Breakfast Recipe Club

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

How often do you feed your children/yourself breakfast?

Everyday, breakfast is the most important meal of the day
94%
Every weekday
6%
Every weekend
No votes
Only when I remember or have time
No votes
I wake up too late for that, we have brunch
No votes

Total votes : 16

S l e e p .... and pre-dawn breakfasts

Postby sashimi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Original Title: S l e e p .... and pre-dawn breakfasts

Starting P1 next year, my daughter needs to get up earlier and reach school by 7.20. Thankfully, we got her into a nearby school within walking distance.

I'm concerned about her getting enough sleep from next year. I am a huge advocate of the notion that adequate sleep is essential for growing kids.

How is your child's schedule like? I'm interested to know how parents handle this.

A related matter is how to get the child to eat something before school? My DD's stomach doesn't seem to wake up until afternoon, most of the time!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: S l e e p .... and pre-dawn breakfasts

Postby lizawa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:11 pm

sashimi wrote:Starting P1 next year, my daughter needs to get up earlier and reach school by 7.20. Thankfully, we got her into a nearby school within walking distance.

I'm concerned about her getting enough sleep from next year. I am a huge advocate of the notion that adequate sleep is essential for growing kids.

How is your child's schedule like? I'm interested to know how parents handle this.

A related matter is how to get the child to eat something before school? My DD's stomach doesn't seem to wake up until afternoon, most of the time!

My children take afternoon naps when they are in the morning session. After the afternoon naps, they are more refreshed to do other stuff. Normally they are in bed by 9:30 or 10pm.

Sleep early, if your child is not used to afternoon naps. Some of the classmates sleep as early as 8.30pm, but they don't take afternoon naps.

Breakfast is important, no matter how little they eat. Even a glass of hot milo or milk and a small slice of bread is better than nothing. They will get their recess break around 9:30 or 10am.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cmm » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:18 pm

My girl starting P1 next year too, but in PM session.

School starts at 1230pm. I'm planning to have her wake up by 9am, have a pack of milk (her digestive system doesn't wake up till later), do her hw, and have brunch at 11am. Recess time is at 3pm.

Parents with kids in PM session> what's your child's daily schedule like?

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Same schedule as lizawa for morning session. A slice of bread, a bowl of cereal or a slice of cake,. Drink either warm milo or cold milk. Afternoon nap for my dd which ds will have to follow too next year.

For afternoon session, same as CMM. The only different is that ds wakes up at 7.30 am. So he has his bf early. Lunch (rice/noodle) by 11 am. He sleeps at 10 pm. Only on his chess club day which he will be in school since morning, he sleeps as early as 8.30pm.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasulang » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 am

When my elder son started Pri.1, he was in the pm session. He is used to wake up early for his morning swim. He drinks a cup of milk and eats a slice of bread. After his training, he has his breakfast around 9am. Before leaving for school around 12.30pm, he has his lunch. We pack for him 2 slices of bread and give him some pocket money which he normally will save up.

Now, he is in morning session, we pack for him 3 slices of bread and some pocket money which again he normally will save up. This time, he goes for his evening swim. He doesn't take his nap, instead he used the time to read story books. However, we make sure he sleeps early.

kiasulang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BlueBells » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:05 pm

My girl will be in P1 next year, her schedule will be something like this:

6:45 am - wakes up, breakfast (milk and egg or bread depending on what she wants, she usually pre-order her breakfast the night before)

7:40 am - Student care centre. School bus will pick her up from the centre, send her to school, and drop her home by 7:15pm.

7:15 pm to 8pm - dinner / shower

8pm - homework

9pm / 9:30 pm - bedtime

My elder had this same routine when she is in P1, so it will be pretty much the same. Since the school bus ride home is about 30 minutes, I ask them to take a cat nap in the school bus, so that will sustain them until bedtime at night.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:42 pm

My next yr's P1's schedule is tentative like this...

6.15am - wake up
6.30am - get up
6.45am - breakfast (may let him eat in front of disney channel :wink:)
7.10am - leave the house

Bedtime will be 8 or 8.30pm depending on how late is the dinner.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 pm

jedamum wrote:...
6.15am - wake up
6.30am - get up

15mins of snnoooozzzze time?? :lol:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EN » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Jedamum. The snoozy time is for the mummy or for the child? :wink:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizawa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:11 pm

jedamum wrote:My next yr's P1's schedule is tentative like this...

6.15am - wake up
6.30am - get up
6.45am - breakfast (may let him eat in front of disney channel :wink:)
7.10am - leave the house

Bedtime will be 8 or 8.30pm depending on how late is the dinner.

For the past few years, our schedule has been :

6:15 am - wake up
6:40 am - finish breakfast, dressed and ready to leave home
6:45am - at the car park, ready to leave.
6:58 - 7 am : arrive at school

Becos' i drive them to school, traffic becomes bad after 7am, so we try to arrive before the jam starts at the school gate. In our school, the children are expected to arrive by 7:15am.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop