Traditional Ginger Tea

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Traditional Ginger Tea

Postby e3nity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 am

I often patron Javanese massage and like the taste of the ginger tea served after the massage.. For parents who share the same taste.. This is how you can do it at hme

What you need?
1. Gula Meleka (those sold in NTUC, 1 packet have about 6 small pieces compared to the standard 2 big pieces)
2. Young Ginger 1 stem
3. Old Ginger 1 Stem

How to do it?
1. Fill up a pot of water and boil it
2. When the water is boiled, put in 1 pcs (small) of gula meleka
3. Add in the Ginger w/o the skin
4. Boil for a about 15minutes or till gula meleka is dissolved
5. Remove the Ginger and smash it before putting it back to the pot to boil further for 5-10 minutes.
6. Taste if it is spicy enough if not you can repeat step 3 & 5..

Enjoy ur Ginger Tea.. 8)

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Thank you for sharing e3tnity :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby e3nity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:39 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Thank you for sharing e3tnity :D

U're Welcome.. hope you like the taste.. :D

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:26 pm

This sounds simply heavenly especially since I've been feeling bloated and burping like there's no tomorrow.

Love ginger

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby e3nity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Funz wrote:This sounds simply heavenly especially since I've been feeling bloated and burping like there's no tomorrow.

Love ginger

FunZ.. Seems lke ur stomach is nt feelin so well.. Perhaps u wana lessen the Ginger first Coz when consume warm, ur tummy will hav a hot sensation.. :lol:

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:37 pm

I like ginger tea too.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm

e3nity wrote:
Funz wrote:This sounds simply heavenly especially since I've been feeling bloated and burping like there's no tomorrow.

Love ginger

FunZ.. Seems lke ur stomach is nt feelin so well.. Perhaps u wana lessen the Ginger first Coz when consume warm, ur tummy will hav a hot sensation.. :lol:

No worries about hot sensation. Am used to spicy stuff. Been taking quite a lot of painkillers as I am plagued by migraine since last week. To keep gastric at bay gotta take antacids so lead to bloatedness. To ease the bloatedness, and to some extent nausea, been munching on ginger. Talk about chain reaction. :P

So a piping hot cup of ginger tea sounds sooo comforting.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Traditional Ginger Tea

Postby Happy Mama » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 pm

e3nity wrote:I often patron Javanese massage and like the taste of the ginger tea served after the massage.. For parents who share the same taste.. This is how you can do it at hme

What you need?
1. Gula Meleka (those sold in NTUC, 1 packet have about 6 small pieces compared to the standard 2 big pieces)
2. Young Ginger 1 stem
3. Old Ginger 1 Stem

How to do it?
1. Fill up a pot of water and boil it
2. When the water is boiled, put in 1 pcs (small) of gula meleka
3. Add in the Ginger w/o the skin
4. Boil for a about 15minutes or till gula meleka is dissolved
5. Remove the Ginger and smash it before putting it back to the pot to boil further for 5-10 minutes.
6. Taste if it is spicy enough if not you can repeat step 3 & 5..

Enjoy ur Ginger Tea.. 8)

Thanks for sharing, e3nity. I love ginger tea. One of the spas I patronize also serves ginger tea and I had also asked them for their recipe. Everything similar except they use rock sugar instead of gula melaka. Mmm, divine. :love:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 pm

I brew my own ginger tea too. Depending on what I have, I use rock sugar or gula melaka or even honey.

For added health benefits, you can also add in a stick of cinnamon when u boil the ginger. The spice helps to manage our blood sugar level and it's been known to have anti-bacterial and immune supportive properties. It's especially good for our gut. So, everytime I drink my ginger and cinnamon spiced tea, I... uh... imagine them fighting against the bacteria in my gut. :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Happy Mama » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm

schweppes wrote:I brew my own ginger tea too. Depending on what I have, I use rock sugar or gula melaka or even honey.

For added health benefits, you can also add in a stick of cinnamon when u boil the ginger. The spice helps to manage our blood sugar level and it's been known to have anti-bacterial and immune supportive properties. It's especially good for our gut. So, everytime I drink my ginger and cinnamon spiced tea, I... uh... imagine them fighting against the bacteria in my gut. :wink:

This is something new, schweppes... Hmm, will try with cinnamon next time. :celebrate:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop