Can expired food stuff be eaten?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Can expired food stuff be eaten?

Postby Bedokid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Just curious to know whether expired food stuff really can be eaten? I remembered one of my friend who is working in a supermarket told me that actually expired food stuff can be eaten provided they are not very long overdue. Anyone here to comment????? :? :? :?

Bedokid
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 pm

I hv eaten expired Marmite (kept in the fridge all along, no weird smell/taste) and drank expired bottle of essence of chicken. Maybe I was lucky in both instances, no issue.

Will not drink expired fresh milk (tried once, yucky sourish taste) or eat expired fresh produce.

Even my fresh meat/fish/veg, I dun keep for more than 3 days.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bedokid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Jennifer wrote:I hv eaten expired Marmite (kept in the fridge all along, no weird smell/taste) and drank expired bottle of essence of chicken. Maybe I was lucky in both instances, no issue.

Will not drink expired fresh milk (tried once, yucky sourish taste) or eat expired fresh produce.

What about just expired milk powder? For fresh produce, if I dun eat normally I will freeze them till I cook.....

Bedokid
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peterch » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Actually, expiry date stated on packaging is for safety measure. We never know when is the 'real' expiry date. Some product could be consumed not more than 6 months from expiry date. Some even gone bad before the expiry date. (maybe due to storage condition)

For myself, I would prefer to compare prod date (if available) with expiry date. Don't choose those with almost reach expiry date. :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 am

Unexpired medicines lose their efficacy when opened for more than 6 months. It's not just the expiry dates that matter. It's how you store the food and how long you have opened it. Bread can last very long in the freezer but only 5 days outside. Chilled Tofu sometimes can't even survive past their expiry dates.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:16 am

Bedokid wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I hv eaten expired Marmite (kept in the fridge all along, no weird smell/taste) and drank expired bottle of essence of chicken. Maybe I was lucky in both instances, no issue.

What about just expired milk powder? For fresh produce, if I dun eat normally I will freeze them till I cook.....

Hv not tried expired milk powder yet. We usu. could finish before the printed expiry date.

I normally buy enough fresh produce for 3 days cooking.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 am

Some bread (eg from G), though past their expired date, I still eat them since I did not see any obvious mould growing.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Some bread (eg from G), though past their expired date, I still eat them since I did not see any obvious mould growing.

Usually these breads contain some preservatives so they last some time without mould. My friend's kid did a science experiment trying to grow mould on bread. Unsuccessful on Gardenia bread, despite all the necessary conditions of moisture, warmth etc.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mommyNg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 am

jtoh wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:Some bread (eg from G), though past their expired date, I still eat them since I did not see any obvious mould growing.

Usually these breads contain some preservatives so they last some time without mould. My friend's kid did a science experiment trying to grow mould on bread. Unsuccessful on Gardenia bread, despite all the necessary conditions of moisture, warmth etc.

I had bad experience with Bonjour Milk Bread. Mould was growing one day BEFORE the expired date! So sad, had to throw away many pieces of bread.. :(. Perhaps the loaf of bread was put near the microwave oven - but then again we seldom use the microwave oven.. Perhaps ur fren's kid can redo the exp using Bonjour milk bread! :P

Maybe that means Bonjour bread is better than Gardenia bread cos' less preservative?

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Can expired food stuff be eaten?

Postby LKVM » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 am

Bedokid wrote:Just curious to know whether expired food stuff really can be eaten? I remembered one of my friend who is working in a supermarket told me that actually expired food stuff can be eaten provided they are not very long overdue. Anyone here to comment????? :? :? :?

It depends upon the type of the product... if its fresh products better not to consume... however if its packed prodcuts you may use it for maybe another 1-2 months depending upon the product again...
I wouldnt dare to use medicines though after the expiry :P

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop