Pre packaged minced meat

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Pre packaged minced meat

Postby tianzhu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi

How to wash pre packaged minced meat bought from the supermarkets?
Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Pre packaged minced meat

Postby peterch » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:18 pm

tianzhu wrote:Hi

Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes

May I know, why do you want to wash? You will loose its 'taste' by doing so :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Pre packaged minced meat

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 pm

tianzhu wrote:Hi

Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes

I believe they have been washed prior to being minced. The butcher at the market does that, so I am assuming that the supermarket staff does that too. :wink:

Postby auntieM » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Agree with 25hourmaid, the minced meat should be 'cleaned' liao.. ...
My mum always buy those whole piece lean meat then mince at home ourselves.. :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby duriz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 pm

I wash everything that I'm going to cook and cook with.
For meat, I'm mainly concerned about the butcher's chopper/knife, chopping block, grinder and water (as we are talking about mince here).
I know that you cannot kill any germs and bacteria especially salmonella simply by washing. Only cooking and heat can. But I'm washing off the blood and dirt I cannot see.

I'm grossed out when I watch a cooking program and the host takes out the mince in a pack and proceeds to cook it without rinsing.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jessnom » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:56 pm

duriz wrote:I wash everything that I'm going to cook and cook with.
For meat, I'm mainly concerned about the butcher's chopper/knife, chopping block, grinder and water (as we are talking about mince here).
I know that you cannot kill any germs and bacteria especially salmonella simply by washing. Only cooking and heat can. But I'm washing off the blood and dirt I cannot see.

I'm grossed out when I watch a cooking program and the host takes out the mince in a pack and proceeds to cook it without rinsing.

I wash everything as well. Even canned food and drinks. Before opening, i'll wash the top. :p abit fanatic, but habits die hard. Usually i put the minced meat in a fine sieve and run it under the tap before cooking,

jessnom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby duriz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:10 pm

jessnom wrote: I wash everything as well. Even canned food and drinks. Before opening, i'll wash the top. :p abit fanatic, but habits die hard. Usually i put the minced meat in a fine sieve and run it under the tap before cooking,

Me too :oops:
I even rinse the ice in glasses for drinks at kopitiams and food courts.
I'm a cleanoholic.
But just as long as I don't inconvenience others.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dasalo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:52 pm

I usually just rinse it over the tap when it's still frozen (if it's frozen, if fresh from wet market, the butcher would have already rinse it before mincing) Not that it'll clean the meat but by going through the motion, i'm psychologically convinced that i've cleaned it. :P

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fussyMummy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm

jessnom wrote:I wash everything as well. Even canned food and drinks. Before opening, i'll wash the top. :p abit fanatic, but habits die hard. Usually i put the minced meat in a fine sieve and run it under the tap before cooking,

same here... :wink:

:celebrate:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tuckshop