How to cook nice meals

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Which recipe is the best?

Pen88n: Tang Kwei Steamed Chicken
30%
Augmum: Mei Cai Kou Rou
60%
Toddles: All In One Soup
No votes
Jesschan: All In One Soup
No votes
Pokemon: Leek Pancake
5%
CJS: Meaty Bread Snacks
5%

Total votes : 20

How to cook nice meals

Postby Muffins » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Well, with the great recipes from the pasta contest, I thought we would get even better recipes with a wider range of foods, so I created this topic. My definition of meals in this case can be anything, except desserts. Appetisers, Mains, Soups, Sides, anything original and yummy! :drool: So have fun!!!! :)

P.S. BTW, this is a little different from the pasta contest, in the sense that if you give two recipes, both will be shown, so don't worry about that. I'll put up all recipes that are in this post, even if it is from the same person.

REWARD: 1st place: 250 KSpoints
2nd place: 150 KSpoints
3rd place: 50 KSpoints
Consolation Prizes: 10 KSpoints for each person that has put in their recipes
Last edited by Muffins on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:44 am

Moderator's Note : I have listed all the recipes found on this thread here to faciliate the search for the various recipes. Edited 20 February 2011.

Pen88n : Tang Kwei Steam Chicken

Ingredients:
1) either boneless thigh (cut into small pieces) or chicken wings (cut into parts)
2) a few pieces of tang kwei
3) wolfberry
5) chinese sausages (liap cheong)
6) mushrooms (tong gu). Can be dried or fresh shitake mushroom, depending on your liking
7) ginger cut into very thin shreds
a tablespoon of DOM, or more if you like the taste

Steps of preparation:
1) Marinate chicken with soy sauce, a little pepper and a little corn flour (supposed to make it smoother)
2) Soak chinese sausage in hot water. After a while, remove the "skin" and cut into slices (thick or thin depends on your preference)
3) Soak dried mushroom in water. Remove stalk and cut into slices
4) Wash and soak wolfberry for a short while
5) Place chicken into metal plate and add in DOM to marinate. Then add in shreds of ginger, chinese sausages slices, mushrooms slices, wolfberry and pieces of tang kwei. mix all well in plate.
6) Put in steamer for about 15 mins (depend on how big your dish is, adjust the timing for cooking).

You will smell the aroma once it is cooked. Yummy and it's healthy! The soup (sauce) from the dish can be added to kid's rice for their consumption.

Augmum : Mei Cai Kou Rou (梅菜扣肉) (Pork belly with Preserved Vegetables)

Ingredients:

1) Pork Belly with skin (三层肉) (I usually cut it into about 5 cm length or can cut into bite size)
2)Preserved Vegetables (the sweet type, I ever tried with the salty type, the taste is different)
3) 5-8 cloves of garlic (with skin, lightly mashed)
4) 2 star anise
5) a few dried chillies with seeds removed (optional)

Seasoning for Pork belly

1) dark soya sauce (I am using the “elephant brand", the brand of dark soya sauce used is crucial for the right taste for any dish of braised pork)
2) sesame oil
3) some pepper (optional)

Seasoning for the sauce

1) some dark soya sauce
2) some light soya sauce
3) ½ - ¾ tablespoon of oyster sauce (I used abalone sauce)
4) 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (not too much, otherwise too sweet N sour)
5) ½ - ¾ teaspoon of chilli bean sauce (fr Lee kum kee)
6) some sugar
7) a pinch of salt (prefer not to add first, can add after step (6) of method, do some sampling first before adding some salt to taste)

Method :

1) Firstly, soak the preserved vegetables for abt ½ -1 hr to get rid of the excessive salt. Change the water often. Wash, cut and squeeze dry.
2) Marinate the Pork Belly with the above seasoning for at least 1 hr.
3) Heat wok with oil, fry the Pork Belly till half cooked or fragrance, set aside.
4) Heat wok with some oil again, now fry the preserved Vegetables together with the cloves of garlic, dried chillies and star anise ( u can also fry the garlic and star anise till fragance before adding in the preserved vegetables)
5) Put the fried pork belly back into the wok. Pour in the seasoning for the sauce. Add enough water and cover the wok.
6) Simmer at low heat for about 1 hr (or longer) till pork and mei cai are soft.
7) Remove from heat and served hot with steamed rice………….YUMMY YUMMY!!!!

pokemon : LEEK PANCAKE

Ingredients
-English leek - 2 stalk (leek stem are whiter and longer than the chinese leek)
-Any type of mushroom ( i like fresh white button mushroom or canned straw mushroom)
- some plain flour (i agar agar so dont kn how much, depend on the amount of water u used for the batter)
- 1 egg
-some lukewarm water
-pinch of salt and pepper
-cooking oil

1)sliced the leek and mushroom thinly.
2)fry it with some cooking oil til soften. Set aside.
3)mix the egg, flour,salt, pepper and water to form a smooth batter.
4)add the leek and mushroom into the prepared batter and mix well.
5)heat up a round flat frying pan, with v little oil, scoop some of the leek batter into the heated pan, spread it evenly on the pan (resemble a big round pancake)and turn to other side after about 5min. (if you like it crispier, cook it longer on both sides)
6) ta-da! ready to eat. Can keep in the fridge overnite and microwave when ready to eat.

CJS : Meaty Bread Snacks This is what I do when I have stale plain bread. Mix minced pork and minced prawns together and marinate with salt, pepper and a dash of sesame oil. Cut bread into 2 x 2 inch squares or any bite size. Spread the meat mixture on the bread like you are spreading butter on toast. Bake in the oven at 160C for about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with mayonnaise.

Alternatively, you can deep fry the pieces until golden brown. Another alternative to using bread is to use ready-made "you tiao". Cut "you tiao" into 2 inch lengths and make a slit in the centre. Stuff a spoonful of meat filling into the centre cavity. Bake in oven or deep fry till cooked.

b2b3m4 : Skillet Salmon Parcel

1 piece of salmon
a small hand full of enoki mushrooms
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp mirin
1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
aluminium foil

Method
1. Mix mirin, miso and sugar into a paste. Put 1 tbsp of this paste on the aluminium sheet.
2. Put salmon on top of paste. Pour remaining paste on top of salmon.
3. Put mushrooms on top of salmon, followed by butter. Sprinkle pepper.
4. Seal up the foil and put on a skillet.
5. Put half to 1 cup of water on skillet and put on fire, around 15min (depends on size and thickness of salmon).
6. Serve package directly or with a wedge of lemon.

Toddles : all in one soup. A few cobs of corn, some pork ribs, carrots, peanuts and lotus roots if you can find them at the time. Add a dash of salt, chopped up onion and boil - voila.

Simple, sweet and wholesome.

Jesschan : all in one soup

Boil 2 orange carrots, 1 radish / green carrot, 3 potatoes, 2 cob of corn and 2 large onions in about 6-7 cups of water for about 1 hour or more. Add silken tofu and/or thinly sliced pork in the stock and bring to boil before serving. I usually dish out the potatoes, corn and onions first, else there is no space in my pot to cook the tofu and pork. For vegetarians, you can add a small vegetable stock cube if the soup isn't sweet enough.

The potato can be used to make mash potato – just mash it, add a little salt, pepper, butter and any leftover corn niblets from the soup.

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:36 pm

no one interested ah??? :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry:

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to cook nice meals

Postby qms » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Muffins wrote:P.S. BTW, this is a little different from the pasta contest, in the sense that if you give two recipes, both will be shown, so don't worry about that. I'll put up all recipes that are in this post, even if it is from the same person.

:idea: Since it's a contest, any prize? It will definitely attract more participants. :wink:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Muffins » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:46 pm

250 Kspoints???

I'll upload onto my post on this topic... :)

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:12 pm

My favourite is the all in one soup.

A few cobs of corn, some pork ribs, carrots, peanuts and lotus roots if you can find them at the time. Add a dash of salt, chopped up onion and boil - voila.

Simple, sweet and wholesome.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Tang Kwei Chicken

Postby Pen88n » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Here is my family's favourite recipe for chicken: Tang Kwei Steam Chicken

Ingredients:
1) either boneless thigh (cut into small pieces) or chicken wings (cut into parts)
2) a few pieces of tang kwei
3) wolfberry
5) chinese sausages (liap cheong)
6) mushrooms (tong gu). Can be dried or fresh shitake mushroom, depending on your liking
7) ginger cut into very thin shreds
8) a tablespoon of DOM, or more if you like the taste

Steps of preparation:
1) Marinate chicken with soy sauce, a little pepper and a little corn flour (supposed to make it smoother)
2) Soak chinese sausage in hot water. After a while, remove the "skin" and cut into slices (thick or thin depends on your preference)
3) Soak dried mushroom in water. Remove stalk and cut into slices
4) Wash and soak wolfberry for a short while
5) Place chicken into metal plate and add in DOM to marinate. Then add in shreds of ginger, chinese sausages slices, mushrooms slices, wolfberry and pieces of tang kwei. mix all well in plate.
6) Put in steamer for about 15 mins (depend on how big your dish is, adjust the timing for cooking).

You will smell the aroma once it is cooked. Yummy and it's healthy! The soup (sauce) from the dish can be added to kid's rice for their consumption.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Happened to browse thru this thread, wonder is this recipe contest still on-going??? :?
how come so quiet here ??
if yes, i'll input 1 recipe of home cooked food.......quite a few of my frens loved this dish :D

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Muffins » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Yes Augmum!!! Still on!!! Wonder why no one wants to post, when everyone posted pasta at the other thread... :sad:

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm

thks muffins for yr reply......
since still on, at night i'll type out my recipe and post

ya lorr....is so quiet here.....don't be :(
at least 1 more recipe fr me..... :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next