Rice Cooker

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Rice Cooker

Postby sunshine05 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Any recommendations for rice cooker which is not teflon-coated (inner pot)?
Currently, I'm using such coated ones and every now and then, I have to change rice cooker.

I already have a thermal pot and a pressure cooker. So, I don't really need a multi-function cooker - just something that can cook rice easily.

Thanks.

sunshine05
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Rice Cooker

Postby The Little Cheng Mommy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi, my family is using Buffalo brand rice cooker. Much more expensive than the normal cookers. The inner pot is made of stainless steel. No coating at all so don't have to worry about the coating come off. I find that the rice cooked is much better than the old one that we used. More chewy and fragrant. Two sizes, small one costs $100+, big one costs $200+ (i forgot the size, big one can cook for >5 people). I bought it from OG (fixed price).

The Little Cheng Mommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm

We used to have the buffalo but one observation is that unlike the other rice cookers, the rice tend to stick to the pot.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sunshine05 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 am

The Little Cheng Mommy wrote:Hi, my family is using Buffalo brand rice cooker. Much more expensive than the normal cookers. The inner pot is made of stainless steel. No coating at all so don't have to worry about the coating come off. I find that the rice cooked is much better than the old one that we used. More chewy and fragrant. Two sizes, small one costs $100+, big one costs $200+ (i forgot the size, big one can cook for >5 people). I bought it from OG (fixed price).

Can I cook something like "clay pot rice" in the Buffalo rice cooker?

Currently, if I cook it in normal rice cooker, the rice cooker inner pot seem to spoil faster....

sunshine05
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby The Little Cheng Mommy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

Never been so adventurous at home. Hehe. Only cook plain rice and porridge. Ya, rice will stick to the bottom.

The Little Cheng Mommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Rice Cooker Recommendation

Postby Andaiz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi there, am re-prising sunshine05's thread.

Any suggestions? I currently have one of those stainless steel ones but rice sticks to the sides and there seems to be wastage loh.

Thanks in advance.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunshine05 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:05 pm

How about Supor rice cooker with ceramic coating?
Has anyone tried?

Regards.

sunshine05
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Andaiz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 am

Hi there, thought I'd re-visit this since I've gotten my replacement rice-cooker and it's doing well.

There is a not-so new technology called the black Celloid (probably wrong spelling) that is hardier than teflon :-) Non-stick so it works fine for us.

Also, pointer from the saleslady if you are using the stainless steel inner pots.
When the button moves to keep warm (from Cook), immediately switch off the mains. Then leave for 15 minutes, then open the lid and fluff out the rice.

Good for families who eat together etc. For mine, it's challenging coz the kids eat at 6, and DD2 comes home after school at about 7 whereas the adults have dinner at 8pm. By then the rice is no longer warm. Sianz...

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Andaiz wrote:Also, pointer from the saleslady if you are using the stainless steel inner pots.
When the button moves to keep warm (from Cook), immediately switch off the mains. Then leave for 15 minutes, then open the lid and fluff out the rice.

:hi5:

This tip really does work cuz thats what I do too.

Sometimes, i don't even wait past 5 mins before fluffing out the rice though :smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 pm

No frills rice cooker?

TEFAL

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop