What's the sauce used in Thai food?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

What's the sauce used in Thai food?

Postby sparks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Just had a yummy basil rice lunch bought from a Thai food stall.

Anyone know what is the sauce that's used for cooking basil rice/phad thai/fried bee hoon? It must be the same sauce as the taste is distinct & flavourful. It's a bit dark coloured. What's the brand pls & where to get it? :drool:

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: What's the sauce used in Thai food?

Postby Funz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:44 pm

:scratchhead: Fish sauce?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sparks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Hmmm, I've only started recently to use fish sauce in my cooking (knife brand ) n recently tried the red boat brand from Vietnam, but both are very mild tasting not enough to give d needed omph to a dish. Is it something else?

Has anyone heard of this Golden Mountain Sauce from Thailand? Is it possible to get in Spore?

http://www.templeofthai.com/food/sauces ... 262041.php

http://www.thepasadenachef.com/2011/11/ ... sauce.html

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby DaddyKC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:53 pm

sparks wrote:Just had a yummy basil rice lunch bought from a Thai food stall.

Anyone know what is the sauce that's used for cooking basil rice/phad thai/fried bee hoon? It must be the same sauce as the taste is distinct & flavourful. It's a bit dark coloured. What's the brand pls & where to get it? :drool:

Basil rice uses about the same condiments as chinese stir fry. Combines dark soysauce, oyster sauce(you may buy thai or local oyster sauce) and fish sauce. Most importantly to add in basil leaves just at the last 1 min of stir fry.

Phad thai has to use tamarind sauce that is squeezed from the pulp. Fish sauce is also used for the stirfry.

DaddyKC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Integer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:59 pm

sparks wrote:Hmmm, I've only started recently to use fish sauce in my cooking (knife brand ) n recently tried the red boat brand from Vietnam, but both are very mild tasting not enough to give d needed omph to a dish. Is it something else?

Has anyone heard of this Golden Mountain Sauce from Thailand? Is it possible to get in Spore?

http://www.templeofthai.com/food/sauces ... 262041.php

http://www.thepasadenachef.com/2011/11/ ... sauce.html

Our Little Thailand - Golden Mile Complex, would prob be a gd place to source for this sauce.

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:47 pm

sparks wrote:Just had a yummy basil rice lunch bought from a Thai food stall.

I love basil beef with fried egg and rice too. I always buy the premixed Pad Kra Pao sauce from BKK. But I believe some local supermarkets or Golden Mile provision shops should carry the paste too. I've tried Lobo brand before. Don't ask me why got 2 diff designs...hehe

With this paste, I don't even need to add any Thai fish sauce to my minced chicken/beef. It's the exact flavour liao. Btw you need to fry with minced garlic and chili padi. Lastly, throw in some fresh basil and stir fry briefly. Fast to cook, good to eat for busy gluttons.

For frying Pad Thai and tang hoon, you can just buy the premixed Pad Thai sauce. This Lobo one comes with minced roasted peanuts too. So convenient!
If you like this a lot, you can buy a jar.

A good iron cast wok is very impt for frying Pad Thai and tang hoon.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Think Thai food outlets use fish sauce for Tom yum soup...because I do not feel thirsty after drinking soup. I love spicy tang hoon fried in Thai style.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sparks » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Think must make d trip to golden mile complex liao. Tried to google for online shop but can't find any. Funny cos UK n usa can get them easily online. Even amazon sell that sauce I am looking for, free shipping to spore somemore. How ironic when we in asia can't?

Tks for d ready mix recommendations, jetsetter. Perfect for lazy days!

Like to stock good sauces for days when I'm in that 'cooking mood', hehe.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Think must make d trip to golden mile complex liao. Tried to google for online shop but can't find any. Funny cos UK n usa can get them easily online. Even amazon sell that sauce I am looking for, free shipping to spore somemore. How ironic when we in asia can't?

Tks for d ready mix recommendations, jetsetter. Perfect for lazy days!

Like to stock good sauces for days when I'm in that 'cooking mood', hehe.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Think Thai food outlets use fish sauce for Tom yum soup...because I do not feel thirsty after drinking soup. I love spicy tang hoon fried in Thai style.

I use fish sauce than soya sauce for home cooking but my kids dont like the taste - say its fishy.

:lol:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop