Preservative in Frozen fishes ?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Preservative in Frozen fishes ?

Postby micollh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 am

i just want to ask if any of you know that our fishes (especially those frozen , imported fishes e.g cod/salmon/fin/tuna) has got preservatives, like formalin on them ? I was informed by frens in KL that the wet market uncle told her, those frozen big fish like cod/salmon has formalin, so cannot consume that often ? i was so concerned as i feed my kids with these fishes and i know many parents did the same.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Preservative in Frozen fishes ?

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 am

Yes it is true. My aunt used to work as a fishmonger and she told me to stop all these fish when she saw my son's eczema because of the additives.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:46 am

To clarify, the fishes themselves are not "bad". It is just that they have to last the journey and fish deteriorate very quickly, especially in our weather.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bebebub » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 am

You are refering to those frozen fish in the frozen seafood section of supermarkets, right? I must take a closer look at the packaging the next time I buy them. Isn't it a requirement by AVA to include such information on the packaging?

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dasalo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:15 pm

I was told by my fishmonger this morning that certain fresh fish (I can't remember which ones) also has preservatives. It is added to firm the meat during transportation.

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

This can't be right, from what I know formalin is toxic to human. How can it be used as preservative? If sure of the source must inform ava.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:49 pm

micollh wrote:i just want to ask if any of you know that our fishes (especially those frozen , imported fishes e.g cod/salmon/fin/tuna) has got preservatives, like formalin on them ? I was informed by frens in KL that the wet market uncle told her, those frozen big fish like cod/salmon has formalin, so cannot consume that often ? i was so concerned as i feed my kids with these fishes and i know many parents did the same.

:yikes:

:nailbite:

Agree with SAHM_TAN that formalin is toxic ....

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-formalin.htm

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dasalo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 pm

dasalo wrote:I was told by my fishmonger this morning that certain fresh fish (I can't remember which ones) also has preservatives. It is added to firm the meat during transportation.

My fishmonger did not say specifically what they added.

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:This can't be right, from what I know formalin is toxic to human. How can it be used as preservative? If sure of the source must inform ava.

Formalin is an FDA approved food additive (up to certain specified limit since it is known to be toxic n carcinogenic) which also occurs naturally in certain fishes n foods.

dis brief fr CFS is informative:
http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/programme/programme_rafs/programme_rafs_fa_02_09.html

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:37 am

micollh wrote:i just want to ask if any of you know that our fishes (especially those frozen , imported fishes e.g cod/salmon/fin/tuna) has got preservatives, like formalin on them ? I was informed by frens in KL that the wet market uncle told her, those frozen big fish like cod/salmon has formalin, so cannot consume that often ? i was so concerned as i feed my kids with these fishes and i know many parents did the same.

i do suspect so......
even if it's not formalin, they are treated with chemical preservatives.

i ever bot those frozen de-shelled prawns (happened that i ran out of seawater prawns)
they are so slimy to touch.
i washed them several rounds and soaked them in water,
intentionly leaving them outside.......
surprisingly, they looked "fresh" for many hrs...... :roll:

i remembered watching a TV documentary programme,
it showed that the slaughtered chickens were dipped in formalin solution
before the sellers took them to sell.......
seems that they can last for days even without refrigeration...... :scared: :yikes:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tuckshop