All about pressure cooker

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

All about pressure cooker

Postby osim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:05 pm

I would like to get a pressure cooker. Please share your likes and dislikes about your pressure cooker if you are using one and state the brand. TIA.

Understand a pressure cooker must operate at 15PSI and some brands cant't achieve that pressure and thus confuse the cooking time.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: All about pressure cooker

Postby b2b3m4 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 pm

I have been using my WMF pressure cooker for years. No problems so far...
Just need to replace the rubber sealing ring once in a while.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby osim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 am

b2b3m4 wrote:I have been using my WMF pressure cooker for years. No problems so far...
Just need to replace the rubber sealing ring once in a while.

Thanks! I just got WMF pressure cooker a week ago. There is a sale on and the price is really awesome. Actually I wanted a Kuhn Rikon but it is not sold here. Glad to hear that your cooker has been working faithfully as I was told WMF has no warranty unlike in US.

I am new to this method of cooking. My family love stewed and braised meats so I hope to master how to use it ASAP. Do you know of any good Asian cooking recipe book that is for pressure cooker? WMF included one in my set which is quite good but it will be nice to know more.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby petpetjunior » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am

I used the electric one from Philips.. It's a life saver whenever I am running short of time.. I can whip up a soup and DH will think I boil it for hours...

petpetjunior
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zbear » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm

So what is the difference between a Pressure Cooker and Thermal Pot if both have the same functions?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 pm

zbear wrote:So what is the difference between a Pressure Cooker and Thermal Pot if both have the same functions?

Pressure cooker cooks in a shorter time, thermal pot a long long time. They r not the same.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 am

zbear wrote:So what is the difference between a Pressure Cooker and Thermal Pot if both have the same functions?

A pressure cooker uses high pressure to cook food faster while a thermal pot retains the heat longer to cook the food. Pressure cookers will need continual supply of heat from stove or electric element (depending on type of pressure cooker), while thermal pots only need heat at the beginning of cooking.

I still dare not use pressure cookers - they just sound too scary!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby osim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am

petpetjunior wrote:I used the electric one from Philips.. It's a life saver whenever I am running short of time.. I can whip up a soup and DH will think I boil it for hours...

Yes, it's really fast. I made congee in just 6 minutes. Now I can prepare congee in the morning for the kids breakfast without having to be up too early.

I am still learning how to use. I followed the recipe timing but had over cooked a couple of dishes. 6 minutes for chicken stew with potato and carrots was too long. The meat started falling off the bone and potato and carrots was a bit mushy but dd liked it.

How do you manage cooking the ingredient in a recipe that requires different timing? Isn't it too troublesome cook 1 item, then depressurised the pot and put in another item? It seems to me that pressure cooker is more suitable for dishes that has ingredient that can take same amount of cooking time.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby osim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

Pressure cooker (PC) cooks food at pressure of 12-15 PSI (pounds per square inch). At that pressure, the steaming point of liquid is raised by about 20 deg Celsius so food can cook at a higher temperature of up to say 120 deg Celsius instead of the usual 100 deg. That is why it cook so fast.

From what I observe from my WMF PC, first the cooker bring the liquid inside the pot to 100deg with application of high heat, then steam is pushed out thru a valve and up to a certain point , I hear a click locking sound of the valve which means the inside is ready to build pressure. The pressure gauge will start to rise and when it reaches the pressure you want, you lower heat. From then on is the start of cooking time.

If you forget to lower heat and pressure keeps building inside pot, there is another safety valve near handle that will cause the steam to leave the pot to reduce pressure. Another safety feature is the steam will also release from side of lid in worse case scenario. But when steam is released from the safety valve, it makes a sound that gradually gets louder as more steam releases. The new generation of PC are safe to use but must go for reputable brands.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Gifts from Heaven » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:32 pm

osim wrote:
petpetjunior wrote:I used the electric one from Philips.. It's a life saver whenever I am running short of time.. I can whip up a soup and DH will think I boil it for hours...

Yes, it's really fast. I made congee in just 6 minutes. Now I can prepare congee in the morning for the kids breakfast without having to be up too early.

I am still learning how to use. I followed the recipe timing but had over cooked a couple of dishes. 6 minutes for chicken stew with potato and carrots was too long. The meat started falling off the bone and potato and carrots was a bit mushy but dd liked it.

How do you manage cooking the ingredient in a recipe that requires different timing? Isn't it too troublesome cook 1 item, then depressurised the pot and put in another item? It seems to me that pressure cooker is more suitable for dishes that has ingredient that can take same amount of cooking time.

Hi osim,
can share ur recipe for PC congee and chicken stew?
I've a tefal PC but I've never used it for cooking anything else except soup :roll: .

TIA.

Gifts from Heaven
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop