Christmas Party at home ...Need help!!!

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Christmas Party at home ...Need help!!!

Postby temjin68 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Hello
Want to order Turkey for this Christmas. Anyone know where to order delicious turkey but not too expensive....

I am planning a small party for 8 adults and 6 children.....anyone can share idea what to cook for them?

thinking of Fruit salad...any one know how to make one that children will love.

temjin68
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Christmas Party at home ...Need help!!!

Postby peapot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:53 pm

I saw in giant that sells ham at $42 for half kg.

For fruit salad, buy canned fruits. Discard the syrup and toss in some dry cut apricots or raisin. Add some mayonises, cream and cheddar cheeses. Easy to make. Buy mini fruit tarts from bakery shop. If u know how to make, do it one day before to save time.

Do u have air fryer or deep fryer? Fry some wings or marinade with honey and oyster sauce and baked them in oven.

Make salsa sauce and buy tortilla chips from NTUC.

Or marinade shrimps wrap with wanton and deep fry it.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby temjin68 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:28 pm

[quote="peapot"]I saw in giant that sells ham at $42 for half kg.

For fruit salad, buy canned fruits. Discard the syrup and toss in some dry cut apricots or raisin. Add some mayonises, cream and cheddar cheeses. Easy to make. Buy mini fruit tarts from bakery shop. If u know how to make, do it one day before to save time.

Do u have air fryer or deep fryer? Fry some wings or marinade with honey and oyster sauce and baked them in oven.

Make salsa sauce and buy tortilla chips from NTUC.

Or marinade shrimps wrap with wanton and deep fry it.[/q

Thank you peapot. I do not have The air fryer:-(crystal
Probably will make this an excuse and ask my hubby to buy one

temjin68
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dora1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I ordered turkey once, and we had 10 adults. Totally cannot finish...... so I suggest if its not a must to order a whole turkey, look for alternatives, like turkey breast (I saw in NTUC the other day) and roast it yourself? Or just a good old roast chicken is also ok. So that you can have other dishes and not turkey only.
Steam baby carrots and broccoli, or a salad?
You would need a carbo as well. Potato salad, boiled baby potatoes
Or if you need rice, can do a buttered raisin rice.
Appetizers can be sausage platter, or Soup? I normally just use canned soup. I think campbell has a low fat low sodium range.
Fruit salad can just chop up fresh fruits like honey dew, kiwi, strawberry, grapes. Then add yoghurt and a bit of honey. Very healthy!

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Appetizers :
baked portobello mushrooms topped with mozarella,
or bacon wrapped baby asparagus/golden mushrooms
or pizza toast (normal bread, spread some pasta sauce, topped with ham & pineapple cubes and cheese and baked)
or cheese fondue with bread/vege platter

Carbo :
Potato salad or
mash potato with roasted garlic or
pasta/foccacia with marinara sauce

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby temjin68 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Funz wrote:Appetizers :
baked portobello mushrooms topped with mozarella,
or bacon wrapped baby asparagus/golden mushrooms
or pizza toast (normal bread, spread some pasta sauce, topped with ham & pineapple cubes and cheese and baked)
or cheese fondue with bread/vege platter

Carbo :
Potato salad or
mash potato with roasted garlic or
pasta/foccacia with marinara sauce

Hi Funx
Wow, love your menu
How do you make all these? Can teach me? I seldom cook...

temjin68
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Funz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:34 pm

For the mushrooms, you will need baby portobellos and shredded mozzarella cheese, any maybe some chopped bacon bits. Place the mushrooms gill side up and put some cheese and bacon in them. Pop them in the oven and bake till the cheese melts. You can choose to bake a bit longer until the cheese turns slightly golden brown if you prefer.

Bacon wrapped baby asparagus/golden mushrooms. If using asparagus, just blanch it lightly in water. Cut into desired size, grab a few stalks and wrap the bacon round it. Fry it in a pan till the bacon is brown. No need to add any oil.

Cheese fondue. I will normally use shredded cheddar. Add some apple juice and zap it in the microwave to melt the cheese. Adjust the thickness according to your preference by adding more cheese or juice. You can use beer instead of apple juice but since kids are eating, apple juice will be a better choice. Use a fondue pot and light tealight candles under it to keep the cheese warm. Choose your fave veg to dip. Carrots, celery, cucumber, cooked broccoli or potato. You can have plain/herbed bread and nacho chips as well.

Potato salad, boil potato in a pot of water with some salt. Skin on or off, your choice. For dressing, you can choose, mayo/ranch/sour cream/yoghurt. Since you have bacon, you can brown some bacon and add to the salad along with some chopped spring onions, pepper & salt. But if you don't want everything to be so bacony, maybe you want to try adding tuna instead. Discard the oil or brine in the tuna, chop up some white onions, and spring onions, add a dash of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and toss. To make it interesting, add some green apples or you can add some wasabe in the dressing.

Mash potato. Get whole cloves of garlic, cut the whole cloves into halves. Pop them in the toaster/oven and let them roast till soft and brown. You can easily squeeze the garlic out from the peel once it is done. Boil the potatoes. Strain away the water once boiled. Add the garlic, salt, pepper & butter and mash until smooth.

Marinara sauce. Buy ready pasta sauce, I usually get Preggo's traditional sauce. Your choice of seafood. Mussels, clams, prawns, squid. Chop some garlic, and white onions, saute them till fragrant, add your seafood and fry till they are about 1/2 cooked. Add the pasta sauce and simmer until the seafood is cooked through, lastly add some chopped basil leaves and salt, pepper to taste. Boil some penne in salted water, when cooked, toss them in some olive oil. Guests just have to add the sauce to the pasta if they want. Or cut up some herbed bread for them to dip into the sauce.

I hope the above helps. I don't have exact measurements for everything as I cook using estimations and it really depends on taste preference. But these dishes are easy enough to handle with minimal fuss.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dora1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 am

Temjin68

You mentioned that you seldom cook, do you have a big oven at home? The reason I am asking is because many donkey years ago, when I 1st attempted to host a christmas party, I also ordered a turkey from carrefour. I only realised that it comes refridgerated when I collected it. You'll need a big enough oven to warm it up. At that time, I only have a small little oven, so i had to chop up my turkey into many small pieces to put warm up - a near disaster christmas party! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've come to realise that all the turkeys from supermarkets (NTUC, cold storage etc) all come refridgerated. If you don't have a big oven, you can consider ordering from caterers. I ordered once from Kriston many moons ago. It came piping hot and it was very nice. Sadly I think Kriston has closed down. But I'm sure there are other nice caterers around that can deliver piping hot turkeys. :smile:

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 am

It depends on preference. I do not bother to heat up the turkey. I just leave it out for about an hour or so before the party and serve it at room temp. No point heating it up since by the time the guests get to the turkey, it will not be warm.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am

Funz wrote:It depends on preference. I do not bother to heat up the turkey. I just leave it out for about an hour or so before the party and serve it at room temp. No point heating it up since by the time the guests get to the turkey, it will not be warm.

It also depends on who you are inviting to the party, as in, how sensitive their stomachs are. If there are elderly people or very young children, it may be safer to heat the turkey up to over 60-70C so that the time it is at room temperature is shorter to limit bacteria growth. For normal healthy people, not heating it up is probably OK, but my husband suffers from IBS and not heating up a chilled bird would certainly give him trouble.

Besides potato salad or mashed potato, the other staple at my family Christmas parties is garlic bread. I used to make the garlic spread myself but you can buy ready-made ones now. If you have the 'must eat rice' type of person coming, have some plain or fried rice handy. And also desserts - fruit cake, ice cream, mince pies etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop