Top ten dating don'ts

Successful parenting is founded on successful relationships between spouses and relatives. We must not neglect our spouse while we focus our attention on grooming our children to become the best they can be. Discuss relationship issues here.

Top ten dating don'ts

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:59 pm

A good article from eHow

You've gotten this far. You have a date. You must have done something right. Keep up your winning streak by avoiding all the cliche dating pratfalls. A date is an opportunity to get to know a new person and to present yourself in the hopes of making a connection. Whatever you do, don't do any of the following if you wish to have a successful date and leave open the possibility of having more--with this person or with anyone else.

Texting
You just spent your time and energy setting up a date. Don't use it as an opportunity to text your friends or update your Twitter status. You should be paying attention to your date. Leave the messaging for later to let your friends know how your attentive date went.

Excessive Drinking
Social drinking is acceptable. Social drunkenness on a date is a good way to embarrass yourself and send the other person packing. If you need to, have a few drinks, but be more concerned with your date than getting another shot.

Showing Up Late
There's no such thing as "fashionably late" when it comes to dating. It tells the other person that you aren't taking the date seriously and that you'll probably repeat this behavior later on. Show up on time. Don't get pulled over either.

Mentioning Your Ex
You have no exes as far as your date is concerned. Don't ever bring up your ex on a date. It comes off as desperate and tells the other person that you're not quite over your past relationship.

Lying
If you're not a doctor and you don't own a yacht, don't tell your date otherwise. Not only will she be likely to tell you're lying, but if you keep dating, these sorts of "facts" will reveal themselves to be untrue in a matter of time.

Talking About Yourself
You're not as interesting as you think you are. Don't talk about yourself too much during a date. Ask your date questions about his life and listen. If you can't stop talking about yourself, why are you even looking to spend time with somebody new?

Talking About Other Dates
Focus on the date you're currently on. There's no need to bring up just how good or bad your dating experiences have been in real life or online. It makes you look like a chronic dater and desperate.

Bringing Up Politics/Religion
You may think you've solved the world's problems, but keep it to yourself during a date. Bringing up touchy issues like politics and religion can be a dating death knell, leading to inevitable and unnecessary arguments.

Getting Too Personal
Don't let all your skeletons out of the closet. You may want to come off as an open person, but telling your date about all the weird stuff that happened to you during your childhood will scare her off.

Acting Overexcited
Be confident and be interested, but don't overdo it. Acting too excited about a date can come off as pushy and make you look like you have no life outside of the date.

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaydenbrown » Fri May 28, 2010 3:48 pm

I am pretty amused by the appearance of this article in KPF. Is it supposed to be something that we tell our teenage kids?
I try to leave myself out of my kids's dating affairs and I wonder if it is the same here. Well, unless I need to fight fire then I tend to get involved.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mocharita » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Don't touch.

Touching is forbidden! It's lovely to have a man's hand guiding you to your seat but, touching and guiding are totally different.

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Relationships