Sashimi

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Sashimi

Postby smurf » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Does your child likes sashimi? my 4.5 year old boy likes it very much. his favourite food.but Im not sure if a child so young can take raw food??

do Japanese kids eat raw fish?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kuzco » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am

Oooh...my son's favourite. He started eating sashimi when he was around that age or even younger. I can't remember. But I do remember giving him small pieces at first (he loves to eat fish since he was a baby) and there is no stopping him from walloping sashimi now when we eat Japanese food. He is now 12. :D

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Aiyah, I thought....this topic.... I thought.... -_- がっかりしました... :cry: :wink:

I think sashimi is good for people in general - after all, the Japanese philosophy is to partake of nature's goodness in as original and untampered form as possible. Cooking, as we already know, besides killing germs (most of the time), also destroys nutrients. Sashimi and green tea are probably the reasons the Japanese are the longest lived people in the world.

We have yet to convince DD to eat sashimi. She's very fussy. Would appreciate any tips. Actually, even for myself, sashimi only learnt to eat sashimi a few years ago; and only last year did I truly understand how good sashimi can be, courtesy of Hokkaido.

BTW Singapore sashimi is more suspect though, thanks to our poor climate - "fresh" food of any kind is rare in this country, unless you're prepared to pay.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:13 pm

hmm... just concern about the germs in sashimi...after all, it's raw food mah...

Sashimi,
what jap words you said? dun understand lah. :oops:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 pm

smurf wrote:what jap words you said? dun understand lah. :oops:

Compliments of google translate:

がっかりしました = was disappointed ... Most times online translation may not be accurate in terms of sentence structure but good enough to decipher the meaning :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 am

smurf wrote:hmm... just concern about the germs in sashimi...after all, it's raw food mah...

Sashimi,
what jap words you said? dun understand lah. :oops:

smurf ah... sashimi thought the topic was about him :)

And to stick to the topic, my son gobbles salmon like he is drinking water. Which is good because he hardly takes anything else. That's why when we do buffet, we have to ensure there is an endless supply of salmon sashimi just so we can get back our money's worth.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby foreverj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 am

hi chief

hehe, that's very true for me. the only reason why i can get my money worth for buffet is if they have sashimi. doesn't fill tummy so fast plus high-value item! :) one time i was so disappointed when i reached and realised no sashimi that day :cry:

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 am

foreverj wrote:... one time i was so disappointed when i reached and realised no sashimi that day :cry:

I'll cry foul and ask for my money back :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 am

The only way to get me to eat fish willingly is to give it to me raw. I don't like the smell and taste of it when it's cooked. I also hate the bones due to a number of choking incidents through my life, one of which was really bad. sashimi (my DH, not the food :politebleah:) knows this so if he wants me to eat any cooked fish at all, he has to serve me, and even then, I will eat it last so that I have enough space in my bowl/plate to mash the fish with my spoon to ensure that there are absolutely no more bones.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
foreverj wrote:... one time i was so disappointed when i reached and realised no sashimi that day :cry:

I'll cry foul and ask for my money back :)

unfortunately they replaced the sashimi with alaska crab so suppose to be even more expensive. but i stil prefer my sashimi leh... :roll:

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop