcharging me, he told me that I have to proof in court before they can take action against him. I think the Cost Dispute Resolution have to pay for their service, not sure how much.

Do you mind telling me a bit more about your case? What did your lawyer did wrongly? Did he complete his service before you complaint? If you don't mind can you WhatsApp me at 93864092.

Thanks
Samsoon
Firstly, when dealing with lawyers, almost must in black and white to show your documents trail to support your case. Always use calm and 'professional language' without emotions, meaning only stating the facts and nothing else otherwise you maybe judged as 'emotional' later in the eyes of the judge.

Your case is an in-the-process case that I don't know which state you are in now. Perhaps you have signed the Statement of Particulars etc and such documents have been filed with court and you waiting for the judgment paper? I wonder if you are at this juncture, you can still switch to a $1300 lawyer. If yes and you are still in OK talking term with your spouse, then switch lawyer and then deal with the first lawyer.

If you are not in OK talking term with your spouse, then I wonder you can engage the $1300 lawyer to take over the case without his consent. This you have to seek advice from the 'new' lawyer (in my mind it is possible).

Then start to shoot the current lawyer to get back ALL your money if you can prove his bad services.

Never get emotional in your writing to all these 'professional people'.

*I may have to highlight to you first about the differences between a $1300 lawyer and a $2500 lawyer when filing a no contest divorce case.

The $2500 usually has nice office with bigger reception area in Raffles/Shenton etc and he has paralegals to help him with his forms/documents while the $1300 one usually is a one-man-kick person. So when he does the forms and documents, you may have to do a double check to ensure accuracy. Otherwise, the forms and procedures are just straight forward for electronic filing and both parties don't need to appear in court at all while waiting for the final paper to arrive.

You may make free enquries with both $1300 and $2500 lawyers to see whether any of them can take over your case.

Good luck! (take it as a game really)

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:11 pm
by Samsoon
Hi Hercules,

Thank you for your advise!

I am at final stage where I received interim judgement for divorce. I had already paid the lawyer 2,900/- and he held another deposit of 500/-. Suddenly at the final settlement stage he sent me a bill of S$7k. When I asked him to breakdown the final sum in details. He brushed me off by asking me to refer to the agreement. But the agreement is for contested case.

Yes I will try to write a professional letter.

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm
by xinxin126
The key is always in finding the right divorce attorney to handle your case. It's good if he or she already has several experience in handling cases that are very similar to yours (for example, child custody, division of matrimonial assets, etc.). Many lawyers also offer free consults so if ever you can maximize this opportunity so you can fully know about a lawyer and his skill, and how you feel about him/her representing you. In my experience, I've had consults with Godwin Campos (you can also try him out if you're still looking for a divorce attorney), and that consult told me a lot about him and his team. With lawyers you have to be very transparent so make sure you're comfortable sharing a lot about your personal details if necessary :D

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 pm
by CarYip31
xinxin126 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm
The key is always in finding the right divorce attorney to handle your case. It's good if he or she already has several experience in handling cases that are very similar to yours (for example, child custody, division of matrimonial assets, etc.). Many lawyers also offer free consults so if ever you can maximize this opportunity so you can fully know about a lawyer and his skill, and how you feel about him/her representing you. In my experience, I've had consults with Godwin Campos (you can also try him out if you're still looking for a divorce attorney), and that consult told me a lot about him and his team. With lawyers you have to be very transparent so make sure you're comfortable sharing a lot about your personal details if necessary :D
Thanks for the great tips!

Re: HELP NEED ABOUT DIVORCE LAWYER

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:03 pm
by TristenMaldonado
"When thinking about divorce, do not rush to file documents in the registry office or, even more so, the court; think first about what you want to get as a result of the divorce, whether a dispute over property, alimony, or children is possible, whether you can get everything that you are counting on.
If you have something to divide, protect yourself in advance by taking advantage of the professional support of expungement lawyers."