Christmas feasting at home

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Christmas feasting at home

Postby Admummy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Anyone of u tried the Christmas combo set from supermarket like Giant, Cold storage, ntuc, shop & safe? Usually, the set comes with turkey (or chicken, honey baked ham, susages..price ranging from $40 to $100 over depending on the size of bird and the combi of ur set..some throw in cooler bag, sparkling juice or drinks for early orders..

Wonder if they taste ok? If not wrong, still need to bake the food..Is it difficult to cook them?

I am seriously considering taking one set..personally I find dinning outside on Christmas is ver "headache" crowds everwhere, no parking lot and imaging I have to lug 3 kids out...

What are ur plans for Christmas? Can share some tips or easy to prepare Christmas food so that all can enjoy a quiet and homely dinner without costing a bomb?

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Christmas feasting at home

Postby Riekko » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi ad mummy,

I tried both Xmas turkey set fm NTUc & cold storage and I still prefer cold storage. Yes you still need to cook the turkey using the oven, just follow the instruction given, it's not too difficult :)

Sometimes I also prepared some mushroom soup (Campbell), potato salad, sandwich for my Xmas party :) depends wad kind of food u like to hv.... Western style or Chinese style..hee

Riekko
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Admummy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Reikko, thks for replying! I think western will be better, more Christmasy feel...ur add-ons are so yummy think kids will drool with Campbell! Think I will order some sushi plus some pastries/sandwiches from Delifrance...

But guess still have to whip up some Chinese dishes for the in-laws (maybe add pork ribs)judging from pic, I think cold storage set looks more appealing too but not sure if they provide sauces to go with the set? If not, will it be too "dry"?

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Riekko » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Admummy,

you can also consider cooking Bolognese spaghetti or pasta with spinach & bacon (ham also can) for your in laws as well as children too :) Yummy!!!

As u r preparing western style of xmas, must well all in western way rite? hee..old folks can also try yr spaghetti/pasta...if u need simple recipes, i can email u ..hee..

This year, my xmas party will be western too!..but instead of turkey, i'm doing roasted chicken as most of my relatives perfer it...it's more tender than turkey! lol
guess i hv to eat turkey elsewhere alone! lol...

i'm hvg two xmas party this year on 23 & 24 dec...as 23 dec is for my son's childcare frens with their mummies, kind of gathering for kids & mummies before they are heading to different primary schools next year!...so it's going to be a potluck party ...but i will prepare mini kueh kueh, agar-agar, curry chicken & fried bee hoon for the guests...then 24 dec is for my own family where every year they will celebrate xmas at my place :P

I hope you too will have a fun & enjoyable xmas celebration with your loved ones :P....

Riekko
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jce » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

The extended family has a get-together Christmas party together. My sis-in-law roasts the turkey yearly and she experiments with different stuffings and marinates each year. She's very good at it :) We chip in with the other stuff - log cake, salad, ham, soup. I either opt for the log cake (which I buy from somewhere) or soup ("classy" mushroom soup using various types of "classy" mushrooms). This year I am opting for log cake. Will either get it from Haegen Dazs or Canele. Or maybe Pave (East Coast Rd) but I think they are not making in the form of a log. I like their choc and raspberry cake.

Last year I had a mini post-Christmas party on 26th using my sis-in-law's leftover turkey. I cooked porridge with it and added carrots, peas etc. I also cooked thai green curry spaghetti and thai style pork patties, so a mix of east and west.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jeestan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 pm

I find it difficult to get turkey done without it being overdry. Any suggestions?

jeestan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hsm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:57 pm

I had the same question too! ;) Usually we invite friends to gather at our house for Christmas party.. last year I ordered from Cold Storage - the usual ham, sushi platter, marshmallow christmas tree (this is really nice!) and the roast beef i think.. not too bad. then I will do fried rice & chicken wings etc..

this year i'm thinking to order a Christmas party set from Kriston.. not sure if it's good.

hsm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I tried from NTUC, Giant and Cold Storage. All not good. The turkey comes cold so you have to heat it up somehow. Stuffing is usually the normal breadcrumbs and sausage and it's not very yummy. I have given up on ordering turkeys or even cooking one myself. We usually get a large jumbo chicken if we are in the mood for roasted poultry.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EatNonStop » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:13 pm

My Christmas celebration normally at my Sis house. Typically I will bake Ginger breadman or made chocolate truffles days b4 the season. Christmas eve will prepare ham/cheese mini puffs, a logcake or Christmas brownies. This year I will try sherperd pies or chicken pies :)

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:17 pm

jeestan wrote:I find it difficult to get turkey done without it being overdry. Any suggestions?

Some cooks suggest putting the bird on a rack, then have a dish filled with water at the bottom to keep the oven damp. Or do a really slow roast.
Last edited by cherrygal on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop