Japanese Ingredients .. where to buy them cheap?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Japanese Ingredients .. where to buy them cheap?

Postby JellyT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I like Jap food but the ingredients are so expensive. Does anyone know where to buy Jap ingredients that are easy on the pocket? Ingredients such as:

- Soba noodles, including cha soba (super ex!)
- Mirin Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Bulldog Sauce
- Ponzu sauce

I just went Cold Storage to buy the above and the bill came up to > $50! Surely, there must be a cheaper avenue for such ingredients. Any parents out there can share?

JellyT
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Japanese Ingredients .. where to buy them cheap?

Postby JellyT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Oh, looking for seaweed too. I love wakame and hijiki! I know Daiso has them but other than that, got other places?

JellyT
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kitty2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

JellyT wrote:I like Jap food but the ingredients are so expensive. Does anyone know where to buy Jap ingredients that are easy on the pocket? Ingredients such as:

- Mirin Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Bulldog Sauce
- Ponzu sauce

I just went Cold Storage to buy the above and the bill came up to > $50! Surely, there must be a cheaper avenue for such ingredients. Any parents out there can share?

How about Daiso?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:15 pm

You can try NTUC Marine Parade, they have a section dedicated to Jap products.

Or sakuraya in parkway parade basement.

Not sure of whether their prices will be competitive. If you like, you can list the exact products that you are looking for, and I can check the prices for you next time I am there.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby JellyT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh sorry I wasnt clear. I meant places other than supermarkets such as NTUC, Cold Storage .. and Daiso.

Does anyone know of any wholesaler? Something like Fassler type? Don't tell me all the Japanese buy their stuff from supermarkets, and Meidi-Ya (super ex)?

JellyT
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mrsbongz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 am

Actually i think most japanese buy fr meidiya or isetan supermarkets.. Fresh n convenient.. Always see alot of them at these places.. Daiso has cheaper ones, so does japan home. But the quality is definitely not as good.

I usually buy when there is sale, esp at isetan... Or follow recipes for the sauces..

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Divamama » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

I also frequent Meidi-ya as we go there every weekend. You may be surprised, some of the products there are cheaper than the very same ones at Cold Storage. Not sure about wholesalers though.

Divamama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carebear » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 am

I go to Yamakawa in Tampines One.
Some of the things there are cheaper than the supermarkets eg the instant spaghetti sauce and soba noodles.
There is another one ( name of shop.. i dunno) at the basement of I12 katong. I like their instant Tonkotsu ramen.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dasalo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm

JellyT wrote:I like Jap food but the ingredients are so expensive. Does anyone know where to buy Jap ingredients that are easy on the pocket? Ingredients such as:

- Mirin Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Bulldog Sauce
- Ponzu sauce

All the ingredients that you've mentioned above are available at Daiso except for Mirin.

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tuckshop