Allergic to Nuts--Can drink peanut soup?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Allergic to Nuts--Can drink peanut soup?

Postby clioclio » Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Just want to ask:
My girl 6 yrs old has asthma (not very severe kind, but have asthmatic cough everytime she eats nuts or nut containing stuff --eg. Nutella or Ferrero Rocher etc) so we have cut off all nutty stuff..

But just want to ask, how about cooking peanut soup? is it the same? should I avoid?

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Allergic to Nuts--Can drink peanut soup?

Postby ammonite » Sat May 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Tree nuts and ground nuts are different. Ds is allergic to peanuts but not to tree nuts. If u must test, test with a v small amount and medication at hand. Ds reacts to less than a tsp of peanut butter within minutes, so for him peanut soup is definitely out. Tree nuts and seeds are not a problem for him at all.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm

clioclio wrote:Just want to ask:
My girl 6 yrs old has asthma (not very severe kind, but have asthmatic cough everytime she eats nuts or nut containing stuff --eg. Nutella or Ferrero Rocher etc) so we have cut off all nutty stuff..

But just want to ask, how about cooking peanut soup? is it the same? should I avoid?

If drink soup only, do not eat the nuts?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Sometimes grandparents cook peanut soup, we are not sure if she can take it.
DD use to eat nuts like cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, walnuts as snacks. Groundnuts also..she enjoys seeing the nuts in a pod :O and then she goes down with the cough --in the end hve to use the neubaliser, ventolin puff, etc..cost us a bomb!
my Mum says Peanut soup is not the same, but peanut is groundnuts also leh..

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

clioclio wrote:Sometimes grandparents cook peanut soup, we are not sure if she can take it.
DD use to eat nuts like cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, walnuts as snacks. Groundnuts also..she enjoys seeing the nuts in a pod :O and then she goes down with the cough --in the end hve to use the neubaliser, ventolin puff, etc..cost us a bomb!
my Mum says Peanut soup is not the same, but peanut is groundnuts also leh..

I guess it depends on how allergic she is and exactly what part she is allergic to? I know some airlines don't serve peanuts on board now as even the airborne bits can trigger some people's allergies. A friend of mine has a child who is so allergic that just accidentally drinking from the cup his brother used after eating peanuts triggered allergies. If you want to try, just give her a spoonful to see what happens, but make sure you have the remedies handy.

Also, do check which nuts she is allergic to. As someone has pointed out, being allergic to peanuts doesn't necessarily mean that she will be allergic to other types of nuts, eg. almonds or cashews.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyBlueBear » Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm

clioclio wrote:Just want to ask:

clioclio

My 10yo son get peanut allergies when he eats canned peanuts, peanut butter and the salted peanuts snacks. Yet he loves peanuts! :cry: However, once we made peanut soup with the fresh peanut plants from the market and he drank the soup with lots of the peeled peanuts, no problem! :please: I guess it could be because the peanuts are fresh ones and not processed. I've heard that peanut butter is the worst cos they used those that are almost going bad and consumers can't tell the quality by the look of the peanut butter.

Think you can let your girl try a little of the peanut soup first if you are worried.

HappyBlueBear
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clioclio » Sun May 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Ok, thank you
I will give it a try...after that expensive lesson (aka Numerous trips to paeds) was kinda worried to risk it.

But i am cantonese and i love my peanut soup. LOL...
Shall let her try and monitor her reaction!

Btw, i didn't know Peanut butter is so bad... but i would not be surprised because I heard its the same with sausages. Since we can't SEE what is in the sausages anyway.
But NUTELLA leh? love the hazelnut :P

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby nicnac » Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 am

My child feels uncomfortable when everyone starts eating the peanut snacks in the plane, so I just have her shield her mouth/nose with her jacket.

She cannot stand the smell and feels sick whenever we have food with peanut around her. I am thankful that at least she does not suffer the most severe allergy reaction to peanuts.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tuckshop