How do remind yourself to switch off the GAS?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

How do remind yourself to switch off the GAS?

Postby heyhoe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Ladies,

I usually try to cook in the morning before going off to work. Somehow, I always can't remember if I did switch off the gas? Worst still, I only remember on the way to work! At times, I have to take the mrt back and go home to check.

Just this morning, I've to go back and check. I did off the "Gas" although I waste my effort but at least I have the peace of mind.

Do you mind to give me some tips?

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: How do remind yourself to switch off the GAS?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 am

Why don't you paste a notice on the fridge or the kitchen door or anywhere visible to you as a checklist to check all the relevant items before you leave the kitchen? Then eventually it becomes a habit.

I have the habit of checking the switches in the house before I leave, just to ensure all power points not in use are off, heater off, iron off, microwave off etc...

Recently I use 2 stoves to cook concurrently so sometimes I may forget to switch off one, especially after I lift off the pot and pour the contents out into the other pot on another stove. However, I have made it a habit now to clean up the stove immediately after using so it will prevent the forgetfulness of not switching the stove off.

Postby Mrsbongz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm

I am usually in a rush in the mornings too, I try to remind myself to check, but I still forget :( Once I left a pot boiling... only remember at 5plus in the afternoon.. Hubs went back to turn off, good thing the flat didn't burn down.. but I had to throw away my thermal pot... n the smell stayed for days!!

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sandunes » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Use a $2 magnetic timer from Daiso. After u have turned on the gas switch, set the timer for x mins ( the time u usu. cook for before leaving for work). Once the timer goes off, turn all switches off regardless of whether u are ready to leave the house. That's what I do even when I am at home.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby heyhoe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I like the suggestion on the timer.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Don't use the stove if in hurry?

Consider using steamer to steam dishes, will auto time off. Use slow cooker or rice cooker with auto time off.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Intermezzo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am

i also burnt a few pots because of forgetfulness.. :roll:

now i switched to using the Magnetic electric stove for dishes that need a longer cooking time - soup / stew etc.

there is a timer on the stove, so just remember always to set a safe time so the stove will automatically turns off before all the liquid dries up. after that you can have peace of mind ~

i mostly only use the gas stove for stir-fry dishes now.

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby prata_queen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 pm

in the mornings, i will leave the kitchen light on to remind me that i still have yet to turn off my gas. but sometimes the light isnt obvious when it gets brighter around 7am.

prata_queen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tuckshop