Simple Recipes to Share

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Given a choice (if you have the time and energy), would you cook for your family?

Yes, would love to, I love cooking.
55%
Yes, but don't know how to cook.
21%
No, it's cheaper to eat out.
2%
No, nobody would dare to take the first bite.
3%
No, I'm too lazy too cook
3%
I already cook for my family everyday lah.
16%

Total votes : 100

Simple Recipes to Share

Postby thebusybee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm thinking since we have a dedicated section on food...yum...yum...

Shall we share some simple recipes here?

I'm from traditional family, 'forced' to help up in the kitchen since young. But turned out not so bad: sis and me love cooking, especially sharing with loved ones.

I'm yet to do up some simple recipes with pictures-when free...so busy...busy..

Care to start, anyone?

p/s 1st time starting a thread, 请多多指教! :wink:

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunflower » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Err...don't know which one to vote. Eating out may not be cheaper. I know how to cook simple meals and love to eat home cooked food but dislike cooking. :P
Last edited by sunflower on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Hmm...i love to eat but never have a chance to really cook. Born youngest in the family so always ended up with washing dishes duties. When I got married, i make sure I get a maid who cooks well...and being a full time working mom, again no chance to find out whether I have the talent or not! But every now and then, I look out for recipes for my maid to try out..She is quite a good cook. Here is a simple dish that we (even my fussy dd) love by my maid. Is to be eaten with plain white porridge :

a) Cut generous portion small onion....fry in oil until brown, then scoop it out
b) using the same oil, fry the small white ikan bilis (what's it call?) about 2 mins (quite easily cooked)
c) add a little water (so that is not dry), sugar and lime
d) add cut small onion above and fry for awhile
e) wa...la..its done

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 pm

westmom wrote:
a) Cut generous portion small onion....fry in oil until brown, then scoop it out
b) using the same oil, fry the small white ikan bilis (silver fish) about 2 mins (quite easily cooked)
c) add a little water (so that is not dry), sugar and lime
d) add cut small onion above and fry for awhile
e) wa...la..its done

If you want, can add in minced pork/chicken in step (a).

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 pm

This is my "don't feel like cooking" dish.

Preparation: 5 to 10 mins, Cooking: 5 mins.
Portion for 2 adults and 2 children (as main dish)

Ingredients: 1 tube of silken tofu, 2 eggs, a pack of enoki mushrooms (cleaned and cut into 1 cm pieces), 4 medium size prawns shelled & cut into small pieces, pepper and light soya sauce to taste, fried shallots (optional).

a) In a porcelain bowl (that can be microwaved or steamed), cracked the eggs, add in pepper and light soya sauce to taste, beat with a fork/chopsticks/whisk till frothy.

b) Cut just a little off the top of the tube of tofu, squeeze the tofu (thus mashing it) into the bowl of egg mix.

c) Add in the enoki mushroom, prawns.

d) Stir the ingredients and mix them well. Cover with heat/microwave safe cling wrap.

e) Steam in a pot or microwave for 5 mins.

Serve it hot with a sprinkle of fried shallot, enjoy.

If you are serving this as a one dish meal, can add in fine shreddered carrots/frozen mixed veg/thinly sliced cabbage for extra veg. Theres sufficient protein in eggs and tofu.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 pm

MLR wrote:....... using the same oil, fry the small white ikan bilis (silver fish) about 2 mins (quite easily cooked)

Ikan Bilis is called "anchovies", right? :?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Anchovies is the "ang moh" version, which is normally salted and canned in oil. In S'pore, theres ikan bilis and the small paler looking cousin the silver fish 银鱼, which are in dried form. The silver fish is also available cooked (steam) version in wet market and NTUC (at the fish cuts section).

Pls help, how to post a pic as part of post?

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm

buds wrote:
MLR wrote:....... using the same oil, fry the small white ikan bilis (silver fish) about 2 mins (quite easily cooked)

Ikan Bilis is called "anchovies", right? :?

Not anchovies, this is the skinny small white kind u can buy from sundry shop.......MLR, silver fish is the "wet type"? Sorry, not a cook...so only can give half past 6 descriptions!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Don't know how to post a pic, so I found a website that has A-Z ingredients list, mostly with pics, so here :

http://www.picsearch.com/info.cgi?q=dri ... hP1WsxgUZ0

Jus go find ikan bilis, silver fish, anchovies and many other ingredients even the prawn paste for making chinese rojak....

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Jennifer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 pm

A simple dish the boys love is stew thin slices of potatoes in dried shrimps/chopped garlic/bits of gingers with soya sauce + oyster sauce diluted with water.

They love potatoes, anything with potatoes is well accepted. A simple baked mashed potato with minced beef + frozen veg,. microwave potato gratin with sausages, potatoes strips with sunny-side-up.

Or steamed minced pork with tong chai, topped with beaten eggs, steamed marinated pork slices.

I found fresh silver fish int he wet mkt recently. Been mixing these with chopped prawns and cooking these in watery porridge. Or use for frying fried rice.

You see, I am not a good cook :wink:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop