Soya Sauce

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Soya Sauce

Postby dokomo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi,

May I ask which brand of light soya sauce mummies here are using pls? Any recommendations pls?

I used Braggs brand before, but the taste is wierd. Kikoman taste is fine but realised the ingredients has alcohol. Also realised that the LKK brand has MSG. (thot i saw monosodium g... as one of the ingredient)

TIA!

dokomo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Soya Sauce

Postby northernstar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm

My mom has been using Da Hua light soy sauce since i was small... e smell is ok but i dunno got MSG or not.

northernstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby UncleLim » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 pm

northernstar wrote:My mom has been using Da Hua light soy sauce since i was small... e smell is ok but i dunno got MSG or not.

I am not a sauce expert but someone told me that for Tai Hwa brand, I should only buy the ones that states "naturally brewed".

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tamagotchi » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I buy my soy sauce from organic shop. The one that I'm using now stated one year natural fermentation and no MSG added. It cost around 10 bucks a 750ml bottle, I find it very fragrant and taste good. The brand is Ahimsa.

tamagotchi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby carebear » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I like Tiger top quality light soy sauce.

I have tried many brands and I like this best.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I bought mine from kwong woh hing sauce factory. www.kwh.com.sg

They brewed it themselves and I love it that they use glass bottles. They made many other sauces too. They brewed it the old fashion way and it takes about a yr for each batch.

I bought it when there was a food fest. It's not available in retail shops. They deliver FOC if total cost is $25 or you have to go to their factory.

I like the taste and fragrance, it's very different to the ones that I've tasted. I even bought their version of the 5 spice mix which they use more then 5 types of spices, can't remember how many, very nice too.

Their dark soy sauce also very good and yummy.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:35 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:I bought mine from kwong woh hing sauce factory. http://www.kwh.com.sg

They brewed it themselves and I love it that they use glass bottles. They made many other sauces too. They brewed it the old fashion way and it takes about a yr for each batch.

I bought it when there was a food fest. It's not available in retail shops. They deliver FOC if total cost is $25 or you have to go to their factory.

I like the taste and fragrance, it's very different to the ones that I've tasted. I even bought their version of the 5 spice mix which they use more then 5 types of spices, can't remember how many, very nice too.

Their dark soy sauce also very good and yummy.

SAHM_TAN, why do they not sell them in retail outlets or supermarkets? Is it for export only? :?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby dokomo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:19 pm

wow, forgot about this thread and now I have my questions answered! I will check out the soya sauce mentioned above. My mom has also been using da hwa for many years. Recently switched to kikoman again cos it didn't state got alcohol, but the taste still seems to have alcohol. May go back to Braggs afterall. Healthy but odd taste.
:thankyou:

dokomo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:35 pm

UncleLim wrote:SAHM_TAN, why do they not sell them in retail outlets or supermarkets? Is it for export only? :?

Sorry for the late reply, I did not opt for notification.

According to them, it's the qty aspect. They don't make enough to fill up the shelves. Each batch takes about a yr to ferment. The taste is really different. If they sell them in retail outlets, they will have to mass produce and shorten the fermentation duration which will affect the quality.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 pm

大华 orange cap $4.95 from ntuc

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tuckshop