Seafood hotpot!

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Seafood hotpot!

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 am

I need a recipe for seafood hotpot. Please share!

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Seafood hotpot!

Postby Harlequin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

If you like tomyum soup base can use the ready mix pack from supermarket.
If you like clear soup base then the usual stock is fine, but no chicken stock cos I feel that chicken don't taste well when mixed with seafood. I usually use Ikan bilis stock.

Silver promfret fish.
Yam, cut into strips or cubes, deep fried.
Veggies and mushrooms, any type any amount, I use tang-orh, pei-chai and shiitake mushroom.
Quail eggs, hardboiled and shelled.
Glass noodles.

Fresh milk is optional, if you like the creamier soup taste.

Bon appetite!

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 am

Oh, forgot about the crabs, prawns, scallop and abalone.
Crabs is better to use the Teochew cold crabs which we called "Chi" cos it's less fishy, blanch with boiling water before adding into the hotpot.
I don't use prawns or scallop.
Thin slice canned abalone, as prolong cooking may harden the abalone.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am

oooh thanks for sharing! My dad asked for hokkaido scallops - apparently cold storage sells. is that any good?

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am

toddles wrote:oooh thanks for sharing! My dad asked for hokkaido scallops - apparently cold storage sells. is that any good?

Yes, Hokkaido's scallops are lovely, "silky" and not fishy. Try to buy the fresh ones if you can. If it's the frozen ones, the thawing part is a bit troublesome, those were rapid-frozen with liquid nitrogen (or similar food grade freezing agents); I usually leave them in the refrigerator to thaw slowly, may take up to 24hrs for a complete thaw. I blanch the scallops with boiling water before adding to the hotpot.

Once in a while, I use cuttlefish (fresh cuttlefish like the Yong tow fu type) for hotpot too, shiok!

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 am

Harlequin wrote:
toddles wrote:oooh thanks for sharing! My dad asked for hokkaido scallops - apparently cold storage sells. is that any good?

Yes, Hokkaido's scallops are lovely, "silky" and not fishy. Try to buy the fresh ones if you can. If it's the frozen ones, the thawing part is a bit troublesome, those were rapid-frozen with liquid nitrogen (or similar food grade freezing agents); I usually leave them in the refrigerator to thaw slowly, may take up to 24hrs for a complete thaw. I blanch the scallops with boiling water before adding to the hotpot.

Once in a while, I use cuttlefish (fresh cuttlefish like the Yong tow fu type) for hotpot too, shiok!

yong tau foo cuttlefish aren't fresh ones...they are actually dreid cuttlefish soaked in 'soda water' to make them soft again.

BTW, you can flavour the soup with Japanese kombu seaweed and dried scallop.
Last edited by Nebbermind on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am

We do use chicken bones for the stock. And we will add fried ti po (flat fish thingy) and dried scallops. For the stuff that goes into the steamboat

Garoupa (usually bought whole and filleted)
Fish maw (mum will usually dry and fry/bake our own)
Sea Cucumber
Fishballs
Sotong Balls
Fresh sotong
Abalone
clams
Prawns
Scallops
Golden mushrooms
Wongbok
silky tofu

Most times the guys cannot go without red meat so we will have shabu pork or beef. And also pig liver and kidney.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for sharing!

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Han Seo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Try not to eat the yong tau foo cuttlefish too much. My friend's father used to supply the cuttlefish to yong tau foo stalls. He said you wouldn't want to eat it if you see the chemicals used to soak the cuttlefish.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Harlequin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Harlequin wrote:

yong tau foo cuttlefish aren't fresh ones...they are actually dreid cuttlefish soaked in 'soda water' to make them soft again.

BTW, you can flavour the soup with Japanese kombu seaweed and dried scallop.

Oh, really.... I thought they are fresh :slapshead:

Very tired of kombu already, never had anything more than the Kombu-made-soup-stock in my life. In Japan, all stock are made with kombu, a plenty of it. :faint:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop