Good baking courses to recommend?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Good baking courses to recommend?

Postby baglady » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 am

Hi all, I'm interested in signing up for a baking course. Can anyone recommend a good course/school for beginners? I'd love to learn how to decorate cakes so I can make my own birthday cakes!

I heard about Bake It Yourself and Creative Culinaire. Any feedback on these 2 schools?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

baglady
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Shermay's cooking school at Chip Bee Gardens is well known. The EZ cooking at Great World and another at United Square is popular too, however no first hand experience so can't comment further

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Phoon Huat has baking classes too.

http://www.phoonhuat.com/b_demo.htm

Re: Good baking courses to recommend?

Postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 pm

baglady wrote:Hi all, I'm interested in signing up for a baking course. Can anyone recommend a good course/school for beginners? I'd love to learn how to decorate cakes so I can make my own birthday cakes!

I heard about Bake It Yourself and Creative Culinaire. Any feedback on these 2 schools?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Basic baking courses is not the same as decorating cake courses.

Many CC have instructors to demo how to bake a cake, no hands-on type. The participants will get a recipe and a piece of the cake to take home.

My SIL attended a series of baking courses at Creative Culinaire. Some basic decoration done to the cake.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Happy Mama » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:41 pm

My friend learnt her baking at Creative Culinaire. The cakes she bakes are lovely and very prettily decorated. Only drawback is, their classes are very long, irrc, 5-6 hours each session. I cannot afford the time, so I did mine at Phoon Huat. Didn't take up a course but rather on an ad-hoc basis when I see something that interests me.

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Happy Mama wrote:My friend learnt her baking at Creative Culinaire. The cakes she bakes are lovely and very prettily decorated. Only drawback is, their classes are very long, irrc, 5-6 hours each session. I cannot afford the time, so I did mine at Phoon Huat. Didn't take up a course but rather on an ad-hoc basis when I see something that interests me.

happy mama, u did yrs at PH ?? which branches have it ??
so what did u learn there ??

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Happy Mama » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Augmum wrote:
Happy Mama wrote:My friend learnt her baking at Creative Culinaire. The cakes she bakes are lovely and very prettily decorated. Only drawback is, their classes are very long, irrc, 5-6 hours each session. I cannot afford the time, so I did mine at Phoon Huat. Didn't take up a course but rather on an ad-hoc basis when I see something that interests me.

happy mama, u did yrs at PH ?? which branches have it ??
so what did u learn there ??

I learnt from their main office at Geylang. Learnt to bake sweetbuns, tiramisu cake, chocolate fudge cake, and some other interesting cakes, cannot remember already coz that was a long time ago. You can go their website to check. Sometimes they have very interesting classes, and each student can get to bring home 2 cakes after the class. So fun! I went with my group of friends and we had so much fun giggling. :wink:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Happy Mama wrote:I learnt from their main office at Geylang. Learnt to bake sweetbuns, tiramisu cake, chocolate fudge cake, and some other interesting cakes, cannot remember already coz that was a long time ago. You can go their website to check. Sometimes they have very interesting classes, and each student can get to bring home 2 cakes after the class. So fun! I went with my group of friends and we had so much fun giggling. :wink:

ok, thks.
i juz saw from their website, very long timing, i dun like.
was yrs hands -on or juz demo session ??

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Happy Mama » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Augmum wrote:
Happy Mama wrote:I learnt from their main office at Geylang. Learnt to bake sweetbuns, tiramisu cake, chocolate fudge cake, and some other interesting cakes, cannot remember already coz that was a long time ago. You can go their website to check. Sometimes they have very interesting classes, and each student can get to bring home 2 cakes after the class. So fun! I went with my group of friends and we had so much fun giggling. :wink:

ok, thks.
i juz saw from their website, very long timing, i dun like.
was yrs hands -on or juz demo session ??

Huh? 3 hours for baking is not long. I think it's just nice. Mine was hands on. I don't like demo sessions. :wink:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Happy Mama » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Augmum, you will faint if you see Creative Culinaire's timing. I think it's like 1 pm to 6 pm or almost 7 pm. Too long, that's why I didn't join.

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop