*Saladicious* (Salad Recipes)

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

*Saladicious* (Salad Recipes)

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi all,

Please share share any sensational salad recipes that you know of ... be it side salad, substantial salad or just your favourite salad recipes :celebrate: :celebrate:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Schweppes,

As per requested, long long time ago ...

Thanks for patiently waiting :oops: :oops:

I cannot list the amount of the ingredients and condiments used in the salad cuz I always aga aga according to taste. This almost 2 decade old recipe has been tweaked from the original to accede to the (all male) cousins' request from the in-law's side. Right down to the amt and how big the sausage and potato slices should be.

The original recipe had only potatoes and sausages. And the dressing consisted of only yogurt and mayonnaise.

I would call this a 'male oriented and dominated' salad :wink: :wink:

I made one today due to special request as we're having pot-luck over at the in-laws. Its also great for BBQ parties as well.

Ingredients:
Emborg or Valley Farm brand Sausages (I use my grill pan to brown them)
Frozen mixed vegetables (boiled)
Elbow shaped macaroni (boiled)
Potatoes (boiled)

Condiments:
Kraft brand low fat mayonnaise
Pauls's low fat plain yogurt
Salt (optional)
Paprika
Pepper
Italian seasoning (optional)
Original all purpose salt free seasoning (optional)

* The last four are from McCormick and Masterfoods

Method:
1. Mix the ingredients

2. Add the condiments according to taste.

I usually mix the ingredients first and leave it in the fridge. Before serving, I will then add the condiments. That way the mayonnaise and yogurt doesn't dry out and you can taste its creaminess if you know what I mean.

Here are the pix.

Last edited by autumnbronze on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Someone brought some yogurt/fruit salad to a dog gathering many years ago and since then, it has become my favourite item at potluck parties too. :celebrate:

Recipe is very simple. Sorry, using "agar-logy" here since that was what I was taught. :oops:

One tub of yogurt (either plain or fruit flavoured), different types of fruits, eg, grapes, papaya, honeydew, mango .... whatever you fancy. A bit of honey, golden raisins and chopped nuts (optional).

Healthy and nice! :celebrate:
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:54 pm

There's another one, also "agar-logy" recipe. Guava marinated with preserved orange peel! I am :drool: even as I type this. Must go and make some soon! :drool:

Very simple. Slice guava into thin slices. Cut preserved orange peel into thin stripes. Marinate one day in advance. Enjoy! :celebrate:

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 pm

25hourmaid wrote:There's another one, also "agar-logy" recipe. Guava marinated with preserved orange peel! I am :drool: even as I type this. Must go and make some soon! :drool:

Very simple. Slice guava into thin slices. Cut preserved orange peel into thin stripes. Marinate one day in advance. Enjoy! :celebrate:

This one die die must make make and try try :drool: :drool:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm

One last one. Green mango with sour prune. Yes, really green as in unripe. Think they are call Thai Green Mangoes if I am not wrong. I normally get them from Sheng Siong, seems like they are the only place that sells them.

Very simple again. Slice mango thinly, throw in a bit of sugar (to taste, don't forget the green mangos are very sour) and throw in some sour prunes. Again marinate for one day in advance.

Was at Sheng Shiong today. Here's how the green mangoes look like.

Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Happy Mama » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 pm

25hourmaid wrote:Someone brought some yogurt/fruit salad to a dog gathering many years ago and since then, it has become my favourite item at potluck parties too. :celebrate:

Recipe is very simple. Sorry, using "agar-logy" here since that was what I was taught. :oops:

One tub of yogurt (either plain or fruit flavoured), different types of fruits, eg, grapes, papaya, honeydew, mango .... whatever you fancy. A bit of honey, golden raisins and chopped nuts (optional).

Healthy and nice! :celebrate:

Mmmm... I like this! :wink:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

love the recipes. Thanks for sharing them.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 pm

autumnbronze wrote:This one die die must make make and try try :drool: :drool:

Yes, me too! Salivating away :drool: when I saw the picture which I have long forgotten I had! :oops:

Must go and buy the guava this weekend and the green mangoes too! My mum loves them, must make some for her too! :celebrate:

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Happy Mama wrote:Mmmm... I like this! :wink:

:celebrate: Yes, it's very good, especially eaten chilled! :celebrate: Oh yes, remember, no orange or citrus fruits. It's too acidic for this salad.

Next

Return to Tuckshop