Stainless Steel Rice Cooker

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Stainless Steel Rice Cooker

Postby Sweet Joy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has used a stainless steel rice cooker before. I wonder if the rice is cooked better and whether the rice will stick to the base. I am tired of replacing rice cookers when the non-stick coating comes off. Any good rice cooker to recommend? Thanks in advance.

Sweet Joy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Stainless Steel Rice Cooker

Postby Hershey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am

Hi, I am using the Buffalo Stainless Steel rice cooker, its fantastic. No more wastage of rice and it tastes good. Just off the cooker when cooking is done. Leave it for 10mins and rice will not stick at all. Great for cooking cabbage rice etc. Previously I was using the coated rice cooker and the coating always peel off after a while. Now with the stainless steel cooker, I have no more worries. Its expensive but worth it.

Hershey
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sparks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I am also using Buffalo one after recommendations from various forums. I find the rice more fluffy & fragrant using this one (I was using philips for a long time). Even my mom who pops by to eat with us occasionally liked the rice. However, I still have problems with rice sticking to the base but it's a minor issue to me. My greater concern is with consumption of non-stick teflon materials over a long term. For that reason, I switch to s/s.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

er...I thought after the rice is cooked, you switch off the power and let it cool for maybe 20 mins or so...and the rice will not stick to the pot.

It works even when I was having the old alu type cooker.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sweet Joy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Thank you so much for your responses. I have decided try out this Buffalo stainless steel rice cooker after your comments. I share the same concerns about the non-stick coating peeling off too.

By the way, has anyone tried Song Cho stainless steel rice cooker?

Sweet Joy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kiasucy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

bought the Buffalo stainless steel rice cooker from OG but within a year spoil.

Kiasucy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mommylow » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I stop using Teflon coated rice cookers years ago as the non-stick coating is cancer causing when used in the long run. Switching to buffalo brand stainless steel inner pot is a good alternative but the pots are rather expensive. It's an investment though.

I cook my rice using my stainless steel saucepan over the gas stove. It works just as beautifully. No rice crust too if timing is perfect. But you need to watch the fire so the rice doesn't get burnt. Once you master the technique it will be a breeze. My friend swears cooking rice in a clay pot is the best option as it doesn't leave behind a layer of rice crust.

mommylow
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lim72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Another alternative and your rice won't get burnt is to steam it over a stainless steel bowl.You just need to make sure the steaming water in the wok won't dry up. It takes about 25-30mins to steam the rice.

lim72
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mommylow » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm

lim72 wrote:Another alternative and your rice won't get burnt is to steam it over a stainless steel bowl.You just need to make sure the steaming water in the wok won't dry up. It takes about 25-30mins to steam the rice.

If I am not wrong, steaming rice uses more gas as you have to keep the water boiling throughout the 30 mins or so. Cooking rice over the gas stove using very small flame till rice is cooked is more energy saving.

mommylow
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sweet Joy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Kiasucy wrote:bought the Buffalo stainless steel rice cooker from OG but within a year spoil.

The pot is spoilt? Or is it electrical issues?

Sweet Joy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop