Concerns over Food Preservatives and Colours

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Concerns over Food Preservatives and Colours

Postby mommycaramel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

Hi parents!

Are food preservatives, flavourings and colours an important issue to you?

I recently met a mother who is a very healthy eater, and found out about some studies done on food preservatives and its effects on children. So I was just interested to know how concerned are other parents about their kids' diets and the kind of snacks they like to eat.

Thank you :)

mommycaramel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Concerns over Food Preservatives and Colours

Postby munchkukie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 am

Hi mommycaramel,

With food at home, I tried to keep the food as natural as possible. I do not like my kids to eat too much of artificial flavours/colours. I do read the labels before I buy stuff from the supermarket. I am more lax when it comes to outside food though.

munchkukie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Yup, I always try to avoid overly colourful food items eg. ang ku kueh, 9-layer steamed kueh, cupcakes with icing etc. I don't even eat the "red dot" on steamed pork pau. If I must drink soft drinks, I will choose 7-UP instead of Fanta Grape / Coke.

Always admired the old nonyas who would try to use natural ingredients to colour their kueh kueh - pandan juice for green and bluepea flower for the distinctive purplish blue tint.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommycaramel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi munchkukie and cherrygal,

Thanks for sharing! It's good to know that there are parents out there who are taking steps to ensuring that food isn't overly artificial. I was sent this link about ice cream which took an hour to melt (http://www.karrifamilyclinic.com.sg/201 ... -that.html) - that's a scary thought!!

Do your kids often ask for junk food and sweets though? Unfortunately, a lot of the "very yummy" food (to the kids, at least!) are full of salt or sugar.

mommycaramel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ichigokun » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm

My mother doesn't allow me to eat anything that contains MSG, for example instant noodles. She will let me drink Sprite instead of Coke. Besides, coke and Pepsi are rated cancer-causing as of late. More so a reason to not drink coke and Pepsi.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby munchkukie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Mommycaramel,

Kids being kids would be very attracted to colours and nice packaging. I bought yummy earth organics lollipops for them but they loves mentos and fruit plus sweets. I try not to encourage them to take in the first place e.g temples usually have these sweets. The elder dd is more obedient but the younger dd is often hard to persuade. Either have to use the carrot or stick method.

munchkukie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby HAPPYH » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

mommycaramel wrote:Hi munchkukie and cherrygal,

Thanks for sharing! It's good to know that there are parents out there who are taking steps to ensuring that food isn't overly artificial. I was sent this link about ice cream which took an hour to melt (http://www.karrifamilyclinic.com.sg/201 ... -that.html) - that's a scary thought!!

Do your kids often ask for junk food and sweets though? Unfortunately, a lot of the "very yummy" food (to the kids, at least!) are full of salt or sugar.

Thank you for sharing the link. I do avoid coloured food and my DD is ok with it. But pepsi and coke - I must work on this.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby munchkukie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Coke is addictive! I drank some on Saturday and till now, I have cravings for it on and off. I have to stop myself fr thinking of it.

munchkukie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ichigokun » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm

munchkukie wrote:Coke is addictive! I drank some on Saturday and till now, I have cravings for it on and off. I have to stop myself fr thinking of it.

Coke has some chemical substance that causes cancer. I'm officially banning myself off coke. :boogie:

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I try as much as possible not to let my kids take food with artificial colouring, flavour and preservatives.

They don't take twisties or similar food.

As for soft drinks very little. Only lax during CNY but no carbonated drinks. Carbonated drinks only on very special occasions. Now I'm stricter with the news abt coke and Pepsi.

Guess I have to cut down on pokka green tea and go with snapple instead.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop