Fried Bee Hoon

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Fried Bee Hoon

Postby shinri » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

My office canteen downstairs used to sell white coloured fried bee hoon for breakfast.
Very yummy and lots of ingredients inside for just $1+.
Served with a dollop of their homemade chilli.. :drool:
But now the stall gone already and I'm suffering the withdrawal symptoms :cry:

Thinking of cooking my own, any recipes to share?
Much prefer those white bee hoon (no dark soy sauce)

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Yah, pls share the recipes. Pls also share your tips in keeping the beehoon in long strands. Dunno why my beehoon always breaks up into small strands even though I buy the chilli brand.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 pm

shinri wrote:My office canteen downstairs used to sell white coloured fried bee hoon for breakfast.
Very yummy and lots of ingredients inside for just $1+.
Served with a dollop of their homemade chilli.. :drool:
But now the stall gone already and I'm suffering the withdrawal symptoms :cry:


A good version of white fried beehoon is served at the Nonya popiah stall in Thomson Plaza kopitiam. Not so cheap though but it's quite good.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby Ichigokun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:31 pm

@shinri

You might want to try a vegetarian fried bee hoon stall at Mayflower Food Centre (near Ang Mo Kio Block 159).

There's a market there and in the market's warm cooked food section there is a Vegetarian Bee Hoon stall.

Look out for the Chinese words 素 and 斋 (which both mean vegetarian)

You can order a packet at about $2++.

The ingredients include mock meat, cabbage, WHITE fried bee Hoon, fried beancurd skin (fried tow kee), green chili and some pound red chilli.

The main thing is the fried beancurd skin. IT'S VERY FRAGRANT AND SUPER CRISPY. (my favorite!!) I usually just say I don't want the mock meat and change them to fried beancurd skin.

The fried beancurd skin really gives texture to the bee Hoon. It keeps me going and patronizing their stall again and again.

Be warned though. Sometimes the queue is SUPER long. You have to queue up to 20 minutes sometimes to get your bee Hoon.

But it's worth it :) Trust me.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby iFirefly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Ichigokun wrote:@shinri

You might want to try a vegetarian fried bee hoon stall at Mayflower Food Centre (near Ang Mo Kio Block 159).

There's a market there and in the market's warm cooked food section there is a Vegetarian Bee Hoon stall.

Look out for the Chinese words 素 and 斋 (which both mean vegetarian)

You can order a packet at about $2++.

The ingredients include mock meat, cabbage, WHITE fried bee Hoon, fried beancurd skin (fried tow kee), green chili and some pound red chilli.

The main thing is the fried beancurd skin. IT'S VERY FRAGRANT AND SUPER CRISPY. (my favorite!!) I usually just say I don't want the mock meat and change them to fried beancurd skin.

The fried beancurd skin really gives texture to the bee Hoon. It keeps me going and patronizing their stall again and again.

Be warned though. Sometimes the queue is SUPER long. You have to queue up to 20 minutes sometimes to get your bee Hoon.

But it's worth it :) Trust me.


Aiyo, ichigokun, you seem to know everything.. from history of Korea & China, to TCM herbs & 'grow-tall' soups, to now fried beehoon.. :wink: :smile:

Thanks for your recommendation.. I will bring my 2 boys to try it, as they love fried WHITE beehoon, with LOTS OF fried beancurd skin too! :hi5:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am
Total Likes: 95



Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby osim » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 am

cherrygal wrote:Yah, pls share the recipes. Pls also share your tips in keeping the beehoon in long strands. Dunno why my beehoon always breaks up into small strands even though I buy the chilli brand.


Could you be stirring too much that's why your bee hoon breaks. You can not pour sauce into dry bee hoon. You have to boil bee hoon in suitable amount of water and at the same time pour in all the sauces or seasoning you want to use. The bee Hoon will soak up the sauce evenly this way and you no need to stir so much.

My family loves my fried bee hoon. The texture is good and not oily. I use black rice bee Hoon from zenxin. It's more nutritious and I fry it using extra virgin olive oil. You can add charsiew or Chinese sausage, shredded aggs. I usually add a lot a lot of vege, julienned carrots, sprouts, or any other type you like.

BTW, black rice bee hoon is not black, the colour is actually a nice reddish chocolate brown. I also recommend eating black rice. Cook it into porridge and it has a pulut hitam fragrance. Very nutritious.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby iFirefly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 am

osim wrote:
cherrygal wrote:Yah, pls share the recipes. Pls also share your tips in keeping the beehoon in long strands. Dunno why my beehoon always breaks up into small strands even though I buy the chilli brand.


Could you be stirring too much that's why your bee hoon breaks. You can not pour sauce into dry bee hoon. You have to boil bee hoon in suitable amount of water and at the same time pour in all the sauces or seasoning you want to use. The bee Hoon will soak up the sauce evenly this way and you no need to stir so much.

My family loves my fried bee hoon. The texture is good and not oily. I use black rice bee Hoon from zenxin. It's more nutritious and I fry it using extra virgin olive oil. You can add charsiew or Chinese sausage, shredded aggs. I usually add a lot a lot of vege, julienned carrots, sprouts, or any other type you like.

BTW, black rice bee hoon is not black, the colour is actually a nice reddish chocolate brown. I also recommend eating black rice. Cook it into porridge and it has a pulut hitam fragrance. Very nutritious.


I am getting hungry, just by reading your post, osim... :drool:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am
Total Likes: 95


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby shinri » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

Ok bought the ingredients already.. dried mushrooms, carrot, fishcake, egg.. think it's quite basic.
Shall try to cook today, see how it goes. *keeping fingers crossed*

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby shinri » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:10 am

Oh usually I buy the bee hoon for breakfast, the start of another working day.
Don't think I'll go to other places to buy since not near my office..

My colleague shared that need to cut the bee hoon before cooking otherwise when stirring, the ingredients will all fall to the bottom instead of being embedded inside the bee hoon.

@osim
Eh, pouring sauce into the bee hoon will not make it too wet?
I thinking of just frying it with oil, garlic and just the ingredients and of course wee bit of seasoning as well.

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Fried Bee Hoon

Postby linden2000 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:36 pm

shinri wrote:Oh usually I buy the bee hoon for breakfast, the start of another working day.
Don't think I'll go to other places to buy since not near my office..

My colleague shared that need to cut the bee hoon before cooking otherwise when stirring, the ingredients will all fall to the bottom instead of being embedded inside the bee hoon.

@osim
Eh, pouring sauce into the bee hoon will not make it too wet?
I thinking of just frying it with oil, garlic and just the ingredients and of course wee bit of seasoning as well.


Hi. Adding water will ensure the seasoning is even throughout beehoon. Otherwise you get patches of it on the beehoon. Fry the beehoon until the moisture disappears. For ingredients like egg, can fry separately n put aside and add after the beehoon is dry.

I usually add chicken broth instead of water but since broth already contains salt, need to season to taste depending on how salty you like your food.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Tuckshop