Lobster - Western and Chinese style

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Lobster - Western and Chinese style

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi, any recommedation for places to eat lobster ? It can be either Western or Chinese style. Roughly how much would be the price ? Tks

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:29 pm

for my wife's birthday a few years ago, we had lobster at Long Beach Seafood, East Coast.

The lobster is a small one....really small. So had the meat sashimi, or else cooking it will shrink further lol. The head was used to cook stock which was used to cook noodles. Tastes very good.

Costs $120+ if i didn't remember wrongly. Very exp for 2 tablespoons of meat hehe. Maybe because it's not frozen lobster, but live lobster.

coincidentally, tonight im going to the fishery port, hopefully there'll be lobster to buy, then i'll show u guys how i cook it hehe

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:02 pm

hi skunk, any other more convenient place to buy fresh lobster ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:03 pm

A friend recommend me Chin Huat Seafood at sunset way. But I cannot find much recent reviews. Anybody has experience to share more ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:06 pm

skunk wrote:coincidentally, tonight im going to the fishery port, hopefully there'll be lobster to buy, then i'll show u guys how i cook it hehe

Hey skunk, where's this fishery port and what time do they open? I suppose you can get live seafood there? What are the prices like?

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BigDevil » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:20 pm

daisyt wrote:hi skunk, any other more convenient place to buy fresh lobster ?

You can buy fresh seafood from Unique (http://www.uniqueseafood.com/index.html) at Turf City. They should have lobster there as well, but best to give them a call first. They are also having ongoing promo of 50% off on weekdays, and 30% off on weekends.

For the seafood you purchased, you can choose to have them at one of the restaurants, or just bring them home to prepare them yourselves.

When I was studying in US, the way lobster was prepared was simply throw them into a big pot of boiling water until they are cooked. Serve the whole lobster with a small bowl of melted butter (for dipping). *yum* :drool:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby skunk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:47 pm

cmm wrote:Hey skunk, where's this fishery port and what time do they open? I suppose you can get live seafood there? What are the prices like?

never been there before, tonight first time, going with a friend.....going at 2am before all the stuff gets purchased by the restaurants....i think it's very cheap, at wholesale price.

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 pm

skunk wrote: never been there before, tonight first time, going with a friend.....going at 2am before all the stuff gets purchased by the restaurants....i think it's very cheap, at wholesale price.

Are you going to the Senoko or the Jurong one? Need to bring ID along, also bring along ice-box and lay newspaper in the car trunk.

Goes there yearly for CNY eve's dinner shopping.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby skunk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:49 am

MLR wrote:Are you going to the Senoko or the Jurong one? Need to bring ID along, also bring along ice-box and lay newspaper in the car trunk.

Goes there yearly for CNY eve's dinner shopping.

Just came back. It's the Senoko one.

Bought lobsters at $30 per kg. Crayfish for $10 per kg. Will post cooked version later hehe

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 am

hi skunk, how big is the lobster ? $30 per kg, about the same price in Seng Siong Woodlands. I have seen it quite some time back, don't know if still the same price now.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop