All About Restaurants - Share Your Culinary Experience :) !

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

All About Restaurants - Share Your Culinary Experience :) !

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:55 pm

I have a huge passion for food :love: and love going to various restaurants for the culinary experience

Thought to share what I have tried and tested so far :boogie:

Hope Fellow KSP-ians will share theirs too :please:

List of Tried & Tested By KSP-ians
- Absinthe
- Al Forno
- Bistro Soori
- Blu Kouzinos
- Bodega Y Tapas
- Capricci
- Chang (Korean)
- Disgruntled Chef
- Etna
- Flutes
- Forlino
- Garibaldi
- Halia
- il Lido
- Ippudo
- Majestic
- Modestos
- Otto & Amber restaurant at hotel 1929
- Petrasienta
- Ristorante Da Valentino
- The White Rabbit
- Wah Lok at Carlton Hotel (Dim Sum)
- Wild Rocket
Last edited by Kissgurami on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All About Restaurants - Share Your Culinary Experience :

Postby auntieM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:06 pm

We frequent the Al Forno at East Coast Road for Italian food..Cozy and prompt service. They are always full so have to make reservations.. :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

The Disgruntled Chef @ Dempsey

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Chicken Liver Parfait
I loved this dish! Smooth and creamy, even my kids loved it! Could do with a little more toast on the side. The pate goes really well with the prune jam which was shaped as a prune as well

Crab Cakes with Chilli Jam
Another winner with the kids and myself, we sat at the alfresco hence lighting wasn’t my best friend so the picture is a little over flashed.

Baked Camembert Fondue
It was good combintation , apple sauce was a little tart for my liking. Camembert were evenly melted and not burnt. I preferred just the multi-grain toast and cheese.

Steak Tartare with soft quail egg & potato chips
The dish was carefully executed with a soft boil quail egg right in the middle of the steak tartare. The seasoning had a little kick to it. Couldn’t fathom what it was, probably a tint a wasabi? As for the potato chips, it was came across as an extra to the dish, they don’t match. I would recommend to try the steak tartare and pass the chips to whoever loves chips :-p

Crackling Suckling PigHmmm, I felt it was a waste of money. Blame it on the sucking pig served in the Chinese Restaurants, this doesn’t fare anywhere close. There were bits which were fatty and did not taste pleasant.

Katie’s Chunky Chips:
They are chunky chips as stated , pretty ordinary but the accompanying truffle sauce made the difference.We ended finishing the sauce and left half a portion of chips.

Crayfish Macaroni & Cheese
This dish is lovely , creamy and the crayfish were bite size morsels. I would truly recommend it for anyone and kids who love their pasta.

Baby Spinach Salad with Mirin Dressing and Marinated Egg
Amongst all the small plates, the salad was served in a bigger portion compared to the rest. Spinach was crisp and fresh. I liked the sauce and the marinated egg. Will I order it again? Probably Not, nothing wow to it except it is a salad.

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:21 pm

auntieM wrote:We frequent the Al Forno at East Coast Road for Italian food..Cozy and prompt service. They are always full so have to make reservations.. :wink:

What's recommended at Al Forno :smile: ?

I have tried to grab a reservation but always a day too late :gloomy: , need to try harder

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Blu Kouzina

Postby Kissgurami » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Blu Kouzina – How it looks like, Good for one time experience

Bougiourdi – Red Peppers stuffed with spicy feta cheese

Loved this dish alot! I would say order this dish! Kick from the paprika , feta cheese with the red pepper was a great combi! If you aren’t in mushy taste, you might give it a miss , if not try it

Saganaki with Figs. – Kefalotiri Psito with fig sauce

This was my favourite dish. If you like it sweet, the fig sauce will work well for you. The Must do is eat it hot!

Tzatziki & Pita bread

Simple and Nice, they are sold separately but I would recommend them together. Fiesty paprika pita dipped in cool tangy tzatziki

Spanakopita – Phylo pastry filled with spinach, feta cheese, and herbs

Skip this, it is kind of oily. Nothing special except spinach in paper thin filo. It was slightly burnt at the tips as well. It came after we had the rest of our starters and kebab so it could have tasted bland compared to the rest of the food.

Grilled Red Snapper

The fish was grilled perfectly and doused in oilve oil. It was a simple recipe of fish, lemon and oilve oil but it worked well beautifully. It was a tad pricey though.

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Kissgurami,

The baked camembert, crab cakes and chicken liver parfait look good! So the chicken liver parfait is like a pate? Interesting presentation with the jam jar. I feel a visit to Dempsey is in order. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Blu kouzina - it's a Greek restaurant? Where is it located?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Kissgurami » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

jtoh wrote:Kissgurami,

The baked camembert, crab cakes and chicken liver parfait look good! So the chicken liver parfait is like a pate? Interesting presentation with the jam jar. I feel a visit to Dempsey is in order. :)

Yup, it is pate served in a jar (actually it looks like those chicken essence jar :p)

Do check it out :D ,

tip though, if you are sitting alfresco, do ask for additional mozzie coil, the mozzies do get nasty in the evening :smile:

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks kissgurami. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Just checked out their website. I like what I see. :) Oh and they serve Nespresso at $5 a cup. Makes me so happy to have my own little nespresso machine at home.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tuckshop