How to make kids eat faster?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

How to make kids eat faster?

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics split.]

My boy doesn't like to eat anything...rice,noodle,etc...he eats only teeny weeny bits, 2-3 mouthfuls and then he said he is full...really dunno what to cook...but give him biscuits,sweets, he never say NO. I'm trying very hard t cut down sweets and snacks but he rather goes hungry then to eat more rice, or should I say, normal meal food.:(

Tamarind,

so envy u...sweet kids you have...:)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:39 pm

smurf wrote:My boy doesn't like to eat anything...rice,noodle,etc...he eats only teeny weeny bits, 2-3 mouthfuls and then he said he is full...really dunno what to cook...but give him biscuits,sweets, he never say NO. I'm trying very hard t cut down sweets and snacks but he rather goes hungry then to eat more rice, or should I say, normal meal food.:(

Tamarind,

so envy u...sweet kids you have...:)

smurf,
Actually we still have to feed our boy (almost 5 years old) every meal. He takes so long to finish his food(normally steam fish or chicken which is quite bland), except when we cook Japanese curry or pork with char siew sauce, then he will finish very fast. But we cannot cook those food for him every day.

I don't have a habit of eating sweets and biscuits, so I don't buy even after I have kids. They usually eat bread and jam, or just a bottle of milk for snacks. Once in a while they eat cupcakes that they bake for themselves :wink:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -your-kids
They love their cupcakes !

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm puzzled why kids takes sooooooooo long to finish a meal. my boy hates normal meal food...I need to feed him,else the food can sit on the table for 2 days and it's still there! :stupid:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflower » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:58 pm

smurf wrote:I'm puzzled why kids takes sooooooooo long to finish a meal. my boy hates normal meal food...I need to feed him,else the food can sit on the table for 2 days and it's still there! :stupid:

2 DAYS! :shock: You must be exaggerating! :lol: My DD2 takes a loooong time to eat too, esp if it's bland stuff. :roll: I have no patient and usually multi-task after everyone has finished the meal except her. I'll feed her and at the same time, read a book/mag/newspaper, go computer or do the dishes while waiting for her to chew and swallow, which takes forever! :x

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Cranberry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi smurf & sunflower, I have the same problem with my 3 yo son too. It really makes me :x ! So sometimes I purposely 'starve' him by not giving him snacks so that he will be hungry at dinner time. No choice, must act as bad mummy sometimes or else will have to :stupid: every day.

Cranberry
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby PlayfulFairy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:02 am

Hi there,
My dd2 also takes a long time to chew and swallow her food. I will usually feed her one spoon of food, followed by 1 spoon of soup/water to facilitate her chewing and swallowing. The soup/water helps her to chew/swallow faster... :P

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:12 am

can try bento: colourful; interesting; entice the kid to eat.

i do not have the creativity, time or flair to do such. my ds1 used to be super slow eater, what can i say, i just let him be - when his food gets cold, reheat. when he doesn't eat them, his grandma will feed him supper later on.
he is not his ideal weight, but still healthy.

nowadays (at P1) to get him to eat faster, i let him watch tv (ironically). if he does not eat faster, he gets no tv to go with his dinner. on days when there are no tv, to get him to eat faster, i promise a snack 15-20min after dinner. he knows no snack is allowed after 8pm, so he jolly well finish his food fast so that after the 20min interval, he gets to eat his snack before the 8pm cut off time.

ds2 eats very fast. if he is interested, 10min. if he is not interested, 2 mouthfuls. just give him some other available stuff (bread) or milk feed later - no need to tear our hair out over it. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:16 am

There's nothing better than competition to make a kid finish his/her food fast. My son eats like a snail, while my daughter gobbles her food just so she can finish her food faster than her brother :roll: .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Choke

Postby buds » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 am

My younger girl does that to her sister too, except it wud sometimes lead
to a choking competition instead... :roll: And.... eating messily. :P

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:47 am

My daughter and son are extremely picky eater. Takes a while for me to introduce them to food. When they hate it, they either refuse to eat it or testing my patience & simply eat them slowly. At 1.5 years old, when I send them to childcare, told the teachers about my kids problem, they are nice enough to assist in feeding them, coaxing them to eat. They then feedback which are the food that my kids will try to eat which are the ones that they keep in their mouth & refuse to swallow. My daughter hates to eat so much that there are a few times she fell asleep & bump her head into the plate (eating must be a boring process).

Now that they are bigger, their appetite improves. I think their slowness is due to the fact that they dont enjoy the food. What I notice is that when served things that they dont like, they will eat extremely slowly (can be more than an hour long). If they loves the food, presto, less than 15 minutes they have their own plate washed.

Takes a while for them to develop their taste. At the start, I started with bread with jam, then with cheese, burger (I use butter bread cause it's smaller), chicken (at one point, they dont eat beef nor fish & still hate crustaceans). Make sure the meat are cut into smaller pieces to develop their taste. I usually cook for them what they like & coax them to try the adult food, just a tiny spoon to test if they like mine.

Currently trying to introduce vegetables to them. The easiest one for introduction is cabbage. I tried the mix vege (frozen) and included them as ingredient in fried rice (hence they need to try carrot & long beans). Not very successful but yes they are eating, complaining loudly and eating them slowly.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop