ingredients for making sushi

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

ingredients for making sushi

Postby pink_daisy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14 am

hi all,

may i noe where to get the ingredients for making sushi? wld like to get the bean curd puff...the scallop n octopus...pls advice... (preferably in western sg) many tx.

pink_daisy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Anna Ng » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:32 am

Hi! May i know how to make a good sushi, i always failed as the rice always sticky

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pokemon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Anna Ng wrote:Hi! May i know how to make a good sushi, i always failed as the rice always sticky

just reduced the amount of water when cooking,rice should be less sticky. sometimes it has to depend how long the rice has been harvested, if its 'old' rice, need more water otherwise normal amount will do.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: ingredients for making sushi

Postby pokemon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:45 pm

pink_daisy wrote:hi all,

may i noe where to get the ingredients for making sushi? wld like to get the bean curd puff...the scallop n octopus...pls advice... (preferably in western sg) many tx.

some ntuc has a jap section or ntuc finest. Otherwise, Meidya (jap supermarket) at liang court or isetan supermarket.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lklow » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Anna Ng wrote:Hi! May i know how to make a good sushi, i always failed as the rice always sticky

Hi Anna,

Maybe you can take a look at this post: http://food-4tots.com/2008/11/28/sushi-rolls/. Hope it helps. ;)

Regards,
LK (Food-4Tots)
fan page : http://www.facebook.com/FoodForToddlers
twitter : http://twitter.com/food4tots

lklow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 am

pokemon wrote:

just reduced the amount of water when cooking,rice should be less sticky. sometimes it has to depend how long the rice has been harvested, if its 'old' rice, need more water otherwise normal amount will do.

you can also try using the glutinous rice, don't soak too long, and microwave it instead

don't forget the vinegar
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Cheval » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm

pokemon wrote:

Vinegar is important to make rice less sticky.

Cheval
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Cheval wrote:
pokemon wrote:

Vinegar is important to make rice less sticky.

both Cold Storage and NTUC has the specific vinegar meant for making sushi
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 am

No need to use glutinous rice (my humble experience). Just use the regular short grain rice that the Japanese use. Use the amount of water they advice, and add that sushi vinegar that most of the supermarkets sell. It's usually in the Japanese section. They even sell sushi vinegar powder (same section, in a box) if you're worried abut pouring liquid into rice that already seems too wet to you.

But the entire rice IS rather sticky - that's why it clumps so well. Daiso sells these little plastic rice scoop (looks like a small paddle) that are miraculously non sticky to rice (must be some non-electromagnetic/zero static type of plastic). The surface is bumpy as well, not flat. It's really worthwhile getting if you happen to be in the area. After that, you will surely make sushi more than once, so it'll be worth the $1.99 you would have paid.
:drool:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tuckshop