Cheap and good sushi?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Cheap and good sushi?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 am

Any recommendations for cheap and good sushi in the west/central areas? Looking for somewhere to have lunch on Sat. Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Cheap and good sushi?

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 am

You called my name?

There is a reasonably priced buffet for lunch on weekdays (dinner is $31+) and you get more than sushi...

Kiseki in Orchard Central.

Lunch
11.30am – 3pm Dinner
6pm – 10.30pm
Monday-Friday
Adult : $19.80++
Child : $12.80++
(4 to 12 years old)
Saturday, Sunday,
Eve PH and PH
Adult : $27.80++
Child : $17.80++
(4 to 12 years old)

http://kisekirestaurant.com.sg/buffet.html
Last edited by sushi88 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 am

slmkhoo wrote:Any recommendations for cheap and good sushi in the west/central areas? Looking for somewhere to have lunch on Sat. Thanks!

Hi,

Unsure of the "cheap" benchmark here. But my kids like Genki Sushi. They are at 313 as well as Chinatown point. I found the sushi in Genki cheaper than sakae/ ichiban/ sushi tei. They also have a wider variety of sushi and the taste is decent too. The kids like how the sushi is being "delivered" to them.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 am

MMM wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Any recommendations for cheap and good sushi in the west/central areas? Looking for somewhere to have lunch on Sat. Thanks!

Hi,

Unsure of the "cheap" benchmark here. But my kids like Genki Sushi. They are at 313 as well as Chinatown point. I found the sushi in Genki cheaper than sakae/ ichiban/ sushi tei. They also have a wider variety of sushi and the taste is decent too. The kids like how the sushi is being "delivered" to them.

'Cheap' means exactly that! We usually go to Sakae, but find that the standard seems to have gone down. Haven't tried Genki for a long time - I'll suggest that. Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am

try EDO? not too nice. std is like ntuc sushi.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:54 am

MMM wrote:

Hi,

Genki is still around? I thought they closed down years ago... Long time ago we like to eat at Genki at The Forum and airport until they closed down.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 am

May I suggest starting from fresh sushi counter at isetan supermarket or cold storage (takashimaya) supermarket and then go from there to judge price versus quality? Especially if you want to take raw items, freshness is paramount. Rate of turnover and amount of seasoning used in rice also makes a difference (some places put more alcohol/salt/sugar to ensure food safety, and the results taste horrible).

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 am

ammonite wrote:May I suggest starting from fresh sushi counter at isetan supermarket or cold storage (takashimaya) supermarket and then go from there to judge price versus quality? Especially if you want to take raw items, freshness is paramount. Rate of turnover and amount of seasoning used in rice also makes a difference (some places put more alcohol/salt/sugar to ensure food safety, and the results taste horrible).

I wanted to recommend Isetan sushi bar at Scotts/Westgate, but not sure how big is slmkhoo's group cos it's all barstools. Isetan serves the BEST "portable" sushi. I always tapao from (1) isetan. Nicer than (2) Taka's. Followed by (3) Market Place.

The key diff lies in the vinegared rice.

Genki is Jackie Chan's sushi joint is it? I ate it at the Airport and in HK.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 am

jetsetter wrote:
ammonite wrote:May I suggest starting from fresh sushi counter at isetan supermarket or cold storage (takashimaya) supermarket and then go from there to judge price versus quality? Especially if you want to take raw items, freshness is paramount. Rate of turnover and amount of seasoning used in rice also makes a difference (some places put more alcohol/salt/sugar to ensure food safety, and the results taste horrible).

I wanted to recommend Isetan sushi bar at Scotts/Westgate, but not sure how big is slmkhoo's group cos it's all barstools. Isetan serves the BEST "portable" sushi. I always tapao from (1) isetan. Nicer than (2) Taka's. Followed by (3) Market Place.

The key diff lies in the vinegared rice.

Genki is Jackie Chan's sushi joint is it? I ate it at the Airport and in HK.

Just 4 of us - it's my daughter's birthday on Sat. Barstools are OK. Will remember your recommendations for take-away too! Actually, we usually buy take-away from supermarkets and eat at home, but thought of eating out for once.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sailor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 am

can we have a sushi party

sailor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop