Healthy breakfast for school kids

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Healthy breakfast for school kids

Postby KAN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am

Help! I am out of ideas for breakfast for dd before she goes to school. anyone with any quick fix for healthy breakfast?

KAN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 am

toast some ham and bread and make simple sandwich for a change
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby Eddow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:35 am

My kids normally have bread for breakfast. Sandwich bread with ham / smashed hard-boiled egg with mayo/ french toast/ tuna/peanut butter/jam/fillet. For quick one like cereal(koko crunch/ honey star etc.) with milk. Sometimes they've steam pau/bun.

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby KAN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 pm

thank u for the suggestions :D

dd is very picky on food... so sometimes its not easy to get her to eat what i prepare ... sigh

KAN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Funz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Like that no choice but to prepare things that she likes to eat right.

Most convenient will be cereal with milk.
Oat porridge. There are instant ones that are pretty convenient
Chee Cheong Fun. I get the refrigerated ones from NTUC, steam and dump the sauce before eating
Yoghurt
1/2 or hard boiled eggs
waffles. Frozen ones, just pop into toaster or microwave to heat up, serve with butter and honey
Cream soup and toast
Confectionary buns and cakes

Morning, no time for coaxing and fussiness so the best alternative, just serve them things that I know they will definitely eat. Even if it is the same thing every morning, nevermind, so long as they get some breakfast.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10823
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 318



Postby micollh » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am

i give my girl hard boil egg, but she eats yolk and don't want the white.. mm.. anyway, did you all buy normal egg or kampung egg ? i heard kampung egg better but it costs more lor.. dunno really true or not it's better as in free of chemical stuff la..

try not to give ur children Ham/sausage tt often as these are not healthy meat and it contains substance tt's not good if take in long run.

try to use steam chicken meat and shred them to make the filling for sandwiches. (if have time, of course)

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby KAN » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 am

dd dont like egg. when ever i cook hard boiled egg for breakfast, i always have a hard time making her eat... which always ended up being late for school ... dd likes biscuit for breakfast, but i find that it has not much nutrition :(

sometimes i just want to do what my mum did... just give us a cup of milo and sent us to school...

KAN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Augmum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:29 am

micollh wrote:i give my girl hard boil egg, but she eats yolk and don't want the white.. mm.. anyway, did you all buy normal egg or kampung egg ? i heard kampung egg better but it costs more lor.. dunno really true or not it's better as in free of chemical stuff la..

try not to give ur children Ham/sausage tt often as these are not healthy meat and it contains substance tt's not good if take in long run.

try to use steam chicken meat and shred them to make the filling for sandwiches. (if have time, of course)

becos of nitrite or nitrate used in the curing process of ham, sausage, bacon, etc
under suitable conditions will react with nitrogen to form nitrosamines which is a potent cargcinogen.

so it's better to eat less such food......

having said that, think most kids would like to eat them :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86


Postby micollh » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:52 am

Augmum wrote:
micollh wrote:i give my girl hard boil egg, but she eats yolk and don't want the white.. mm.. anyway, did you all buy normal egg or kampung egg ? i heard kampung egg better but it costs more lor.. dunno really true or not it's better as in free of chemical stuff la..

try not to give ur children Ham/sausage tt often as these are not healthy meat and it contains substance tt's not good if take in long run.

try to use steam chicken meat and shred them to make the filling for sandwiches. (if have time, of course)

becos of nitrite or nitrate used in the curing process of ham, sausage, bacon, etc
under suitable conditions will react with nitrogen to form nitrosamines which is a potent cargcinogen.

so it's better to eat less such food......

having said that, think most kids would like to eat them :wink:


yeah it's nitrate. kids will like so, don't introduce it in the first place. if you don't buy it, they wont get to eat it at home.. so reduce the chances of eating it.. i did that la..


my fren's son (6) cannot don't have sausage on his meal daily, she is quite worried and said she regret as she gave him sausages very often when he is younger

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Augmum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:04 am

micollh wrote:yeah it's nitrate. kids will like so, don't introduce it in the first place. if you don't buy it, they wont get to eat it at home.. so reduce the chances of eating it.. i did that la..
my fren's son (6) cannot don't have sausage on his meal daily, she is quite worried and said she regret as she gave him sausages very often when he is younger

ya...agree....is better to eat less, do some "controlling" :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86


Next

Return to Tuckshop