Peanut allergy and moon cake

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Peanut allergy and moon cake

Postby ammonite » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Foodies,

I would like to check if there is peanut oil in moon cakes - the skin and the filling? For both brown and snow skin.

Thanks! :)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Peanut allergy and moon cake

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm

If they are from China, there's a good chance they will have peanut oil. From elsewhere, I'm not sure. The ingredients should be listed on the packaging, though sometimes 'vegetable oil' could include peanut oil too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks simkhoo! The problem is the ingredients are not always listed and the service staff are not very knowledgeable sometimes. The 'veg oil' thing is so vague as well, sigh. I just received a box of snow skin chocolate ganache moon cake and there was no ingredient list. I thought it would be okay until someone told me the paste may contain peanut oil. Maybe I will try to call Raffles Hotel tomorrow and ask again. but would really like to get hold of something that my kid can eat.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm

better not take mooncake if allergy to peanut.. u nv know.. allergy can be serious

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby worldangel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Usually the baked mooncakes will have peanut oil as that is one of the key ingredients to make them more fragrant. Snowskin usually use shortening so might not have peanut oil.

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iggy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Sometimes they dont make the entire moncake in house.eg they get paste from supplier. so it can be really hard to trace even if you ask the chef. No harm asking and if in doubt dont eat

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nicnac » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I signed up my dd for a moon cake making workshop last year. Just before stepping into class, I recalled that peanut oil is usually used in making the lotus paste.. So I checked with the trainer if she'd used peanut oil.. True enough, peanut oil used in the paste.. I told the teacher if my dd feels ok then let her do, else just let her watch. Trainer gave my dd gloves to work with. I left but returned to check 1/2hr later.. My dd was sitting there watching and looked uncomfortable. Apparently, the peanut smell made her sick, so I took her out of the class.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 pm

there are many goodies that use peanut oil... most dun specify, cos we are not like US.. no choice... the allergy may worsen if u dun take gd care.. so dun take the risk...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Yes, even at hawker stalls or restaurants, sometimes use peanut oil. We had crispy noodles once at a restaurant and after one bite, my dd felt sick..

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:18 am

:thankyou: wonderful mummies! :) So nice to find so many mums with allergic kids so easily!! haha! :)

Sigh, no mooncakes then, poor boy. :sad:

Since we all have peanut-allergic kids, care to share what Asian restaurants/ food are safe for them? (fish/seafood is also off-limits for ds)

Also, I have always wondered if I had such bad morning sickness (actually was like round the clock sickness) when I was pregnant with this kid because he is allergic?? I could not walk pass any hawker center or eat any Chinese food without feeling nauseous. Did any of you have similar experience?

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop