Good and cheap food in JB

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Good and cheap food in JB

Postby coolit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,

I am going to JB this Friday and I have not been in there for a while. I was wondering if anyone knows of good and cheap food places to recommend?

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Good and cheap food in JB

Postby hquek » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Good but not cheap. My fav laksa place

WW Laksa House. http://ugwug.blogspot.com/2008/01/ww-la ... johor.html. If you are driving, once you clear the woodlands checkpoint on the JB side, keep to the right and go up the 'expressway'. Keep going until you see Thistle hotel (ex Hyatt hotel), exit and turn right...keep going straight until you see that pink house in the web page (not mine, but the pictures are very clear).

The laksa is fantastic (to me) and she adds some tau kee and other stuff. Chilli is sedap - I usually pour the whole thing into my laksa. They sell also otah (70MYRcents) per pc - not as spicy as SG, pretty nice.

In JB, other places that can't fail - Nandos, Secret Recipe. You know what you're getting and it's SG numbers in RM prices...CHEAP!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby coolit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Ok tks hquek! Will feed all this info to hubby. :boogie:

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm

if you are going to 'Tai Ma' (dunno what it is actually), there is a wet market there where SG like to buy vegetables and fish and what nots. Around there is a Shell petrol station. in a small street between the petrol station and shophouses, there is a very good 'yong tau foo' coffeeshop. They have fantastic mee pok (the sauce plus chilli is good) and you can add yong tau foo into your noodles. Amongst the ingredients available are oysters. I've NEVER eaten such sweet (smallish but plump) oysters in my life. I don't like oysters usually but these are the exception. Would order the oyster soup (oysters plus some meat in soup). They also stock foochow fishballs.

Sorry, haven't been there for a long time, so not sure what the name is. Will find out if I get a chance to go in.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby coolit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 am

I went to the laksa house. Best laksa, my hubby ordered 2 bowls. No time for Tai Ma. Went for some very good massage too. The 1 day holiday was worth it! Tks hquek. :imcool:

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 am

yo Coolit, glad it was not tough to find. Yah, yesterday I had Kelantan laksa...somehow it lacks the oomph of WW Laksa house.

FYI, during CNY, the loveletters they help to sell are very very good also. Didn't try the other new year goodies.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby coolit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:18 am

'Oomph' is the right word for the WW Laksa house. I think whenever we go in to JB, we
will make it one of our stops. All tks to your recommendation lah, hope we don't get too
fat haha.

You went to Kelantan or is it available in Singapore?

Are their loveletters homemade? I don't really fancy loveletters but may buy some for
parents and ILs.

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

no no. Kelantan laksa is located at Jalan Besar - Singapore. They are famous for not having chopsticks (no tau pok also). Yes, WW laksa gravy is more 'full bodied' compared with the stuff we generally get in SG. The lady store owner is very nice also.

WW Laksa house helps pp to sell CNY goodies - we tried their loveletters (my mum liked it so much she bought a lot to give away). It may be made by pp at their homes. not too sure on that.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby coolit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh haha which part of Jalan Besar? May get some loveletters for my mum and mil.

Anyway, malaysian food is always better than singaporean, most of the time anyway.
They seem to use fresher ingredients. and tks yah for all the recommendations. My hubby and I are real foodies so we always take down all the good food places, now this laksa place at JB is one more place :lol:

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 am

i think the correct name could be sungei road laksa. The correct one should be at Blk 27 Kelantan Lane (just directly down the road from Jln Besar market - the oyster omelette at this place is fantastic).

They used to be at Blk 31 Kelantan Lane, and I still see reviews for the laksa here. but I don't think it's the original one becos I ate here many years ago and the stall owner has moved to Blk 27. Amazed that the new operators can use the same name.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tuckshop